It's happening again

WilkoRam

At the end of every season I'm left annoyed and all the issues I had at the end of the previous season come back. At this time of year, however, I can't help but get excited. I think about new signings, the possibility of playing some good football and adding a bit of flair to our play. I get sucked in by all the top 6 talk and potential signings.

Does this happen to every fan or am I just a sucker for a good sound bite?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happens to me every year too, although this year I'm convinced, or at least I've convinced myself, that we're in better shape than we have been for a decade. I know we did well in Billy's promotion season but that came as a surprise to me - I think that the squad for next season is better than I believed the promotion season squad was before the season started (if that makes any sense).

Hughes and Hendrick will be another year older, stronger and more experienced. I truly believe that they will dominate most games. Brayford and Bryson both had injury issues last season - which are hopefully behind them. We should have a little more consistency in goal. Roberts was pretty poor in many games last season, hopefully his replacement will add pace, better positioning and maybe even height if Forsyth signs. Sammon should be improved by international football - although I believe that he will be peripheral player next season. Martin should be fitter, which should be a plus. Buxton played with injuries for most of last season - hopefully even a fit Jake will be another improvement, a better replacement would be another huge step.

So for me, even if we signed no-one, the team which finished last season (including Martin and Forsyth) would be better next season without any additions. Add Grant, Russell and a new centre-half and we really should be top six.

So all we've got to do now is get Forsyth and a centre-half, don't sell anyone in the first team picture and keep everybody fit. It's easy this football management lark. :D

I miss football during the summer, cos it's my 'vent'. But it's been years since I was excited. Perhaps the nervous anticipation following promotion, and then the misguided expectation after relegation, were the last times I felt excited.

I'm the other way around. I get excited every year but this year I'm not expecting much. Top 10 really.

I got especially excited when we practiced 4231 all summer and we constantly tried to pass it. I

was excited on the opening day at Leeds despite Lawrenson taking the pi55 saying we are trying to copy Brazil, first with the yellow kit and then dangerously passing under pressure. I was really excited.

Not this year. And I hope it's another year where I'm wrong. I just don't see us getting more men beyond the ball. It doesn't seem Nigel's way. I expect flat lines still. Maybe not in the early games but as the season wears on and tiredness kicks in.

At home I think we'll be still be strong. Top 5.

Alpha you've brought me back to reality. That's how I feel and how I now feel again. In so fickle and easily swayed. But yeah I agree I was excited by the 4-2-3-1 and how we played that year and have been disappointed ever since with the 4-4-2. But hey maybe it'll change. Maybe we'll pass it. Maybe we'll be creative rather than just industrious.

Alpha you've brought me back to reality. That's how I feel and how I now feel again. In so fickle and easily swayed. But yeah I agree I was excited by the 4-2-3-1 and how we played that year and have been disappointed ever since with the 4-4-2. But hey maybe it'll change. Maybe we'll pass it. Maybe we'll be creative rather than just industrious.

I don't think creativity was an issue, there was a fair few games last season (Ipswich stands out) where we threw everything we could at that goal/defence and got no reward, the chances are being made by the midfield and that's why Johnny has come in to put the icing on the cake of frustration :)

Have to disagree. So often, particularly mid season, it was just pass it to Wardy and see what he can do.

I agree there were a few games, we needed a switch of formation some teams found us out a bit. With the Brayford/Coutts combination down the right (which we coincidently missed when Brayf was out) Switching to Ward was usually when we lost the battle in the midfield and with nothing happening up top a bit of desperation, but we know how well we can play and the potential is there always.

I think we'll see what we're capable of with someone who knows where the net is and can see us really taking teams apart next season!

Oh no I've caught the bug!

Have to disagree. So often, particularly mid season, it was just pass it to Wardy and see what he can do.

Ward wasn't playing Mid season he was injured.

You have to remember Mid to the end of the Season we had no Wardy, Hughes, Brayford so the creativity deminished with them being injured.

With Brayford and Coutts linking up again we options on the right,

With Hughes we have options in the centre.

With Ward on the Left we have options.

Two new Strikers to collect the ball from the midfield I think it puts us in good stead..

Archived