It's happening again

WilkoRam

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The home Derby will be worth backing to finish in the top 6

The away Derby you'd expect to finish in the bottom 8.

I think it's that simple. The early season enthusiasm should show HOW Derby can play. It does every year. But then it eventually becomes about protecting points away from home (and failing) and being more true to ourselves at home.

The away Derby cost us a play off spot last year. We were one of the poorest sides.

Maybe with apparent pressure coming down on Nigel he'll 'go for it'.

I just think in mid season it's easy to go to Millwall and try to bore out a point. It's easy to slip into that mode as it is to assume you can win every home game.

We need to be braver and more confident away. Arrogance can't hurt us. We're a grounded team.

Nigel has assembled some decent ball players. However the lack of depth means tired players start becoming scrappy as the season wears on.

As always you won't learn much until the season getting on. It'll test your character and depth of the squad. I hope this year they are arrogant enough, brave enough and there's enough of them to keep pushing on into the early months of next year.

The harder reality seems to be we're investing about an extra 1 million on players (assuming we DONT sell a major player) - which seems to be the same as the last few seasons. So for all the talk from the top of making statements of intent....... our investment in the playing squad is still relatively modest & our squad will cost substantially less than a number of our competitors.

For all the excitement (me included) Jonny Russell also seems to be a relatively low-cost, high-value signing who may come good - his goal scoring record is not outstanding in a variable quality SPL (you should visit Dingwall, home of Ross County - its smaller than Ashbourne !). So hope the crowd dont expect too much too soon.

Cloughie's record at Burton was one of gradual improvement - playoffs in 2007-8 then it all clicked to smash the league in 2008-9 (that is until he left to join us). Our gradual improvement suggests we might be at the stage of getting into the playoffs

- and can dream of this being a season where it all clicks & we smash the league :)

I was hoping Nigel knew why we're so ***** away!! He's a manager!

You can see the flat banks of 4 and lack of forward options. The lack of movement ahead of the ball.

At home it's much less obvious. It's like everyone has more energy!

It's easy to see what's going wrong. But only a man involved in football would have the knowledge to change something. We don't know half of what Nigel knows about our players.

I thought a football manager would know how and why players do that and how to train them to assess risk and take up positions in front of the ball.

If he doesn't then we're gonna be ***** away again!

I'm hoping he just doesn't want to discuss his tactics with the world!

We try and play  the same home and away - but away from home we seem to have less perseverance. Every away game seems to be the same.

First 0-(10-30 minutes): playing very well, lots of energy - creating chances, good passing and movement.

and then therefore on and after, we start playing this 'reactive football' and just 'panic'

at home we're a lot more settled, that's it for me - just that, perseverance and confidence in what they're doing and perhaps a lack of fitness.  

We try and play  the same home and away - but away from home we seem to have less perseverance. Every away game seems to be the same.

First 0-(10-30 minutes): playing very well, lots of energy - creating chances, good passing and movement.

and then therefore on and after, we start playing this 'reactive football' and just 'panic'

at home we're a lot more settled, that's it for me - just that, perseverance and confidence in what they're doing and perhaps a lack of fitness.  

We don't at all and I've said it numerous times. Sadly I have no permission to present the (opta-esque) stats that a contact compiles, but the if you imagine pitch split into 6ths and not 3rds, you'd note that at home we play

(excl GK)

0-4-0-5-1-0.  Away, our defence and midfield are deeper in a

4-0-5-0-1-0 which leaves us more vulnerable to opposition attack and less likely to create goals.

We don't at all and I've said it numerous times. Sadly I have no permission to present the (opta-esque) stats that a contact compiles, but the if you imagine pitch split into 6ths and not 3rds, you'd note that at home we play

(excl GK)

4-0-5-0-1-0 which leaves us more vulnerable to opposition attack and less likely to create goals.

So you're telling me Clough purposely goes out and says 'alright boys, all that good we're doing at home - forget about it, I want to see us vulnerable to the oppositions attacks and less likely to create chances' ? 

I think it's a case of the players falling in behind the ball, and not having the perseverance to play on the front foot - I can't see why Clough would purposely ask his players to play worse away from home.  

So you're telling me Clough purposely goes out and says 'alright boys, all that good we're doing at home - forget about it, I want to see us vulnerable to the oppositions attacks and less likely to create chances' ? 

I think it's a case of the players falling in behind the ball, and not having the perseverance to play on the front foot - I can't see why Clough would purposely ask his players to play worse away from home.  

No, I'm not telling you that, and no I doubt very much he asks them to play worse.

I think the results are a by-product of the slight tactical adjustment.

(excl GK)

Mostyn this is the result of a lack of belief. It's in the mind not the tactics. The players themselves have said they play no differently (tactics) away from home. The thing lacking was someone to put the ball in the net even against the run of play. Once the team believes it will click. Football is as much about strength of mind as much as ability (assuming you have the necessary basics ability which we have). Once the team believe then us fans will believe and the whole thing takes off.

No reason why this coming season can't be our season.

I am more optimistic this season than for a long time, we have a settled squad, played decent football at times last season and at least show some sort of ambition going forward in games. I'm just unsure still if we have enough fire power up front with Russell, I guess time will tell.

On the down side though, my cousin has recently passed away and was only in his young fifties. I've sat next to him for years, both of us having been STH's since 1970, so next season will be a challenge on several fronts both on and off the pitch.

I am more optimistic this season than for a long time, we have a settled squad, played decent football at times last season and at least show some sort of ambition going forward in games. I'm just unsure still if we have enough fire power up front with Russell, I guess time will tell.

On the down side though, my cousin has recently passed away and was only in his young fifties. I've sat next to him for years, both of us having been STH's since 1970, so next season will be a challenge on several fronts both on and off the pitch.

Sorry to hear that Donny Ram, what will you do? Move seats to have a clean break and make it new?

Archived