Trapattoni urges James McCarthy and Jeff Hendrick to find Premier League clubs

DcfcNews12

I don't think Hendrick could play in the PL yet. He's better off here where he will get games rather than sign for a low PL club and sit on the bench every week and when he does play it'll likely be for the 2nd best team on the pitch.

He's not outgrown us yet.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some of this may be lost in translation. I think Trappatoni is trying to big up some of his players by saying they're good enough to play in the Premier League.

I think those saying Hendrick isn't ready are way off the mark! There's an old cliche in football, "if you're old enough, you're good enough!".

There are many players playing in the Premier league in the same position as Hendrick who he's just as good as, if not better. Be it homegrown or cheap foreign imports.

Would anyone rather have Jake Livermore here? What about some of those Villa midfielders? Bannan? Hendrick is plenty good enough to hold his own at the highest level IMO.

Hendrick should absolutely stay where he is. He's at a big club with big crowds and the Championship is a better level than a lot of the smaller European leagues. He won't get more game time in the Premiership yet. Should stay and work hard at Derby for a few more years at least.

Did Trapattoni go to Pride Park last season? My mate told me he went to a game around Feb time but haven't seen it confirmed anywhere?

Hendrick is quality. Bursting runs, reminds me of a younger Gerrard without the long balls. Sky's the limit for him. Will be a very good premiership and Irish player

Without the long balls? Hendricks long ball is the best in the squad. He can pick out a player anywhere on the pitch!

this has now taken a more sinister twist with the comments made by Trappatoni quoted in todays DET: http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-19241907-detail/story.html#axzz2VnOxwkhS

For example, why are Conor Sammon and Jeff Hendrick in the Championship?

“I ask myself this because when I see the games in the Premier League, I know they are good enough.

“I’m not just saying this because they are my players. Quality is quality.”

Trapattoni suggested that the likes of midfielder Hendrick and striker Sammon may have to leave Derby in order to fulfil their potential on the international stage.

“If these players have the possibility to play for top clubs, they have to do it,” he added. “If they were playing for better sides, they would have more of the ball and be more confident when they come with us.

“It is easier for them to leave when their contract is over because they can go for free.

“It’s more difficult when the club must pay but I have asked the players which agents they have because it is important for them to see if there are possibilities for them to leave.”

I think he's crossed the line here

this has now taken a more sinister twist with the comments made by Trappatoni quoted in todays DET: http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-19241907-detail/story.html#axzz2VnOxwkhS

For example, why are Conor Sammon and Jeff Hendrick in the Championship?

“I ask myself this because when I see the games in the Premier League, I know they are good enough.

“I’m not just saying this because they are my players. Quality is quality.”

Trapattoni suggested that the likes of midfielder Hendrick and striker Sammon may have to leave Derby in order to fulfil their potential on the international stage.

“If these players have the possibility to play for top clubs, they have to do it,” he added. “If they were playing for better sides, they would have more of the ball and be more confident when they come with us.

“It is easier for them to leave when their contract is over because they can go for free.

“It’s more difficult when the club must pay but I have asked the players which agents they have because it is important for them to see if there are possibilities for them to leave.”

I think he's crossed the line here.

Terrible set of quotes that. I'm starting to seriously dislike Trapatoni. Not only does he try to get our lads tapped up, he leaves keogh out and plays St Ledger.

If he wants to make Jeff more confident, fecking play him, Trust him and don't hold him back "sitting in"

I don't think we'd have any issue keeping hold of Conor Sammon but Jeff is another kettle of fish altogether.

feck of you senile old bugger, what have you ever done for football anyway? ;-)

I wonder if Nige reads this whether one or two of our lads might have little niggles next time the squad is announced, I hope so.

Keep your bloody nose out of our business Trapa.

Sammon has already played and failed in the premiership, he's since failed in the championship. Trapattoni must be going a bit senile.  :rolleyes: 

He really ought to check out this forum to monitor how good our players are. Many posters on here appear to know much more than a number of people who are actually involved in professional football at the highest levels.

Hang on, could some of those posters be wrong sometimes? Surely not,.....phew, don't know what happened there for a minute :)

He really ought to check out this forum to monitor how good our players are. Many posters on here appear to know much more than a number of people who are actually involved in professional football at the highest levels.

Hang on, could some of those posters be wrong sometimes? Surely not,.....phew, don't know what happened there for a minute :)

You're right there, every managers decision and opinion is correct every single time, cos let's face it, they're the professional.

Dont know why we bother ever discussing or giving an opinion on football, cos at the end of the day, every single one of us is wrong and the professional is right every single time  :rolleyes:

I think Trap's job can be considered a pretty high level, so he should already know that Sammon couldn't force his way into a perpetually struggling Wigan side.....IN the Premier League.

I think he's basing certain quotes on a few things Hendrick himself* has said, but jumping is to the wrong conclusions.

Hendrick appears to naturally be one of those players who benefits from the 'arm around the shoulder' management approach, a very modest character who perhaps doesn't always have as much self-confidence as his ability should allow him.

Trapattoni thinks this is because he's not playing at the highest level, he appears to think this alone would boost Hendrick's confidence to the point that every appearance he makes would be approached without any caution.

He's known Hendrick a matter of months. Derby have known Hendrick a matter of years.

*such as:

“I’m happy, really, if I just don’t mess up on the pitch. I’m glad to set the lads up for a goal. If I am not scoring, I like to set someone else up.”

However, he modestly plays down his contribution to date.

When it was suggested to him that he looked like he belonged on the pitch against the Georgians, he said: “I don’t know about that.

“I am just happy to get on the pitch, as I said, and try to get as many minutes as possible and learn as many things as I can to improve my own game.

“I know when I get on the pitch, I have got to keep the ball moving and not really lose it because in international football, if you lose the ball, they do punish you.”

Trapattoni has spoken repeatedly of easing his young players into the team, and is keen for the likes of Seamus Coleman, James McCarthy and now Hendrick to be confident enough to express themselves and not to be “shy”.

Hendrick said: “He hasn’t said anything yet, but yes, maybe I should, I haven’t really thought about it that way.

At times, I am just giving the ball to people when I should do a bit more with it. I’m maybe a bit afraid of losing it.

You're right there, every managers decision and opinion is correct every single time, cos let's face it, they're the professional.

Dont know why we bother ever discussing or giving an opinion on football, cos at the end of the day, every single one of us is wrong and the professional is right every single time  :rolleyes:

In general, the professional is only right 99% of the time.

Just 100% of the time when disagreeing with you.

:p

Archived