Trapattoni urges James McCarthy and Jeff Hendrick to find Premier League clubs

DcfcNews12

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not surprised, nor shocked.

Trap should be encouraging his younger players to better themselves in a higher league - but if I was a premier league manager, I wouldn't be rushing out to sign Hendrick personally.

I think he is a good championship player, and a great championship player on his day - but, I think he'd only find himself in and out a first team picture in an established premier league side. 

This is the article on the BBC:

Trapattoni has also been delighted with the recent efforts of Derby midfielder Jeff Hendrick.

The 21-year-old could get a chance to face up to some of the world game's biggest names in the game.

Many of Trapattoni's players play in the lower reaches of the Premier League or the Championship, and that is a situation the Italian sometimes struggles to understand.

"I think very much about our players who play in the Championship and not in the Premier League," added the Republic boss.

"For example, Conor Sammon, Hendrick, they play Championship, and I have to ask why when I see the games in the Premier League and the way they play with us. Quality is quality."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22836598

Posted in the Irish Sun.

"Irish SunSport Monday: Trapattoni urges James McCarthy and Jeff Hendrick to find Premier League clubs @noriordan @FAIreland"

To be fair he finished by saying: "I don't want to get the managers or clubs angry, but I would like to see my players playing for top clubs. Unfortunately, they play in the Championship or at the bottom of the Premier League."

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/0609/455595-trap-spanish-challenge-for-mccarthy/

I think the Irish Sun have twisted the meaning a little bit.

Trapattoni says "They're too good for the Championship" (or words to that effect) = Irish Sun: "Trapattoni wants them to move to a Premier League team!"

Not quite the same :lol:

Edit - Just seen Networker's post. Disregard everything I've said :ph34r:

Also while we're on the subject...this:

JEFF Hendrick is hoping to win his fourth cap for the Republic of Ireland tonight, kick-off 7.45pm, but knows that he still has a lot to learn as a footballer.

The 21-year-old was named on the bench along with Derby County team-mates Conor Sammon and Richard Keogh – despite all three impressing in the 4-0 friendly win over Georgia last weekend – for the World Cup qualifier at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

But despite two full seasons with the Rams that have seen him establish himself at the heart of their midfield and making his senior international debut, Hendrick is staying grounded.

He said “Just because I’ve been called up to the senior squad for a few games doesn’t mean I’ve ‘made it’ at all.

“I am really determined to keep improving and that’s something that’s been drilled into me by the gaffer at Derby.

“But to be involved is great and hopefully I can get some more game time.”

Sammon who, like Hendrick, came off the bench to set up a goal for Robbie Keane against the Crusaders, has been hugely impressed with his Rams colleague for both club and country.

The striker said: “We all know Jeff has got the quality and I think the boys have been impressed with him in training.

“He’s grown and grown, and the season he’s had at Derby has been top-class.

“He’s still only 22, which is incredible, and he’s a great asset for the club.”

Keogh has yet to start a competitive game for Ireland, but scored on his full debut on Sunday, and both his club-mates feel he deserves another chance.

Hendrick said: “It would be good for Rich’s confidence if he could get some game time,” while Sammon added: “Rich deserves his chance, and, hopefully he’ll get that.”

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Sport/Derby-County-FC/Derby-Countys-Jeff-Hendrick-looking-to-progress-during-international-sojourn-with-Republic-of-Ireland-20130607060000.htm

I am really glad for Sammon in particular! 

for a man of traps reputation to single him out like that will do his confidence the world of good, and very impressed how he always brings his team mates into the limelight when he is interviewed, that's twice now he has mentioned both Hendrick and Keogh in an interview for irish media.

Conor Sammon for me is probably the most under-rated player in the country at present moment, personally hope it stays like that! 

I think all 3 of our players are doing themselves proud in the international ranks - Sammon has 2 assists to his name, so does Hendrick and Keogh has a goal to his name. 

He's going to be 22 in 6 months and if he develops next season as much as he has this season then he'll be one hell of a player. I seriously believe this is Hendricks last season in the Championship. 

Though I'm not that bothered...I also believe it will be with us that he becomes a Premier League player.

I am really glad for Sammon in particular! 

for a man of traps reputation to single him out like that will do his confidence the world of good, and very impressed how he always brings his team mates into the limelight when he is interviewed, that's twice now he has mentioned both Hendrick and Keogh in an interview for irish media.

Conor Sammon for me is probably the most under-rated player in the country at present moment, personally hope it stays like that! 

I think all 3 of our players are doing themselves proud in the international ranks - Sammon has 2 assists to his name, so does Hendrick and Keogh has a goal to his name. 

Last season was terrible for Sammon. I've said for a while now that this season will see the best of Sammon, and I think he'll be brilliant.

This forum is such a nicer place when everyone's feeling positive and upbeat! :lol:

I don't think I've ever been more positive about Derby than I am now tbh. We've signed 2 [excellent] players that would have gotten us in the playoffs last season (Grant & Russell). We've got 3 internationals all earning full caps. Our academy is prospering. And we've got a director of football who is strong, passionate, and basically not a bullshitter! Happy days!

I don't think I've ever been more positive about Derby than I am now tbh. We've signed 2 [excellent] players that would have gotten us in the playoffs last season (Grant & Russell). We've got 3 internationals all earning full caps. Our academy is prospering. And we've got a director of football who is strong, passionate, and basically not a bullshitter! Happy days!

Could not agree more mate. Happy days indeed!

Surely though, the fact that Hendrick isn't starting for Ireland, shows that he isn't quite ready for the Premier League. At best he'd be a benchwarmer for a relegation threatened team.

IMO, Hendrick would be far better to stay with us for another season. He's guaranteed a game whilst fitness and form hold and he is getting better all the time. I fully expect that this coming season will see him dominate the Championship and next summer will be the time for him to move into the Premier League as a regular starter - hopefully still with us.

?.... reminds me of a younger Gerrard without the long balls.

Good god......have you been swimming with him or summat?

Archived