Keeper Error

sage

How many goals can be mainly or partly attributed to keeper error this season?

How many points this cost us?

Two that spring to mind are against Peterborough home and away

Fielding's penalty give away at home and Ledgzins' fumble away. Neither cost us points though. From memory I can visualise at least 4-5 more but can't remember which games they were in.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There haven't been single catastrophic errors of the standard we saw from Bad Jones when he was here on loan - well, nothing in the 'let the ball between your legs when the shot's bounced twice before it has reached you' standard anyway - but the keeper is in charge and it is his job to help the central defenders regarding organising the defence.

It would also be nice to have a keeper who could distribute the ball with hand or foot - and by 'distribute' I don't mean 'distribute between rows J and Q'.

All goals should be attributed to a keeper error as by default the keeper should have saved them all.

In which case, I'll settle for a keeper who just makes the 40 a season.

The Palace goal at home.

I know there were excuses made at the time but Adams reactions in not getting to the ball earlier cost us the goal.

I noticed him and Keogh had a set to about it as well.

Both decent keepers and would have been happy with either of them next season. Maybe the management team think we needed someone with a bit more of a calming presence.

Keeper seems to me to be the one area where youth is not an advantage. I think it's worth noting that while most outfield players peak about 25/26, keepers tend to be closer to 29/30/31 to be in their prime.  Both Frank and Adam are or under 25. I would much rather we keep one of these (although it sounds like they'd rather move on) with Lee Grant.

If you don't make mistakes, you don't learn.

I sit in the East stand because I'm used to a side on view, but at Barnsley I sat behind the goal. What struck me was the inaccuracy of the kicking from goalkeeper to front man. The forward had to run at least 20 yards to get anywhere near it, every time; as a result they were always trying to control a ball moving away from them and on the run.

Last night I watched Swansea v Wigan. Not a top of the table clash by any means but both goalies managed on a fair number of occasions to roll the ball out and/or to kick it straight to one of their own players.

If Lee Grant can manage to increase the percentage of both we will be much better off. And the front players will be much less knackered as well as looking better footballers overnight.

Archived