What's the obsession with a 20 goal a season striker?

cheron85

Because our defence is not as good as teams above us. so WE need to score more, meaning we need that elusive 20 goal a season striker.

(Especially for away goals, we need just a player that can take one of the many chances we normally create)

I think you're looking in the wrong direction. If my fuel tank is leaking, the worst thing I could think is "I better get more fuel!"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand, why would a striker who scores not be involved with the rest of the game? Just because a few strikers do it doesn't mean the end of the world for the other 100,000+ other strikers in the world.

I didn't say that though if you read the post... I said you MIGHT end up with a player like that... As others have pointed out the likes of Van Persie who creates/contributes and scores are very very rare... You seem to be suggesting that most strikers out there score loads AND contribute?

I personally beleive we need a striker, you beleive we need defenders, its a forum and we have oppinions. I didnt mean to annoy or disrespect you with my over exagerated comment. But i beleive you can get strikers that contribute and score goals.

This is an example not a suggestion but romelu lukaku does what i want in a striker, gives 110%. I beleive sammon could be that. striker if he just put the bloody ball in the net more often! :D

I personally beleive we need a striker, you beleive we need defenders, its a forum and we have oppinions. I didnt mean to annoy or disrespect you with my over exagerated comment. But i beleive you can get strikers that contribute and score goals.

This is an example not a suggestion but romelu lukaku does what i want in a striker, gives 110%. I beleive sammon could be that. striker if he just put the bloody ball in the net more often! :D

I think we need both... But I think the chances of getting a 20 goal a season striker who also contributes to the team are slim, even if you spend money (See Craig Mackail-Smith who has less goals than Ward this season and cost £3m)

However I think it's easier to make a team of players who can all contribute with goals if you get the right balance. So if we're gonna spend £3m (for example) would rather than was on 5/6 players than a single forward...

I'd love to see him here as well. I think he's got real potential and has looked a finisher whenever I've seen him play.

I just get the feeling we're going for someone who's played at this level a bit more than he has. It's been a great breakthrough season for him but he's barely played 30 games.

The interviews and soundbites coming from pride park indicate that in the summer we'll be going for  experience. I think we're going all in for Jamie Vaughan.

I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing who we bring in and who we're linked with up front. One thing is certain, we're all hoping this one is our 15+goals a season man. Not too many around with experience at this level who can guarantee that kind of return.

Sharp?

Waghorn?

Mackie?

Jackson? 

Vaughan?

I'd be pleased with any of them as our marquis signing but I'd be delighted if we signed Simeon Jackson. I think he'd be top of my list.

I personally prefer us to share the goals out.

The season we had Rasiak, and he was carrying a small knock into the play-offs v Preston, him being off form meant we as a team were lacking too.

So for me, I'd rather not rely on a key striker.

Another thing I'll gladly give Clough credit for is the way he's created a team that shares responsibility. Yes, all strikers should hit double figures, but I wouldn't want a prolific striker who gets all the goals, simply cos it's our luck he'd be injured when we need him most.

I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing who we bring in and who we're linked with up front. One thing is certain, we're all hoping this one is our 15+goals a season man. Not too many around with experience at this level who can guarantee that kind of return.

I'd be pleased with any of them as our marquis signing but I'd be delighted if we signed Simeon Jackson. I think he'd be top of my list.

Norwich fans I've spoken to think Jackson is awful...

Sharp - 11 this season wasn't it? Less than Ward HOWEVER wouldn't say no

Waghorn - Not played much so won't judge too harshly but goalscoring record overall incredibly unimpressive

Mackie - Same as above

Jackson - Nah

Vaughan - Yes... If we can keep him injury free

Norwich fans I've spoken to think Jackson is awful...

Sharp - 11 this season wasn't it? Less than Ward HOWEVER wouldn't say no

Waghorn - Not played much so won't judge too harshly but goalscoring record overall incredibly unimpressive

Mackie - Same as above

Jackson - Nah

Vaughan - Yes... If we can keep him injury free

I know what you mean Cheron but then again Derby fans I speak to say Buxton is still non league, that Sammon is useless, that Coutts can't play. That Hughes is not all he's cracked up to be, that Brayford doesnt get forward enough..

I ignore them as well.

I'd love to have Jackson, I might be wrong, but I'd love to have him. I think he's the one that would most excite me.

Waghorn might not have a great scoring record but he's a player. It's got to be tough when he's getting 10 minutes here and there. The lad needs games.

How many goals did Chris Wood score while he was out on loan all over the place before his 20+ this year? We were after him on loan long enough for me to think that Cloughs long term targets are the ones we should be after.

I know what you mean Cheron but then again Derby fans I speak to say Buxton is still non league, that Sammon is useless, that Coutts can't play. That Hughes is not all he's cracked up to be, that Brayford doesnt get forward enough..

Fair point... Although the people who say that about St Bucko (The People's Champion) will burn when the rapture comes... If I win the lottery I will be building a statue of him to stand outside my turnstile at PP for ever more...

I'd rather have Vaughan... The lad has shown he has quality at a Premier league level and if we could snap him up for less than a million I'd be fine if he picked up the occasional injury... With Sammon, Ward and Martin and goals from midfield we'll be fine if he can only manage 20 games...

Wasn't Chris Wood to be a permanent replacement for Hulse when he DIDN'T go to Middlesborough ??

Don't think so. Wood was of course a reported target for us at one point but I think it was after that. I could be wrong though.

We apparently had a loan deal for Sam Vokes lined up had Hulse left, and we were also strongly linked with Simon Cox...

Pretty glad we didn't end up with either of them two!

Fair point... Although the people who say that about St Bucko (The People's Champion) will burn when the rapture comes... If I win the lottery I will be building a statue of him to stand outside my turnstile at PP for ever more...

I'd rather have Vaughan... The lad has shown he has quality at a Premier league level and if we could snap him up for less than a million I'd be fine if he picked up the occasional injury... With Sammon, Ward and Martin and goals from midfield we'll be fine if he can only manage 20 games...

deserved highlighting...... :D 

How much do people think Sharpe would cost us? I would prefer him over everybody else being suggested. Given the fact that almost all our signings are going to be free transfers and that we could pick up between £1m-1.5m for players leaving, (without including anyone who we ideally do not want to sell), we have some money to spend surely? 

Archived