What's the obsession with a 20 goal a season striker?

cheron85

Out of the 9 teams above us only 3 have goalscorers who've scored more than Ward...

Cardiff and Hull's top scorers both got 9... Which is the same goal return for the season as the much maligned Mr Sammon...

Only one team scored more at home this season than we did...

So whilst it would be nice to get a guy who bags goals for fun, isn't it much more important to have a team where goals come from all over the park? And injury to Jordan Rhodes would have seen Blackburn relegated for example...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed that the Burnley fans seem to complain about Austin not doing anything other than scoring. So would you prefer a Sammon type player scoring 10 odd goals and making countless chances for others or a goal scorer who seems to be lazy? (I'm not asking would you prefer sammon or Austin just using those player types as examples)

You just need a team capable of scoring more goals than the other team you're playing more often than not, I guess it depends on playing style as to how you do that.

Clough seems to like the midfielders joining in around the penalty area, so we probably don't need a 20 goal man, we need more goal scoring midfielders and a more clinical nature in the final third. Against Millwall, so often we got into the final third and even the penalty area, and still failed to get a proper shot away.

It's a classic fans thing to do to watch the FLS, see a player banging in the goals and saying "we need one of those".

Because our defence is not as good as teams above us. so WE need to score more, meaning we need that elusive 20 goal a season striker.

(Especially for away goals, we need just a player that can take one of the many chances we normally create)

I've noticed that the Burnley fans seem to complain about Austin not doing anything other than scoring. So would you prefer a Sammon type player scoring 10 odd goals and making countless chances for others or a goal scorer who seems to be lazy? (I'm not asking would you prefer sammon or Austin just using those player types as examples)

I'd be quite happy with Sammon if he did create countless chances for others - he doesn't, so I'm not happy with him.

Whenever I've seen Austin play he opens up space for others as defenders stick to him like glue. IMO Austin offers far more than Sammon.

You need a team that can score goals either way and we aren't blessed with midfielders or forwards who seem to get enough. Ward did pretty well but we don't seem to get enough people in the box compared to teams doing well. I don't know if that's confidence or just they haven't the ability

You need a team that can score goals either way and we aren't blessed with midfielders or forwards who seem to get enough. Ward did pretty well but we don't seem to get enough people in the box compared to teams doing well. I don't know if that's confidence or just they haven't the ability

at home we've scored more than 7 of the teams above us. We just need a player that can score away.

You just need a team capable of scoring more goals than the other team you're playing more often than not, I guess it depends on playing style as to how you do that.

Clough seems to like the midfielders joining in around the penalty area, so we probably don't need a 20 goal man, we need more goal scoring midfielders and a more clinical nature in the final third. Against Millwall, so often we got into the final third and even the penalty area, and still failed to get a proper shot away.

It's a classic fans thing to do to watch the FLS, see a player banging in the goals and saying "we need one of those".

I prefer to think of it as being that you need a team capable of conceding fewer goals than the opposition - and that, in a nutshell, is why we were not playoff contenders this season. Concede none and you will pick up points every time you play.

It was mathematically possible to make the playoffs this season scoring just 12 goals, provided they all came in 1-0 victories and the other 34 games ended goalless. 11 if we had beaten Leicester away 1-0. That is why the wisest person ever to manage a football team said that you "...build from the back".

at home we've scored more than 7 of the teams above us. We just need a player that can score away.

Not at all. We need a defence that doesn't concede goals away. It's also a cheaper option because the best strikers in the division will cost you £8 or £10 million whereas the best defenders will cost you a third of that.

We've just scored our second-highest number of goals in a season for almost 2 decades, and this season people have bemoaned the fact that our strikers are useless and our centre-backs don't bag enough. Someone's got to be scoring them - and they are. Basically nearly every player has chipped in with goals this season - that must be a bit of a nightmare for the opposition.

We need to halve the goals we concede away. If we had done that this season, we'd be in the play offs. That will mean better defending from everyone. Better defender or two and better protection of the defence in midfield.

It's much better to have the goals spread around. Teams know if they stop Austin then they stop Burnley and that becomes a problem, add to that possible injuries and you become over reliant.

The part where I'd agree is we don't take our half chances in games where we aren't on top and a high quality striker would do that.

As stated above sorting the defence out is much cheaper.

The real answer to this is people want a player they can worship and put on their shirt and nobody is better than a striker who scores a lot of goals (preferably foreign).

Nope, we need a different formation and team tactics applied that will give us half a chance of winning away games, or failing that get the Sports Therapist in who coached Ronnie O'Sullivan to instill belief in our players that we won't get beaten away again

Nope, we need a different formation and team tactics applied that will give us half a chance of winning away games, or failing that get the Sports Therapist in who coached Ronnie O'Sullivan to instill belief in our players that we won't get beaten away again

or you could just buy a striker who scores with the chances we create, as I believe we create more than enough chances.

I prefer to think of it as being that you need a team capable of conceding fewer goals than the opposition

Yes... But I don't want us to go back to playing the way we did under the angry scottish w****r down the road... We were DULL then and half the time just played "grab a goal and park the bus"... We got loads of 1-0 wins but I spent the entire season terrified cos we spent most of every game in our own half defending like hell...

Much prefer the possession game we're trying to play...

or you could just buy a striker who scores with the chances we create, as I believe we create more than enough chances.

The issue being you might end up with someone like Theo... Where you basically play with 10 men all game... Apparantly that's why Le Fondre isn't starting for Reading...

Do we create that many chances away from home per se? Or is it the fact that we have to score three goals to win an away game which puts the focus on our strikers?

Yes... But I don't want us to go back to playing the way we did under the angry scottish w****r down the road... We were DULL then and half the time just played "grab a goal and park the bus"... We got loads of 1-0 wins but I spent the entire season terrified cos we spent most of every game in our own half defending like hell...

Much prefer the possession game we're trying to play...

The issue being you might end up with someone like Theo... Where you basically play with 10 men all game... Apparantly that's why Le Fondre isn't starting for Reading...

I don't understand, why would a striker who scores not be involved with the rest of the game? Just because a few strikers do it doesn't mean the end of the world for the other 100,000+ other strikers in the world.

Archived