What's the obsession with a 20 goal a season striker?

cheron85

Do we create that many chances away from home per se? Or is it the fact that we have to score three goals to win an away game which puts the focus on our strikers?

I believe we do, as I find my self away match, after away match thinking if we just took one of the chances while we were infront, we would be so much better off.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But if we scored goals, the pressure would be on the other team, and then more mistakes would be made on their half anyway? Instead of us for once, as derby fans know what happens when your on top and you get flung underneath.

(Please no sex puns :D )

You know when people say we need a 20 goal striker, do they mean buy one or create one?

You know you can't buy them? They cost millions and millions.

A side creating chances for any decent finisher stands a chance of that striker hitting 20 if they stay fit. Savies is a decent finisher. Sharp, Austin, Nugent.... There's a few about. Not the complete package obviously or they'd be at a higher level already. That's all you can do. Pick lads out that take chances well. Like Becchio.

To buy an actual deadly striker that can score 20 goals with half chances and is a matchwinner would cost a fortune.To buy one that has a history of scoring 15-20 goals you'll probably be competing with Chelsea and United. Unless they're cack.

Watch what happens with Vydra. Bet he doesn't play in this division again. I might be wrong and he might stay and progress a bit more with Watford. But people will gamble on him after 1 good season because he looks good. We couldn't dream of buying him.

You have to uncover these strikers.

Can't think of many if any teams with successful away records that play with the mentality no matter how many goals you score we'll score one more than you, most successful teams shut up shop and either pinch a goal then sit on it or hit the opposition on the break, we have absolutely no pace in our team so hitting anyone on the break is just not going to happen, our counter attacks would consist of 10 sideways passes then one back to our keeper.

There are three 20 and over goal scorers in the premier league and five in the Championship so they are rare beings (and therefore expensive) and having one in your side doesn't necessarily mean success or promotion.

Alpha's right, with our budgets you have to find the Vydra or Chris Wood before they become too expensive, and then gamble. Or get them in on loan, knowing that they will then go elsewhere if they are successful. Some will work, some will not. Conor Sammon has been that 20 goal player before, in Scotland.

Or, you get three or four players who will score between 10 and 15 goals each supported by another couple who will score between 5 and 10.

So, say Sammon has a good season converting the chances that come his way and scores 15 goals with Vaughan and Martin chipping in another 20 between them; plus then Hendrick, Bryson, Coutts, Ward with 5 to 10 each and the others adding their bits - Keogh, Bucko, Brayford, Bennett, Hughes, Jacobs - and tighten the defence. And then all of a sudden you have a winning team without a 20 goal striker

Not at all. We need a defence that doesn't concede goals away. It's also a cheaper option because the best strikers in the division will cost you £8 or £10 million whereas the best defenders will cost you a third of that.

I'm not sure about that stat, just cos Sackburn were stupid enough to cough up that amount, doesn't change the fact that the leading scorers in this division in the last 10 years have probably on average cost less than £2m each!

I'm not sure about that stat, just cos Sackburn were stupid enough to cough up that amount, doesn't change the fact that the leading scorers in this division in the last 10 years have probably on average cost less than £2m each!

Seller's market?

It's a simple argument, other teams who had simular scorers like Ward on 9 or 10 goals were obviously higher because they conceded less, so we either buy a 20 goal a season striker or buy a better defense so we concede less, so we either need a 20 goals a season striker or a solid defense that concedes 20 less than we do.

Or preferably both.

I just want a player who is clinical. Too many times this season we've had '6 or 7 chances to score' and failed. Clough then says 'we were unlucky' no we weren't unlucky we just don't convert our chances, if we converted more of our chances, we'd have scored more goals -> and finished higher in the league.

There's no substitution for quality, and our strikers don't have enough of it unfortunately. That's no slant on Sammon before people jump to his rescue, he's not that type of striker, he has pace and stretches defences but I'd rather see players who get into positions with clever passing rather than running the channels. But each to their own!

Clough doesn't usually say 'we were unlucky' - he normally says something along the lines of 'xyz played like an absolute tosser - we should have won'.

doesn't change the fact that the leading scorers in this division in the last 10 years have probably on average cost less than £2m each!

Which is still more than our transfer budget is likely to ever be so still out of our reach I'm afraid

If Clough decides to tighten the defence up we probably won't score as many. It's not a guarantee that we will score that many next season. Therefore if he tries to be more controlled at the back, players may not have the licence to go forward (our full backs never see to anyway!) and hey presto, where do our goals come from.

Saying that, I think Clough tried to be more controlled away from home this past season and that failed because we simply are not good enough!

I just want a player who is clinical. Too many times this season we've had '6 or 7 chances to score' and failed. Clough then says 'we were unlucky' no we weren't unlucky we just don't convert our chances, if we converted more of our chances, we'd have scored more goals -> and finished higher in the league.

There's no substitution for quality, and our strikers don't have enough of it unfortunately. That's no slant on Sammon before people jump to his rescue, he's not that type of striker, he has pace and stretches defences but I'd rather see players who get into positions with clever passing rather than running the channels. But each to their own!

Remember Sammon & Ward creating our goal against Millwall - if it was Man U theyd have had a special feature on MotD.

Ok so it didnt happen every game but they are working on it.

Remember Sammon & Ward creating our goal against Millwall - if it was Man U theyd have had a special feature on MotD.

Ok so it didnt happen every game but they are working on it.

Fair point, it's not happening enough on a regular basis though. You can 'work on it' as much as you want in training but if a player is lacking the footballing intelligence no amount of training ground work will do it. That's the difference between Will Hughes and the rest of our midfield.

If Clough decides to tighten the defence up we probably won't score as many. It's not a guarantee that we will score that many next season. Therefore if he tries to be more controlled at the back, players may not have the licence to go forward (our full backs never see to anyway!) and hey presto, where do our goals come from.

Saying that, I think Clough tried to be more controlled away from home this past season and that failed because we simply are not good enough!

So Brayford doesn't get forward?

Archived