David Vaughan

ShermanCardenas

I think Billy Sharp for 1-1.5 million would be ambition.

The last few seasons we seem to have got one or two million pound players.

Sammon and Keogh this season, it was Shackell the season before.

Rumours surrounding us going in for Baptiste and Martin players on frees could leave a bit of money for someone like Sharp i.e the million pound signing. Some people would argue however that this should be a given and simply signing one million pound striker would not be ambitious depends on what your outlook towards ambition is. Is it Leicester/Cardiff ambition or Derby County ambition.

I don't care how much a player cost. It's about how he performs on the pitch.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But then what about all the people that aren't renewing because of a lack of board ambition.

I would argue most of them just look at the price tag.

I feel as though it is the player, and not the fee they are looking at. I believe more people were pleased with the signing of Jacobs than the signing of Sammon.

I was underwhelmed with the signing of both to be perfectly frank but there's no pleasing some people :)

You are never happy though ;) you would moan if we signed Messi saying he is no Cristiano Ronaldo and vice versa :p

Oh C'mon. Whats gonna get the fans more excited. Signing a gem from the lower leagues (could be fantastic) or signing Billy Sharp. Whats going to get the season ticket sales?

I agree, its about what happens on the pitch, but overall.. 

Exactly 

The quality of players on a saturday should be the dictator but because people look to renew their season tickets during the off season or near when transfer speculation starts it just seems to boil down to (in the eyes of many)

how much $$$$ has been spent this summer.

If Derby went and spent 10 million this summer crowds would increase guaranteed thats just the way it is.

Oh C'mon. Whats gonna get the fans more excited. Signing a gem from the lower leagues (could be fantastic) or signing Billy Sharp. Whats going to get the season ticket sales?

I agree, its about what happens on the pitch, but overall.. 

Will players like Billy Sharp who has only featured in about 20 minutes of Premiership really increase season ticket sales much?

Its fine spending money, but you should spend as little as possible and if fans think they only got promotion is by spending £10 million well they are deluded, B'burn have an £8 mill striker and they are two points below us. Our expensively assembled side in 08/09 were not up to much.

I'll do both if we sign him. That's a promise! 

Fair enough. I will nominate Bris to check that you comply. He will no doubt compare your technique unfavourably with spanish masturbation and self-fellatio and complain about a negative finish to the last 15 seconds of your w@nk

Exactly

The quality of players on a saturday should be the dictator but because people look to renew their season tickets during the off season or near when transfer speculation starts it just seems to boil down to (in the eyes of many)

how much $$$$ has been spent this summer.

If Derby went and spent 10 million this summer crowds would increase guaranteed thats just the way it is.

So if we spent £2m on Greg Halford £2m on Matin Paterson £3m on Simon Church and £3m on Steve de Ridder then people would be happy? Yet if we signed Phil Neville Richard Dunne Chris Brunt and Simeon Jackson all on free transfers people wouldn't be as enthused?

So if we spent £2m on Greg Halford £2m on Matin Paterson £3m on Simon Church and £3m on Steve de Ridder then people would be happy? Yet if we signed Phil Neville Richard Dunne Chris Brunt and Simeon Jackson all on free transfers people wouldn't be as enthused?

I think the players you have listed who we would spend money on are a bit odd. Nobody would spend 2 million on Greg Halford because that doesn't reflect his true market price. 

However I still think you theory is right.

A more realistic example would be that I think more people would see the board 'backing nigel' if we spent 1.5 million on Billy Sharp than if we got Simeon Jackson on a free even though most people would say Jackson is a much better player. Just because people see oh we spent 1.5 million over oh he came on a free agent. 

Archived