We're the 18th biggest club in the country

Leicester Ram

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/sleeping-giant-or-minnow-how-do-you-measure-a-clubs-size-8570655.html?fb_action_ids=595232867154639&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%22595232867154639%22%3A134123986774010%7D&action_type_map=%7B%22595232867154639%22%3A%22news.reads%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Article in the independent recently which made a list of the 20 biggest clubs in the country, put us at 18th. They based it on facts (attendances, trophies, stadium, transfer dealings etc.)

'Big club' top 20

1. Man United

2. Liverpool

3. Arsenal

4. Everton

5. Aston Villa

6. Chelsea

7. Tottenham

8. Newcastle

9. Man City

10. Sunderland

11. Sheff Wed

12. Wolves

13. Leeds

14. West Brom

15 Nott’m Forest

16. Blackburn

17. Sheff Utd

18. Derby 

19. West Ham

20. Bolton

This is inevitably subjective, but is based on fact, notably attendances, trophies, transfer dealing, stadiums and league performances

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wigan are bigger than Derby

Ask any fans around the world which club they've heard of... Derby or Wigan and hey'll say Wigan.. They have a wider world reputation..

Ask any player who'd they rather play for.. Wigan everytime

Wigan have made higher transfer dealings than Derby.. Our record is a poxy $3mill

Ask any fans around the world which club they've heard of... Derby or Wigan and hey'll say Wigan.. They have a wider world reputation..

Wigan have made higher transfer dealings than Derby.. Our record is a poxy $3mill

We are taking football bris, not rugby.

Can't dispute many of the names on the list (including us) but I think some of the order is a bit off.

For instance, there's no way Sheff Weds are a bigger club than Leeds. I would also say Spurs are a bigger club historically than Chelsea although I would say Chelsea are only in the top 10 on the basis of the past 15 years. I'd also say West Ham are a larger club than ourselves.

Also, what are Blackburn doing there at all?! I would barely put them in the top 30 & certainly are a smaller club than Derby.

The criteria of the "size" of a club is of course subjective - but I think most would agree that the 3 main criteria (feel free to disagree) are the size of a club's fanbase, major trophies won & time spent in the top division. Size of city/potential catchment area can also seen as being relevant.

By all 3 measures, Wigan are nowhere near as large as Derby. By your reasoning, Wigan are also bigger than Leeds, Wolves & Sheffield Wednesday which is patently absurd. I'm thinking that you mean Wigan are a better team than Derby, which is undeniably true.

Archived