If we got a goal scorer would they actually be the difference?

ChaddesdenRam

I was looking above the table thinking why aren't we as good and what doesn't come to mind is goal scoring.

Sammon not scoring is a bit of scapegoat when you look at it.

The facts are of the 9 teams above us in the league 6 teams don't have a player that has scored more than 11 goals this season!

I think that is staggering. And it highlights the weakness in our team; inexperience and holding onto results. Apparently according to that we score enough but concede too many.

It's food for thought that technically we don't need a goalscorer?? That is not the main reason why we can't make the top 6.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all honesty I think a couple of players to change the shape and method of our play would be more beneficial than a goalscorer.

We are easy to read, and think a few 'rabbits in hats' as it were would make a difference to results, and certainly wouldn't hurt us. 

I don't get it...put Ward up front and there...you've got your goal scorer. He blatantly doesn't want to play on the Left wing. What am I missing? Is it his injuries that don't make him a 'goal scorer'?

The point being Nigel wouldnt be able to include, his new pet project Martin.....A player who he believes he can turn into a goal scorer..

I agree with you, it seems ludicrous to put our main goal threat out wide & replace him with a player that has only once in his career had a decent goal return....

Having strikers upfront who offer next to no goal  threat we makes it easier for the opposition - especially away from home.

Managers don't need to plan to stop our strikers. It leaves them free to concentrate on their own attacking ideas.

Things are also not helped by Sammon's inability to hold the ball up. He just gives the ball straight back to the opposition, which puts the defence under constant pressure.

IMO,  a large part of our defensive problems are caused by having poor forwards.

We were unlucky yesterday but this is a season long problem...a player who doesnt score pretty goals but is always there in the right place..put him along with wardy and in front of players like Hughes and Hendrick then we will have a good attacking threat..just need that player in the team

Having a proven goal scorer is part of the issue, as CornwallRam commented previously if our forwards are continually losing the ball and inviting pressure back onto the defence then this does us no favours at all. The level of service to our strikers isn't the best as well which is down to the quality in our midfield.

Andy Cole flattered to deceive at Man Utd, he did score a lot of goals but the team churned out an endless supply of chances for him so it didn't matter that he missed every 4 chances in 5, there was always likely to be another opportunity in the pipeline coming pretty soon after. 

i went to the game yesterday watched the match and from what i saw connor was unlucky not to score but more importantly worked hard for the team where as this chris martin bloke who is he why did Nigel think that he would be of any benefit to our team i would have preferred him dropping a league maybe even 2 and picking up a established striker from a lower league make s more sense than this martin who just complained and complained and didn't put in the effort in my opinion  

it seems every-time we get a decent player he is sold for what he is worth how can we expect to get anywhere when all our decent players are sold ( ps craig bryson played awesome yesterday 9 more of him please )

There was talk of another striker coming in, no? We really could do with a different sort of player up there. Sammon and Martin are too similar. Both want to trap the ball and lay it off to another player (with varying degrees of success).

We need another option in the centre of midfield as well. If Hughes was there, he would have pulled the strings from the middle and we would have won comfortably. Bryson had a great game but there wasn't a single player for either team that made the midfield his own. That sort of player is often the difference rather than a striker.

I do agree about the centre back issue, although often the midfield is where the issue is. Edwards was allowed to run too far without a challenge from anyone before his shot yesterday, and it wasn't Keogh or Buxton's fault.

Ward central or out wide? that's the problem.

Bollix • Boone commented on it during the last three (oh we won them)

Then suddenly we lose one and it has to be soneones fault. Can't pick on Sammon so lets look for something else. After all it can't be simply that things didn't go our way.

I think part of our problem is a lack of options to try something different. Coutts has been out of form for the best part of 4 months but yet we dont really have a better option.

If the first 11 cant break through there isnt really much to look for from the bench.

We really were unlucky yesterday, on another day the penalty would of gone in, sammons shot would of gone post and in and martins goal wouldnt of been ruled out for (not) being offside.

Our problem seems to be grinding out a win when its not going our way. Whether thats a lack of character or experience I dont know. This becomes more of an issue away from home when you dont have much of the ball.

Archived