O'Brien out for 6 months

Day

Derby County defender Mark O’Brien has undergone knee surgery and is expected to be out of action for up to six months.

20-year-old O’Brien was in London on Tuesday, accompanied by Head Physiotherapist Neil Sullivan, and successfully went under the knife to cure a problem which has plagued him throughout the campaign.

The Republic of Ireland Under 21 international centre-back has been suffering from swelling in his knee throughout this season, which has been caused by a defect on the joint surface, and best described as a mini pothole on the joint cartilage.

This has been reacting to both training and playing matches. Rest and modified training have not helped ease the problem over the last few weeks, and O’Brien has now undergone surgery to repair the defect.

Manager Nigel Clough said: “It’s big blow for Mark and surgery is the only way to correct the problem he’s had, so we’re looking at between 4-6 months for him being out of action.

“It’s not ideal, especially with Shaun Barker out as well, but Mark is a mentally strong person and he will fight his way back, like he has done in the past, and be stronger for it.

“When he has been on the pitch for us, he has shown he is an asset for us and we continue to believe he has a bright future ahead of him.”

The news comes as another injury set-back for Academy graduate O’Brien, who missed the entire second half of last season after suffering cruciate ligament damage in training in December 2011, while he also underwent heart surgery in November 2009 after the discovery of a faulty valve and he also required ankle surgery during the 2010-11 campaign.

However, when the Dublin-born defender has been available for selection his form has been impressive and his form in the early weeks of 2012 earned a call-up to the Republic of Ireland Under 21 squad.

O'Brien has made 35 appearances for Derby in all competitions, with 11 of them coming this season.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/obrien-undergoes-knee-surgery-736116.aspx

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointed for him personally but it does mean we will get a cb in this summer.

Either on loan from the start of the season til January when these two will be a fit.

Or a full season long loan

Or buy a centre back.

One of the three will happen. If we get a cb on loan I guess it will be a young premier league player that cannot get game time.

Bucko is hardly renowned for his long spells of injury-free football, so with OB and Barker both unlikely to play any football this side of christmas, we absolutely surely MUST go to market for a decent quality CB this summer???

Exactly we need a steady partnership at the back with Keogh and obviously neither OB nor Bucko can get even close to providing this. 

i really feel sorry for OB he has had a terrible run of injuries and health issues. I wish him well in his recovery. 

Poor little bugger. Injuries are robbing him of his youth.

Two things are certain. One, the club will rightly stand by him and give him every opportunity to come back and I wouldnt be surprised to see him sign a contract extension while he's out. Two, the lad himself is such a fighter I've no doubt he'll get his head down and work his way back again.

I think we were supposed to be getting a centre half in anyway over the summer this just removes any doubt.

No point in my opinion toldu. Not unless it's the one we're signing in the summer to have a look at him early.

we're not desperate and it would only waste 2 months wages.

O'Connor played for the under 21s yesterday and although he went through a real rough patch I'd say with 8 games to go he'll get the shout if needed.

If either Bucko or Keogh are out in the run I'd expect to see Val get a game in his preferred position instead of a loan.

Just thought it would open the door for Nigel to have a look at a target for next season   But he will have to be quick because the door shuts again tomorrow .   No chance to get anyone in if multiple disaster strikes again before the end of the season.

I like him and shame about all the injuries BUT...

at what point do we say "enough's enough" and cut ties with him? It's quite clear to see he might never get a full season under his belt. On top of that, we're already penny-pinching with wages. And with Barker out for the foreseeable future, do we really want to be paying 2 players' wages when they can't play for several months? :unsure:

Some harsh comments on here lads. I reckon OB a talented lad. His timing of a challenge in the air is the best at the club, and his all round game will come on. He'll be on relatively small wage anyway, and he deserves to have the chance to come back from this.

He can make a career at this level, but he needs a stone of muscle and enough proper rest to let his body heal and strengthen before he starts playing again.

Archived