O'Brien out for 6 months

Day

Some harsh comments on here lads. I reckon OB a talented lad. His timing of a challenge in the air is the best at the club, and his all round game will come on. He'll be on relatively small wage anyway, and he deserves to have the chance to come back from this.

He can make a career at this level, but he needs a stone of muscle and enough proper rest to let his body heal and strengthen before he starts playing again.

Agree with needles.

I reckon O'Brien will improve with age and be a decent cb at championship level. 

On a slightly different note, the way he is looked after at Derby may well influence other youngsters when other clubs come poaching.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His timing of a challenge in the air is the best at the club, 

I have to disagree.

Barker and Keogh better aerially

Although thats  just what I think from seeing them play and Barker is injured

I watched Obrien  very closely one game and if you watch all his headers tend to go to the left having been predominately a right sided centre back. When he plays for Derby 1st team he gets put at left centre back and his balance is lost sometimes. 

Anyway he is a quality talent and as you say on a low wage so he should stay and we should give him a chance. Definitely needs to bulk up on the weights but not like addison

Keogh aerially is alright, but his marking and positioning is not from set pieces at times. O'Brien is a strong header of the ball, he has that ability at the very least.

I like him, he's honest, he can tackle and he's good in the air, but he has no ball retention in him whatsoever. He boots it at the first sight of danger. Were we a Stoke type side he'd be perfect, but we're not, and inevitably if he's on the ball in defence and there's no obvious pass on he gets rid and we usually forfeit possession right there.

It's a good choice if he's panicky about passing, as atleast they can't win it back near our goal when pressing him, but he really needs to work on that side of his game. Otherwise he might be limiting us simply by not being able to hold possession. But they'll keep him on, he's on next to nothing and he has had some bad luck with injuries and the heart surgery limiting him etc. He also does have alot of promise, he can be a steady Championship defender for quite some time if he works on a few things and stays fit.

I don't see why his wages matter either?

I don't go to watch cheap wages. Is it comforting to know that when Phil Jagielka plays he's England's cheapest player?

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Same with Sammons fee. If he's good he's good. A crap cheap player isn't a good thing. It's a crap player.

Just in regards to OB being cheap. Not rubbishing anyone's opinion on him as a player. Just don't see why people care about wages so much. He's either useful or he isn't. Wages are irrelevant.

sadly, it doesn't look too good for him, although on the other hand, he seems to be a determined lad and a bit of a fighter.

Having met him a few times and in my drunken state asked him lots of questions, he comes across as a top lad, always polite, lovely temperament and really well rounded, with his feet firmly on the ground.

I would say that to have the amount of operations so early in a career would beat many professionals into retirement and I'll be gutted if O'Brien is one who does fall out of the game.

I hope he recovers fully, I just don't have the positive gut feeling about it though.

I don't see why his wages matter either?

I don't go to watch cheap wages. Is it comforting to know that when Phil Jagielka plays he's England's cheapest player?

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Same with Sammons fee. If he's good he's good. A crap cheap player isn't a good thing. It's a crap player.

Just in regards to OB being cheap. Not rubbishing anyone's opinion on him as a player. Just don't see why people care about wages so much. He's either useful or he isn't. Wages are irrelevant.

Were he on a higher wage he would be draining the limited resources that we have quite considerably given how often he's not on the pitch. Because his age and low wages, we can afford to bide our time and write off those wages while he hopefully comes back to full and regular fitness levels.

That's the crux of it. We can afford to keep him on through these injuries because he's not on much, were he on a similar wage to Ward or Keogh then it'd be preferable simply to let him go, as we wouldn't or atleast shouldn't have that much in wages tied up in an injury prone squad player.

Were he on a higher wage he would be draining the limited resources that we have quite considerably given how often he's not on the pitch. Because his age and low wages, we can afford to bide our time and write off those wages while he hopefully comes back to full and regular fitness levels.

That's the crux of it. We can afford to keep him on through these injuries because he's not on much, were he on a similar wage to Ward or Keogh then it'd be preferable simply to let him go, as we wouldn't or atleast shouldn't have that much in wages tied up in an injury prone squad player.

Oh I'm with you now.

I agree that wages do enter your reckoning with an injury prone player. No point paying a fortune for a brilliant injured player.

I thought it was the "he might not be good but he's cheap" debate. Does my head in that one!

Archived