Clough story on bbc website

dan

May not be anything to do with "balls" though.He may feel some responsibility towards the young players he's brought through,together (perhaps) with any youngsters signed up on the basis that we have a manager willing to give them a chance.If he were to come out with an outburst which he might know would be likely to result in the sack,then he might consider this irresponsible.

On the other hand,if he were to be sacked for other reasons,he'd have no control over the decision.

The other view being that he is in a comfortable job with no chance of getting another job at this level.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clough is doing a brilliant job for the club, the first team is still lacking though.. and that's the important thing.

The board need to keep bums on seats, we know that much.. having a vibrant well doing youth system is good, fans like to know it's there but ultimately how many people buy a season ticket to know the under 18s are doing well? 

I think more emphasis needs to be put on the first team, but I fully appreciate the youth sides hard work! 

I don't think Clough is the type to air the clubs dirty washing in public at least not as directly as coming out and saying it's the boards fault.

Maybe the times he's come out and had a little dig about the cost of other teams benches and things like that is as far as he wants to go. From there it doesn't take a genius to work out he'd be happier if he had a couple of million here and there.

Anyone who has taken any interest at all in Derby over the last couple of years know that he's had a difficult job with finances tight but coming out and slating your current employers in public serves no purpose at all other than It "protects" your own reputation so that you're not damaged goods and you can pick up another job.  Funnily enough, within football I'd say his reputation will have been enhanced with what he's gone through and how he's gone about it quietly with a bit of dignity.

If he's going I really don't see him rushing to take another job quickly. I think this was the job for him, I can't see him having the emotional attachment anywhere else and I don't think he'd be desperate to get back to work. I certainly don't see him moving from the Derby area for football.

If he's going he's going. it won't matter to him whether that's as a scapegoat for the board or as a scapegoat for the fans. If he gets the sack he's a scapegoat of somebody. Let's not get wishy washy about it, there are enough of you ripping him apart on here, even you GStar have totally changed your stance. if you want him gone then keep up the criticism, the board will sack him before they quit. Happens everywhere the world over. You're all entitled to your views and I'm not saying you're wrong to want him out. That's a fans perrogative. I just don't want to see the same fans now coming out and saying "ahh bless him".

There was no ahh bless him when they (collectively) were ripping apart his tactics or his intelligence levels.

Having said that, nothing in that article says he's leaving at any point soon, it could be read that he doesnt think he'll be around by the time the next batch of 13 year olds come through. What is nice and fairly typical is that if he's going now or if he's going in three years he's already stressing the importance of keeping the structure in place.

Wassall, Glover, Garner, Lyons, Metgod, Clough, Matt the fat physio who's name I forget and Crosby come as team. If NC isn't going to be working or rushing to look for a new role then it makes sense for him to "big up" the rest of the staff. He won't be taking them with him to a new club any time soon.

Two posters on here remain convinced he's gone in the summer no matter what. I'd suggest everyone relaxes and at the start of next year thousands of Derby fans will have their wish and the good times will roll back. It's 100% certain that it's the current manager who is holding us back.

I'm not sure what you think my stance was before with Clough but I think the same of him now as I have done for the past 2 or 3 years.

Think he has done a great job on limited resources, think it is wonderful how he is bringing the youngsters through, am really happy that at last he has got us trying to play football and has continued to stick with that philosophy even now things are going wrong. On the other hand playing players out of position, negative tactics away from home and puzzling substitutions continue to be part of our downfall. It would be interesting to hear your views on these points.

You say about having a dig at the board/owners but it doesn't even have to be that, what would be wrong in January with him saying that he thinks with a bit of investment in the team we could make the play offs? At least then the board/owners and fans all know where we stand. What I don't want is him coming out and saying he is happy with what he has got if that is not the truth.

There is certainly no denying that while Clough has been here the club has changed from top to bottom, and for that he deserves some praise.

Re the last couple of paragraphs, I think the storm clouds are gathering for Clough as the board probably begin to look to deflect some of the attention away from their lack of activity in the transfer market.

A friend was speaking to Clough the other week and he is less than happy with the lack of backing given in January. I just wish that if this is the case he would have the balls to say so (even if it potentially puts his job at risk)

I think the 'love-in' between the manager and the board is slowly waining and something has to give.

I don't really see what Clough has got to lose by speaking out any perceived lack of transfer funds, he must realise by now that the fans are baying for blood so he might as well get the first punch in now before the board make him the scapegoat.

Fair points. I wonder if the board didn't fund in Jan due to cost cutting, or lack of belief in the manager?

How much has he spent this season ??

Clough with 3 million to spend would get us in the top 8.

With the current budget we will have to wait for will Hughes mason Bennett and Jeff Hendrick and mark obrien etc to be some of the championships best players

Fair points. I wonder if the board didn't fund in Jan due to cost cutting, or lack of belief in the manager?

If it was lack of belief in the manager they might as well sell up now.

We were in a great position to challenge for the play offs and you only have to look what has happened to the 2 teams that were occupying 5th/6th place to see that the opportunity was there for the taking.

If it was down to cost cutting I would have thought selling Hughes and giving NC some of the proceeds to try and strengthen would have been the sensible option.

Clough with 3 million to spend would get us in the top 8.

With the current budget we will have to wait for will Hughes mason Bennett and Jeff Hendrick and mark obrien etc to be some of the championships best players

What do you base this assumption on?

A lot of fans would argue that his 2 most expensive signings are a huge part of the problem this season.

A lot of fans would argue that his 2 most expensive signings are a huge part of the problem this season.

2 most expensive signings in general? or this season? Because I'll be f*cked if you think Keogh is a 'huge part of the problem'...

If it was lack of belief in the manager they might as well sell up now.

We were in a great position to challenge for the play offs and you only have to look what has happened to the 2 teams that were occupying 5th/6th place to see that the opportunity was there for the taking.

If it was down to cost cutting I would have thought selling Hughes and giving NC some of the proceeds to try and strengthen would have been the sensible option.

January is not really the time to make major investments in players. Prices also tend to be higher than in the Summer. 

2 most expensive signings in general? or this season? Because I'll be f*cked if you think Keogh is a 'huge part of the problem'...

This season.

Really?

Have you not seen how many goals we are conceding from crosses?

Not saying it is my personal opinion but there are plenty on here that think it.

January is not really the time to make major investments in players. Prices also tend to be higher than in the Summer. 

Nobody said anything about major investment, just about strengthening the squad ie making sure we have cover for all positions for when the inevitable glut of signings kicks in

How much has he spent this season ??

I knew someone would say this. 

What I implied is how much has been invested into the squad. 

So he "spent":

1 million on Keogh

1 million on Sammon

150k on Coutts

100k max on Oconnor

nominal fee on Jacobs, Freeman, 

So he spent up to around 3 million.

However the club accumulated sales from

Shackell

Davies

Maguire

So overall I am saying Nigel was allowed an equivalent of like 1.5 million or something. 

If he was given 3 million investment so 3 million including player sales that is when I think he would do quite well.

Sammon your point could be valid he has not been good enough as a leading the line centre forward in the eyes of many. 

Keogh is our player of the year, consistently quality except the past 4 or 5 games. Not as good as Shackell but is 100% NOT a HUGE part of the problem this season. 

Everybody knows the problem this season was not having a CB to partner Keogh, away form, a goal scorer.  

People might question his ability but you cant question his love for the club, 

his loyalty to the club is probably going to make him the scapegoat the board need, 

will leave a lot of fans wondering what if clough was given a few quid, instead of the new manager that will come in, 

lets face it there is no manager around that is better or will do better without spending 

do we really want to hop back on the merry go round again????

If Clough does leave at the end of the season, anyone who replaces him is going to have a very tough job. The fans are going to expect no less than a top 6 finish, there will need to be a sustancial improvement in the league standing, and an immediate one, if the club goes down that route. With the way we've gone about things as well, I doubt the board will fund the club to try and do this, leaving the next man in with the task of getting top 6 football with the current squad and at best a couple of decent additions.

Personally, I like Clough, I like what the club has done in the last few years and I really don't see any need for drastic change. We've gotten back on our feet after the mess that Billy and Jewell left us in, and we're moving forward on and off the pitch. Sometimes we need to realise that you've not learned to walk after your first step, and at this point even if progress seems slow to some it's important to make sure we take our next step as carefully as the first, because the last thing anyone of us want is to see us end up back on our face with another broken nose.

Archived