Clough story on bbc website

dan

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we should keep calm....wait until the end of the season.

If we have a decent run in.....then keep the faith

If we have a shiite run in.......blame sammon

Then in the summer...........sign 15 players from Udinese.

Just a thought.

I'll answer these paragraphs as bullet points:

1) I agree, I said that myself, I would also point out though that putting Bryson there limits us heavily going forward. Another case of a flat midfield which we often seem to have. I understand the decision to put him there, I simply dislike the flat nature that our midfield has throughout the years been set up as. It's also worth noting that if you want cover at LM then B.Davies would seem a more natural choice for that spot, if he's seen as a defensive option, but there we are. There's also the point that Bryson isn't a great tackler, just someone to harry players into mistakes. Given instruction, a general winger could do this.

2) I do not think that real life is a computer game, I am not a moron, though some here would argue otherwise. Gjokaj is far more than just an U16's defender who would panic utterly with a start, he's actually far above the standard at which you seem to presume he is. While he is a rookie, he is not one who has never played a competitive game. He is above the standard at which Mark O'Brien was when he was first thrown in. I understand the decision, but to have a right-back who has barely ever played there (and is a winger by trade) and sticking our arguably best defender at CB entirely destroys us going forwards and leaves us in huge trouble if the other side goes down our right. I understand it, but it is not a clear cut decision. If he is good enough to be in the squad, he is good enough to play. Certainly, he is more than capable of doing so. 

3)  Actually, Gjokaj has also been known to play right-back, that's where his one appearance for Carlisle came. He is a centre half who can also be shifted over to that side if needed, as we saw at Cardiff (and tonight for ten minutes).

4) I could point to playing Forsyth tonight who again is not a LB rather than putting Freeman to left-back (where he has played before for Notts County) and putting Gjokaj in at right-back as he played the other night. There are enough examples of players being shifted to other positions instead of the players ready for such a position being used. Often the players shifted are workers who can be guaranteed to put a shift in, but this often leaves us in dire straits tactically. I am not saying this is always a terrible decision, i'm saying he merely has a history of picking a side based on who he wants to see out there rather than the tactical plan against a side.

I do not wish to argue these points, perhaps you'll see that as me not being able to hold my side of the conversation, but we've all seen enough to have made our minds up about Clough tactically and so on. I think he's done alright, I took more than enough flack myself when defending him for years on the DET and here (and quite often it was only me doing it!), I just don't think he's great when it comes to tactics.

Whilst there are some good point here, it again misses the point about Gjokaj. He is a very good youngster yes, but the issue wasn't how good he was, it was a question of whether it would be appropriate to have two U20 defenders in the backline whilst together they had less than 5 Football League appearances. With that in mind it was fairly obvious why he wasn't played.

As for Freeman and Forsyth, people have noted on the forum since he signed that he could play leftback and some had even mooted that he might be a future option as a leftback for us. Personally I'm not so sure about that, but we'll see. Taking about having width and adding to the attack though, Freeman and Forsyth make better options for the fullbacks than Freeman on his less favoured side and young Gjokaj, and the side came away with all 3 points today, with what would be the winning goal coming from a cross from Forsyth.

I guess the point is that a lot of what people see as odd choices make sense in context, at least to an extent, and unlike us, the manager has seen them train and knows more about them as players than we will from just watching 90 once or twice a week.

I think Gjokaj will make an excellent centre back for us next season. I don't think he is naturally suited to either full back position, lacking both pace and attacking skills but am delighted that he got the experience there and that he didn't look fazed by it at all. We should be excited by our youngsters and accept that whilst money is tight, every youngster that makes an impression gives us options to spend elsewhere in the team. this makes it all the more surprising that Bennett hasn't been given more 15 minute introductions this year when Martin has shown his lack of fitness and Sammon's bull has made a mess of the china shop.

I thought big Val looked a bit nervous for the first couple of minutes, his first two touches he skewed out of play. Then he settled down nicely. I was impressed with Freeman before he went off, didn't take any chances with the ball, looked comfortable. looked to get his foot in and even made the smart decision of taking a yellow for the team when schlupp did get away from him. He was a bit cautious about getting forward but I think they were his instructions yesterday. That's the most "solid" I've seen us play this season.

As for Martin being tired, he was but It would have been an incredible decision to throw on a 16 year old yesterday with just a one goal lead in a game that was absolutely must win. That wasn't the right time to bring him on.

We'll see enough of Mason over the last few weeks when we're safe.

Yesterday showed just how key John Brayford is. Ridiculous how much the side loses without its right back.

Freeman is ok, he'll develop well but isn't good enough yet. Gjokaj isn't good enough either.

Gjokak.

Isn't a right back

Looked very nervous obviously

Can't blame him

At centre back he could be a very good player

Great in the air

Good tackler

Lacks agility but that could be worked on

However the problem will be that the fans want someone with experience to partner Keogh until barker is fit.

Buxton is 27, I'd consider that experienced.

O'Connor is 28, that's pretty damn experienced.

Either they are too injury prone or nobody rates them.

I'll let you decide.

O'Connor is a right back.

Buxton has had injury problems, and has been alright this season.

"O'Connor was awarded all three of the club's available supporters awards, including Player of the Season, for the 2009–10 season after a succession of good performances playing at right-back and centre-half".

He has played at centrehalf, but he is a right back.

like brayford

Yeah, basically. Brayford however is actually good there and from what I know has played more there. That said I think we're all been a bit harsh on O'Connor, many were singing his praises early on, a few bad games at leftback changed a lot of minds though.

I'd classify him a versatile defender personally, but hey He's a right back your right as usual.

No need for the pie charts and graphs on this occasion.

So does clough to be fair

“He can cover any one of the four positions in defence. Players like that are so valuable – good players and good characters.

“He’ll be a good player for Derby County.”

Archived