The Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

sage

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Potential team for next season:

Fielding

Brayford                               Baptisite                                                         Keogh                            Forsyth 

Burke                                   Hughes                                                          Hendrick                         Ward                                           

Vaughan                                                           Martin

Play off quality team there if we can get the prospect signings then we could really push top 6

It's a shame because wages and transfer fees we may not get some of the players and get where we want to be...Most needed are probably Burke and Vaughen as they would be deadly together but lets face it we are more likely to get Martin and a lower league young lad

One player that keeps getting mentioned in whispers is Dean Whithead - now I don't watch the premier league much, and i know he used to be a good player but haven't heard much of him since. 

I had a look on a Stoke forum to see what they were saying about him...

...?

Seems increasingly odd that there's no murmurs of a new deal with only 6 months left, given that he's been one of Pulis' most loyal servants.

He's only 30 - strange that he hasn't been given a new deal, just to protect the investment of £3m, rising to £5m (and it must have got very near to that figure at this point based on appearances, staying up etc
)

Yeh I heard similar, think is actually a genuinely decent bloke unlike the vast majority of modern day footballers. He's been a very useful servant to the club and we got our money's worth. Not needed anymore though and we should probably let him go. He'd be decent for a Reading or Southampton

Whitehead has been at least the equal of Whelan for the majority of his time here, yet one is lauded by many whilst they look sniffily at Dean. We overpaid for him but we've had some value out of him. Give be one Dean over a dozen Palacios's any day of the week.

Whitehead has always been criminally underrated in my opinion, a lot of his good work goes unnoticed by many. An absolute grafter and his tracking back is second to none. If the likes of Delap can receive a new contract i don't see why Deano doesn't deserve one.

I dont think I can ever remember an occasion when Deano has not given us as fans 150% when he is on the field. 

He certainly is one of our players who definately comes into the unsung hero category. 

I think the majority appreciate him, as yes not the most gifted technician, but certainly someone who wears our shirt and represents what our supporters want, someone with guts and fights for everything on our behalf.

If he wants to sign an extension, which of course he may not because he has first team football lined up somewhere else, then good luck to him, because i cant remember a game where he has let us down.

I have to confess I'm a massive Whitehead fan and as lots of people have said he is definitely underrated on here. Having said that I can understand why he's not currently in the team with the current form of Whelan and Nzonzi. 

I really hope that he is offered a new contract but unfortunately I think he will probably move on for first team football elsewhere if he doesn't get enough game time at Stoke. 

and the rest fall down a similar pattern, I think he would be a terrific signing - just what we need in the middle of the park, especially when games get scrappy. I don't think we could make much more effective signings this summer.. just hope it's true. 

If Whitehead were to leave Stoke, he would to to a newly promoted team.

More than likely, a player like that - of that quality and ilk would be the most effective signing we could make.. the Wednesday games still make my brain go out for a ****! 

A goal scorer is a goal scorer. 

Like Liam Dickinson you mean? Or Conor Sammon at Kilmarnock? Or maybe Mikkel Beck at Middlesbrough?

I'll be honest, I get fed up of people just looking at lower league or scottish players goal scoring records and saying we should sign them at all costs.

It's lazy and shows absolutely no knowledge of football. Not saying I am an expert but I could never say that I think we should sign someone without seeing them play at least 10 live games.

Sure I could say I think someone might be worth a punt after one seeing one or two games but we have people on here who just look at goal scoring charts in the Sunday papers and then say who we should be signing. Ridiculous in my opinion.

Potential team for next season:

Fielding

Brayford                               Baptisite                                                         Keogh                            Forsyth 

Burke                                   Hughes                                                          Hendrick                         Ward                                           

Vaughan                                                           Martin

Play off quality team there if we can get the prospect signings then we could really push top 6

no bryson ??? oh dear

Like Liam Dickinson you mean? Or Conor Sammon at Kilmarnock? Or maybe Mikkel Beck at Middlesbrough?

I'll be honest, I get fed up of people just looking at lower league or scottish players goal scoring records and saying we should sign them at all costs.

It's lazy and shows absolutely no knowledge of football. Not saying I am an expert but I could never say that I think we should sign someone without seeing them play at least 10 live games.

Sure I could say I think someone might be worth a punt after one seeing one or two games but we have people on here who just look at goal scoring charts in the Sunday papers and then say who we should be signing. Ridiculous in my opinion.

I strongly agree with this.. 

I would urge people not to suggest players they've never seen, like Grigg for example.. I honestly couldn't tell you what he looks like, from his name I would guess at a 5'11 white striker with curly hair and a knack of getting on to balls... but I bet i'm wrong, i'm not even going to look.

The only teams players I am confident about giving an opinion on below the premier league is Leicester, Forest, Wednesday and Leeds (as well as Derby) the rest I could hazard a guess, but i'd still be shooting blanks. 

Wednesday and Leeds is because I know people at work who support them, so keep and eye on them as a little competition. 

Leicester are the team that on their game impress me the most in the division, fantastic team to watch on their day.

Forest because I like watching them struggle, but accumulated a lot of games over the years.. I don't watch them for long periods, and then see 4/5 games on the spin... this season I watched them a lot early on, and when McLeish was manager, and 2/3 games while Billy has been there  - I feel I could give a pretty good summary on their team, and what to expect.. who their players are, like McGugan for example - even when playing 'poorly' according to some forest fans, it was so blatantly obvious he had ability! I would of loved for us to get him at the end of the year, after his good little run I suspect he'll be looking towards a premier league side. 

What's wrong with suggesting lower league players?

Charlie Austin ain't done too bad, Gary Hooper either.

Glenn Murray, Craig Davies, Dwight Gayle, Chris Wood, Adam Le Fondre...

It's a suggestion because they are cheaper alternatives, scoring goals, being raved by the media and the respected clubs supporters nobody is saying "oh yes he's the player we should sign go get him"

What's wrong with suggesting lower league players?

Charlie Austin ain't done too bad, Gary Hooper either.

Glenn Murray, Craig Davies, Dwight Gayle, Chris Wood, Adam Le Fondre...

It's a suggestion because they are cheaper alternatives, scoring goals, being raved by the media and the respected clubs supporters nobody is saying "oh yes he's the player we should sign go get him"

Murray scored less than Sammon in his first season at this level.

Wood was not a lower league player.

What does ALF really offer? He scored about the same as Steve Davies in his last season at this level, as with Gayle.

Also, Craig Davies? Really?

Haha. I have said this to many people, let us sign 2-3 lower league players who have a good goal scoring record and see what happens. In no way is that a suggestion we just pick them out of a hat. Someone like Grigg would cost what £500,000 to buy and would be on let's say a 3 year contract for £5000 a week. Or we can snap up players who's previous contract was with a premier league club, but they never played because they were not good enough for the PL, have a bad - average goal scoring record, but luckily for us we only have to pay them £10,000 a week because they were technically an ex PL player. Cost of lower league player over 3 year contract plus transfer fee = roughly £1.25m cost of ex PL player over 3 year contract plus no transfer fee = roughly £1.5m. We could also then include money raised from a sale. 

What does Le Fondre offer? Well let's see, GOALS perhaps?

He's scored over twenty goals since signing for Reading (from a league two side) in fifty games, hardly poor is it?

He scored 12 goals in his big jump to championship football from Rotherham

Archived