the overhaul needed...is not of players!

Mostyn6

For a team like Derby, it's preferable to play a longer game than it would be the short passing game against teams like Leicester who're able to spend x5 as much on their more experienced players. If we had one of the best teams in the division, I'd expect we'd be able to pass it out from the back and work it from there. But we're not.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bigger picture is that yes, whilst we play nice dinky passes across the halfway line and through the centre circle, it's NOT actually positive play. It's not attacking, it's not going to create chances and it's not going to win games.

Within your response, you've unwittingly hit a nail on the head in the fact that we 'hunted for an equaliser'!! Why wasn't we hunting for an early lead? or a lead full stop!!

You play those passes to open up space to then play attacking balls, what you should be arguing about is how we then go forward, rather than the fact we actively look to hold some kind of possession in the midfield/defence at times in an attempt to both control the game and then make it easier to go forwards. That's why you do that. It's the second half of that possession that you should be more concerned with, not the fact we actually try to hold the ball and create space at times. Good lord.

For me the tactics aren't great, but they're not woeful either. They're just average Championship tactics. Atleast at times we've actually played some decent stuff, it's just a shame how the season we had Bueno ended up, had we held out a little stronger in the winter and Nigel stuck with them perhaps the club could've set a precedent on how we'd try to play from then on. I remember the game against Portsmouth at home that year, Moxey and Brayfrod were bombing on, Kuqi was winning everything, the playmakers behind him were tearing it up etc, and Pride Park actually had an atmosphere because of it.

Ok, it wasn't possession football back then either, but there was some great passing play involved. I'd like to see that come back, though sadly players with that ability aren't a common commodity, particularly for the wages and fees we have available to us.

You play those passes to open up space to then play attacking balls, what you should be arguing about is how we then go forward, rather than the fact we actively look to hold some kind of possession in the midfield/defence at times in an attempt to both control the game and then make it easier to go forwards. That's why you do that. It's the second half of that possession that you should be more concerned with, not the fact we actually try to hold the ball and create space at times. Good lord.

For me the tactics aren't great, but they're not woeful either. They're just average Championship tactics. Atleast at times we've actually played some decent stuff, it's just a shame how the season we had Bueno ended up, had we held out a little stronger in the winter and Nigel stuck with them perhaps the club could've set a precedent on how we'd try to play from then on. I remember the game against Portsmouth at home that year, Moxey and Brayfrod were bombing on, Kuqi was winning everything, the playmakers behind him were tearing it up etc, and Pride Park actually had an atmosphere because of it.

Ok, it wasn't possession football back then either, but there was some great passing play involved. I'd like to see that come back, though sadly players with that ability aren't a common commodity, particularly for the wages and fees we have available to us.

Agree. I don't think having possession of the ball is ever a bad thing, and in modern football possession is king anyway. When you have the ball it means two things: 1) it's much harder for the opposition to score, and 2) it's much easier for us to score. Scoring when you don't retain the ball tends to be a bit more difficult...

Regarding the point about Bueno, that's kind of what I was getting at with my earlier post - that's the kind of player we now need.

I can understand that some characters like to pretend that thay have the inside track to information coming from the training ground, but this is the first time that I've ever heard one claiming to have the combination of the safe where the manager's contract is kept so that he has knowledge of the various clauses contained therein.

Perhaps there was the mysterious woman handing him a little black book containing the details of the contract. The original film (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty) found Walter claiming that the book contains details of the whereabouts of the Dutch Crown Jewels, hidden since the war, and of course Johnny Metgod has featured prominently in this thread, so there must be something in it. Clough will obviously leave following the forced sale of Will Hughes and Jeff Hendrick

It actually makes more sense than what Mostyn was saying anyway.

I can completely understand why you would take this view so I'm not going to be like some people who would debate the point for ages, but time will tell. Sometimes I wish I could meet some of the people that post on here, and if you met me you would soon realize why my comment was credible. All the best.

Sorry Eddie, I missed that, the threads were going quite fast yesterday.

I'm not too bad at speaking, having had to give loads of briefings and read out statements a lot, but apart from my 'you know what I mean?' on RD last night, I rarely umm and arr.

Fair enough.

I listened to it earlier tonight - was too busy working on Monday night.

I can completely understand why you would take this view so I'm not going to be like some people who would debate the point for ages, but time will tell. Sometimes I wish I could meet some of the people that post on here, and if you met me you would soon realize why my comment was credible. All the best.

The connections were clever though, weren't they?

Metgod, Dutch Royal Family, Hendrick and Hughes, Crown Jewels etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you know that Metgod just works on fitness with the injured-returning players? Since he got all the compliments and limelight in 2010 after the World Cup, when we had Bueno, Commons and Cywka flying, he's been demoted.

Good to see Metgod finally taking a break from his job as tea boy to do the pre-match interviews for the B'ham game.

Good to see Metgod finally taking a break from his job as tea boy to do the pre-match interviews for the B'ham game.

You MUST have noticed though that we only saw his hands once.  The dutch got very good at keeping eye contact while using their hands under the table rolling big fat joints, comes in very handy now  cos they've demoted him so far the poor bugger was probably cutting the oranges while he was chatting.

I WISH every one of the negative posters on here actually took the time to watch and listen to the interviews on ramsplayer. The mood within the club is very positive.

Maybe Metgod has been brought back into the fold to steady the ship. 

While I'm not sure the ship is sinking just yet, it's taking on a lot more water than people are willing to admit. 

Maybe Clough has finally seen the iceberg?

I like maritime based analogies. 

Maybe Metgod has been brought back into the fold to steady the ship. 

While I'm not sure the ship is sinking just yet, it's taking on a lot more water than people are willing to admit. 

Maybe Clough has finally seen the iceberg?

I like maritime based analogies. 

Johnny'll give the team talks, tell the team to go out and play well.

Then when Nigel realises they're ignoring his "play like buffoons" instructions and catches them playing well he'll soon stop it with a miracle signal somewhere along the lines.

Playing well? It's just doesn't happen unless Johnny says so.

I WISH every one of the negative posters on here actually took the time to watch and listen to the interviews on ramsplayer. The mood within the club is very positive.

That's what worries me. They're content with where the club is. That's frightening. I would much rather they were saying they weren't happy and that things were going to change.

"Results have been poor and we have been conceding far too many soft goals from set pieces. But we're working hard on the training ground, and results will improve."

Even if it's just hot air, I'd rather hear that than "We were unlucky" every week. 

Archived