the overhaul needed...is not of players!

Mostyn6

Sitting watching Swansea play yesterday, I found myself quite jealous of how they've came from way behind us to be so far ahead of us.

I asked the question "What would happen to Swansea if Nigel Clough became their manager!", I imagine a few Swansea fans (about 20000) would shudder at the thought of what Negative Nigel would do to their fluid, impressive and successful team!

Firstly, half of the Swansea side would be chucked on the bench for not being defensive enough, both Routledge and Dyer would be out, as would Michu for being too languid and not tracking back. Britton would be dragged off after 10 minutes for trying too many audacious passes, and Williams would be b*llocked for passing it short instead of hoofing it at ear height to the target man.

The problem we have at Derby is the coaching staff setup the side to be worried about the opponent and to try not to lose.

We don't need a new bunch of players, we need a new mentality.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sitting watching Swansea play yesterday, I found myself quite jealous of how they've came from way behind us to be so far ahead of us.

I asked the question "What would happen to Swansea if Nigel Clough became their manager!", I imagine a few Swansea fans (about 20000) would shudder at the thought of what Negative Nigel would do to their fluid, impressive and successful team!

Firstly, half of the Swansea side would be chucked on the bench for not being defensive enough, both Routledge and Dyer would be out, as would Michu for being too languid and not tracking back. Britton would be dragged off after 10 minutes for trying too many audacious passes, and Williams would be b*llocked for passing it short instead of hoofing it at ear height to the target man.

The problem we have at Derby is the coaching staff setup the side to be worried about the opponent and to try not to lose.

I take it you didn't go on Saturday?

Nothing negative about the way we hunted for an equaliser.

All our coaches are overweight, have you seen Martin Taylor and Andy Garner recently? Great example they're showing the squad on how to live a healthy diet.

Metgod as an array of experience throughout Europe, but the rest? All below standard coaches if you ask me.

The scouting setup is the best though

I take it you didn't go on Saturday?

Nothing negative about the way we hunted for an equaliser.

The bigger picture is that yes, whilst we play nice dinky passes across the halfway line and through the centre circle, it's NOT actually positive play. It's not attacking, it's not going to create chances and it's not going to win games.

Within your response, you've unwittingly hit a nail on the head in the fact that we 'hunted for an equaliser'!! Why wasn't we hunting for an early lead? or a lead full stop!!

All our coaches are overweight, have you seen Martin Taylor and Andy Garner recently? Great example they're showing the squad on how to live a healthy diet.

Metgod as an array of experience throughout Europe, but the rest? All below standard coaches if you ask me.

Did you know that Metgod just works on fitness with the injured-returning players? Since he got all the compliments and limelight in 2010 after the World Cup, when we had Bueno, Commons and Cywka flying, he's been demoted.

I didn't know that a low weight is a common attribute amongst the game's great coaches.

That must be our problem. Our players think it's okay to be fat.

The bigger picture is that yes, whilst we play nice dinky passes across the halfway line and through the centre circle, it's NOT actually positive play. It's not attacking, it's not going to create chances and it's not going to win games.

Within your response, you've unwittingly hit a nail on the head in the fact that we 'hunted for an equaliser'!! Why wasn't we hunting for an early lead? or a lead full stop!!

We did hunt for an early lead. We had them pegged back for the first 15 minutes, they got in to the game, and with a bunch of players that are far superior to our own, they started hitting us on the break. We were under the cosh for a long time but agianst a side who have just gone second, I don't think that's a big surprise to anyone who knows anything about football.

There was nothing 'dinky' about the way we went at them towards the end on Saturday. We were offensive, and made every effort to get the ball forward, get in the box and score. And we should have equalised.

With regard to our approach not winning games. What about the 11 we've won this season? I guess we were just lucky?

Other clubs must laugh their head off when they see a club like us, mid table, apparently needing an 'overhaul'.

We need 2 or 3 more players. Saturday showed that. We're not exactly getting walloped, even by the top teams.

We did hunt for an early lead. We had them pegged back for the first 15 minutes, they got in to the game, and with a bunch of players that are far superior to our own, they started hitting us on the break. We were under the cosh for a long time but agianst a side who have just gone second, I don't think that's a big surprise to anyone who knows anything about football.

There was nothing 'dinky' about the way we went at them towards the end on Saturday. We were offensive, and made every effort to get the ball forward, get in the box and score. And we should have equalised.

With regard to our approach not winning games. What about the 11 we've won this season? I guess we were just lucky?

Other clubs must laugh their head off when they see a club like us, mid table, apparently needing an 'overhaul'.

We need 2 or 3 more players. Saturday showed that. We're not exactly getting walloped, even by the top teams.

Nigel? Is that you? Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Agree with what you say in the main that he is too negative.

Are you basing the highlighted comment on what we are doing this season?

Sorry, Am i hearing this correctly?

Our coaches are overweight and this is the reson we are in the bottom half (oh no the situation is not that bad!) Most coaches are quite large. I have heard some rubbish over the last few weeks but this is getting ridiculous.

All of our players are skinny and muscley so we do not need to worry. I would worry, however if we stuck our huge physio Neil Sullivan in centre mid and named him a box to box midfielder.

Agree with what you say in the main that he is too negative.

Are you basing the highlighted comment on what we are doing this season?

I'm basing it on what we've done all the time Clough has been manager, with Hulse, Kuqi, Porter, Davies and now Sammon all being expected to control the ball at ear-height twenty times a game.

I'm basing it on what we've done all the time Clough has been manager, with Hulse, Kuqi, Porter, Davies and now Sammon all being expected to control the ball at ear-height twenty times a game.

Fair enough. Just out of interest do you go to the home matches?

Fair enough. Just out of interest do you go to the home matches?

Of course, I dont think it's fair to comment on things you don't see with your own eyes.

Like I alluded to, people are easily deceived by what they think they see. People used to see Robbie Savage chase a backpass and think he's played well and is dedicated, when the reality was that he would then blow bubbles for ten minutes whilst the opposing centre midfielder would be man of the match.

Nowadays, people see some intricate dinky one-touch passing across the middle-third and think we are a fluid passing team, when the reality is nothing like it. As I said in the original post, I was watching Swansea yesterday all angry and jealous, but confident in knowing that our coaching setup would kill their style instantly, even though it's proven effective. I mean, Nigel has ruined our style enough times when it's been working, by making stupid changes.

Hull are third. Steve Bruce is a rather large individual.

Whilst I don't agree that the size of the coach should matter, Bruce is a manager not a coach.

I don't think Derby players suffer from lack of fitness or respect for the coaching staff. They might suffer from lack of inspiration, organisation and leadership though

Archived