next season...

nfb

Genuinely think we're not far off this year if the team are kept together. You have to remember every player in our starting 11 except Roberts if of an age where they are likely to be a better player next year than this year. That alone should bring us closer.

We just need to sure up the defence and hopefully replace Tyson with another option.

I worry that we are going to take he gamble that Barker will return as the player he was which basically means our chances rest on how good he will be.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can name 2 more dodgy Bavies assists.

Did you know that Savage had one of the higher pass completions in the entire league for one season with us?

If you ever watched him properly during a game, he took absolutely no risk with his passing, if he got the ball off a defender he passed it straight back to another defender. I once analysed his game, Leeds away, he never took two touches of the ball in the whole game. Complete waste of space.

This is so boring....

Won't someone please join me in thinking about Miss Derby County's long legs and pert little bottom instead of this essentially pointless debate about nigel clough and his transfer dealings.

Am I the only one on here who thinks it a bit premature to be talking about what's going to happen next season? Everyone, fans, club, management pretty much seem to have written off this season but there are still a fair few games left. How we do in those games will have a big part in determining whether there has been "demonstrable progress" made. I think that will be a big factor in how things go in the summer and whether the owners trust clough.

What I am basically saying is "eye on the ball people!"

To

This is so boring....

Won't someone please join me in thinking about Miss Derby County's long legs and pert little bottom instead of this essentially pointless debate about nigel clough and his transfer dealings.

You are joining me, I've been thinking about her all weekend. It was better than watching the game.

If you ever watched him properly during a game, he took absolutely no risk with his passing, if he got the ball off a defender he passed it straight back to another defender. I once analysed his game, Leeds away, he never took two touches of the ball in the whole game. Complete waste of space.

Exactly. Stats can be so misleading.

Exactly. Stats can be so misleading.

So can watching a game in fairness, most fans (me included) when at games don't analyse it properly, it's just too much information and tend to notice where the ball is. Watching a Derby game, and then watching it again on RamsPlayer or the football league app (for iphone/ipad users) can open your eyes to certain things - I would definitely recommend it!

Also stats are stats for a purpose, there is no hiding from them - pass completion is a laugh, I don't take no notice of that, as long as it's above the 70% mark then I would take it as acceptable - since some players play in a risker part of the pitch than others, it's easier for a defensive/central midfield player to get the passes going than it is for a striker/winger - as number of opponents and number of compatriots differ. So, I think we shouldn't rubbish stats because of one example...

I would just look at it in terms of position though, for instance: (3 for each)

A goalkeeper:

A 90% < for every game, you don't have your goalkeeper losing the ball.

Shots/crosses parried back into dangerous areas.

Crosses came and collected

Defender:

Aerial battle attempted (won/loss)

A 80% < pass completion - same reason as keeper, you don't want your defence losing the ball.

A 90% < succession in challenges against the opponent.

Centre Midfielder:

Moves completed/failed - for instance incorporate both runs and passes with this.

Forward movements / Backward movements.

A 70% < succession in challenges against their midfielder opponent.

Wingers:

[size=4]Moves completed/failed[/size]

[size=4]Forward movements / Backward movements [/size]

Chances created

Striker:

Movement - distance traveled.

Aerial Battle Attempted (won/loss)

Chances (saved/miss/scored/squanded)

I think these are short yet statistics that players could focus and improve upon, and they would out the obvious holes for instance the striker attempting to beat his man in the air, and wingers that passed backwards, or even worse the wingers that create nothing through a match.

It was certainly an eye opener watching Savage.

If I remember correctly he attempted around 4 tackles in the whole game, winning only 1, challenged for 2 headers, winning none, touched the ball 16 times, each time passing straight back where it came from apart from 1 clearance where he hooked it over his head, he spent the whole game running round in 10 yard circles, never picking a runner up.

It's amazing to think how many people he conned into thinking he could play over the years.

I still haven't properly got over him being here.

Nurse!

That's why I watch RamsPlayer even after I've been to the game. Some players make huge mistakes and in the emotion of things you can really nail them. Then on Ramplayer you might see lots of very tidy little parts of their game and realise that they weren't so bad.

My point about Bavies was simply that his 'assists' stats don't prove anything. Debating whether he's good or not is fair game. Stats can support whatever argument. But they aren't conclusive. Iniesta and Yaya you'd expect to probably reach 15 assists. I think Toure made less than 8 that season. Yet he's feeding forward players pretty much every time he picks it up.

Same with Savage. Don't quote me on the figure but I'm sure he put it up on twitter that he was like 80+% pass accuracy. You could argue that he's wonderful tidy midfield player. But it's easy when your breaking attacks by passing back where it came from.

Jacobs had 5 assists in one game. All corners. He actually played rather well though tbf

It was certainly an eye opener watching Savage.

If I remember correctly he attempted around 4 tackles in the whole game, winning only 1, challenged for 2 headers, winning none, touched the ball 16 times, each time passing straight back where it came from apart from 1 clearance where he hooked it over his head, he spent the whole game running round in 10 yard circles, never picking a runner up.

It's amazing to think how many people he conned into thinking he could play over the years.

I still haven't properly got over him being here.

Nurse!

“Everyone at the care home knew curb was a big fan of Derby County”…wept the nurse….”and we thought a visit from an ex-player might cheer him up a bit.”

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/52596000/jpg/_52596631_robbie_savage_diary

Archived