I'm hiding in here tonight

Day

I've got an appointment for 3 hours of tests @ the Midland Eye Hospital tomorrow.

I know I've got a cataract on the left eye.

Hope they say they'll be operating soon, yet don't like the thought of them opening up my eye while I,m awake.

Talk about mixed feelings eh?

blimey! good luck with that, theres no risk with the op is there? you should be alright.

I've got an appointment for 3 hours of tests @ the Midland Eye Hospital tomorrow.

Hope they say they'll be operating soon, yet don't like the thought of them opening up my eye while I,m awake.

Oh, nice of you to mention it, Steve, good luck with it tho, mate,

do they do braille internet yet ?

Good luck. I hate anything to do with eyes it really makes me ill.

Hope you go on ok Steve and have a speedy recovery :-)

Good luck steve

You might be cheered to learn that the chances of a fatality during cataract surgery are pretty rare.

You could suffer an infection ; one of those superbugs for example that eat away the flesh, or bacteria that overrun the immune system leading to a thousand agonies - headaches, vertigo, nausea, diarrhea, memory lapse, excruciating pain, outbreaks of boils, toxic shock, anal infections etc etc ...but you'd have to be a bit unlucky. Strangely though, more people die each year from superbug infections than from the combined total of deaths from AIDS, car accidents and breast cancer. So you never know....

Once you enter that hospital you just have to put your trust in there being an effective regime of hygiene measures which are rigorously adopted throughout the whole place. You'll be fine. Just think to yourself ' has everyone washed their hands?'. Actually 'has anyone washed their hands?'.

Of course anyone could suffer an allergic reaction to an anaesthetic.

Burning sensations, paralysis, tremors, shakes are all possible side-effects but hey.....if we worried about everything then we'd never do anything, would we? And it won't kill you. Well it will kill some people but probably not you.

The procedure itself is pretty straight forward.

You'll get a local anaesthetic via a spray into the eye and then a subsequent injection actually right into the eye.

My god. Probably sounds much worse than it is.....

Obviously you will need to avoid moving.Are you a wriggler?

Try not to think about it.

Sometimes the harder you try not to move, the more you want to move, and the more likely an involuntary movement is.

Best to grip the couch and keep abolutely rigid.

One slip and that scalpel could literally take your eye out.

You'll be fine.

Cheers for that, Ramnut, I reckon we all feel better for reading that.. :huh:

You forget to mention that there's a 50% chance that the doctors

have been known to perform the procedure on the wrong eye..

hommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

Good luck steve

You might be cheered to learn that the chances of a fatality during cataract surgery are pretty rare.

You could suffer an infection ; one of those superbugs for example that eat away the flesh, or bacteria that overrun the immune system leading to a thousand agonies - headaches, vertigo, nausea, diarrhea, memory lapse, excruciating pain, outbreaks of boils, toxic shock, anal infections etc etc ...but you'd have to be a bit unlucky. Strangely though, more people die each year from superbug infections than from the combined total of deaths from AIDS, car accidents and breast cancer. So you never know....

Once you enter that hospital you just have to put your trust in there being an effective regime of hygiene measures which are rigorously adopted throughout the whole place. You'll be fine. Just think to yourself ' has everyone washed their hands?'. Actually 'has anyone washed their hands?'.

Of course anyone could suffer an allergic reaction to an anaesthetic.

Burning sensations, paralysis, tremors, shakes are all possible side-effects but hey.....if we worried about everything then we'd never do anything, would we? And it won't kill you. Well it will kill some people but probably not you.

The procedure itself is pretty straight forward.

You'll get a local anaesthetic via a spray into the eye and then a subsequent injection actually right into the eye.

My god. Probably sounds much worse than it is.....

Obviously you will need to avoid moving.Are you a wriggler?

Try not to think about it.

Sometimes the harder you try not to move, the more you want to move, and the more likely an involuntary movement is.

Best to grip the couch and keep abolutely rigid.

One slip and that scalpel could literally take your eye out.

You'll be fine.

Cheers Ramnut.........How's you brother Eeyore?

And of course your cousin Marvin, the paranoid android?

Thanks everyone for the messages of encouragement (??)

I went to the Midland Eye this morning. They complimented me on having a brilliant cataract and after lots of eye drops etc told me I could have a cataract op within the next 3 months.

They also said that there is a membrane in the eye but not to worry. If it ruptures they can do a more complicated operation later (made me feel better that one! :ph34r: )

Oh and by the way..you've got the beginnings of a cataract in the other eye.

Isn't modern science wonderful?

Oh yeah...on the way to the hospital my pop bottle spi;t and has ruined my netbook. Doing this on Wifey's computer.

And the day's still young! :blink: