Referee for the Blackburn game

bcnram

I watched that match on TV with my dad. Could not believe what was going on. No end of replays could show even anything to warrant ruling out the goals! Surprised he still gets to be in charge of games, not as if the match was a one off of ineptness...

He was also the referee that gave the "ghost goal" between Watford and Reading a month or so earlier. Later that year he was added to the international list of referees for 2009. I am not even kidding.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was also the referee that gave the "ghost goal" between Watford and Reading a month or so earlier. Later that year he was added to the international list of referees for 2009. I am not even kidding.

To be fair to him (if I may 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> ), he was well and truly shafted by his linesman who was adamant that it was a goal.

The fact that he was promoted rapidly through the leagues probably shows that he had the refereeing knowledge to do the job. I suspect that what he was lacking was the maturity to do it well at a higher level and this has in part been dealt with by moving him from the elite group of referees into the Football League. Hopefully, he has learned to apply a bit of common sense to his refereeing.

I think some people on this thread have lost all sense of perspective.

The tone is ugly and does Derby supporters no credit whatsoever.

If fans feel cheated of their 'hard-earned', they quite possibly don't understand the capricious nature of sport. I suggest it's less to do with that than a rather pathetic need to have a hate figure.

One of the many reasons I gave up going to football is that I couldn't stand the hate that people seemed to have for others because they played or supported another team. The references to 'scum' etc etc.

It's not 'banter' as some claim. Banter is supposed to be witty, friendly, good-humoured.

Not this. This is unpalatable.

As I said, ugly.

I think you have conveniently forgotten that sport by nature appeals to basic emotions, its incredibly naive of you to say that people feeling cheated have forgotten the capricious nature of sport as its also that which stirs up the emotions wouldn't you say? Indeed some will have a pathetic need for a hate figure and Attwell put himself forward with the decisions he made on that afternoon and lets face it those that wanted hate figures had their pick already considering the opposition.

However what goes on inside the football stadium should stay there. In any case the worst you can expect this Saturday is for South East corner to give Attwell some stick at the start of the match, get bored of doing it and start chanting about hating Nottingham (and Leeds maybe) and saying the away support is ****.

"One of the many reasons I gave up going to football is that I couldn't stand the hate that people seemed to have for others because they played or supported another team. The references to 'scum' etc etc."

Should we clap both teams then??? if we did its not a game I'd like to watch

I dont agree the death threats (but that was just people sounding off) are a bit harsh but ffs I will never clap forest ever!

Atwell deserves to be verbally abused from the first min to the last because as a referee he is ****

"One of the many reasons I gave up going to football is that I couldn't stand the hate that people seemed to have for others because they played or supported another team. The references to 'scum' etc etc."

Should we clap both teams then??? if we did its not a game I'd like to watch

I dont agree the death threats (but that was just people sounding off) are a bit harsh but ffs I will never clap forest ever!

Atwell deserves to be verbally abused from the first min to the last because as a referee he is ****

I don't see the only alternative to calling people 'scum' to be clapping them. Calling people 'scum' is obnoxious.

And no, someone does not 'deserve to be verbally abused from the first minute to the last' for refereeing a football match.

Thank you for reaffirming what I find objectionable about football.

"Thank you for reaffirming what I find objectionable about football"

Glad to be of service, I suggest you take up watching beach volley ball or some other less passionate sport where your non offensive attitude will applauded! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

Watching beach volleyball raises my passions.

When i wrote passionate I didnt mean the touching yourself while watching redtube passion!!!

I like derby a lot but cmon! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

They have beach volleyball on Redtube? I thought the only sports on there were horizontal jogging and something that resembled blow football.

"Thank you for reaffirming what I find objectionable about football"

Glad to be of service, I suggest you take up watching beach volley ball or some other less passionate sport where your non offensive attitude will applauded! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

So for you 'passionate' and 'offensive' are synonymous?

So for you 'passionate' and 'offensive' are synonymous?

Mutually exclusive in my opinion.

I'd suggest that those who have stuck it out through thin and thinner at Pride Park are passionate, whereas those who are fair-weather fans who are waiting for the good times to return before they do are offensive.

Archived