Views on NC's signings as DCFC manager

jimbobram

I dont think Sammon is a good signing for over a million, i expect to be proved right in the future. I'd say Legzdins is a good signing as well, how much did we get him for?

Sammon, a striker who brings others into play and ultimately isn't going to be much of a goalscorer, a player that before even signing myself and at least one other agreed 8-10 goals this season would be a decent total from, has already gotten 5 goals. What do you expect from £1.2 mil? He has more goals this season than £2 mil Simon Cox and one less than ~£1.8 mil Billy Sharp, and to be blunt, he offers far more to the team than they do. What on Earth do you expect from him?!

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jake Buxton - average defender, only raved about cause of the goal vs florist

Shaun Barker - injured, but we still was in a relegation battle with him in the side.

John Brayford - good signing

Gareth Roberts - retiring soon, theres much better out there than a 34 yr old

Jamie Ward - good player...when fit

Theo Robinson - the same theo 75% of supporters slate after each game?

Jason Shackell - nothing specal, still leaked goals in for fun in defence

Frank Fielding - currently sat on the bench playing second fiddle to a league two signing

Craig Bryson - good signing

Michael Jacobs - good signing

Paul Coutts - average, a 17 year old kid is showing him up

Richard Keogh - good signing

Connor Sammon - for the fee paid, you could get the equivalent of three le fondres....

And they're the best signing? Fook me, whats the worse?!

Previous regime? The average wage in the Championship would have been considerably lower 8 years ago. Taking into account inflation as well, £6 mil in 2004-05 would have been around £7+ mil today. Again, he didn't have the Premiership and Jewell mess to sort out, nor did he come in midseason.

Well Albert you obviously answered my question, I thought ramblur was quoting the current wage bill against burleys who was here for how long ? Hence why I wondered if there was any dead wood in burleys figures that would have inflated it, as he hadn't got time to clear the previous managers high earners.

As for the average wage, once again I'm sure your right, I just thought given the current sign up to FFP there might have been a stance towards the lower wage, obviously I don't have your knowledge in this area.

Afraid my memory doesn't stretch enough to be able to answer your first point,Leeds Ram (perhaps someone can help us out?).However,I very much doubt that Clough would be able to bring in the likes of Raziak and Idiakez at anything like the wages they would have been on in 04/05,which is the fundamental point.European players abound everywhere you look (generally!) nowadays and you know what happens when demand sets in.

I assume your last point relates to LOG 06/07? If you like I can look up the figure (from memory total wages were c£15m),but I'm afraid it's a little pointless because we don't know the extent to which promotion bonuses skewed the figure (a point I put to Swiss Rambler).

No it was all referring to burley, no hidden agenda, just a question....thanks for the answer

Sammon, a striker who brings others into play and ultimately isn't going to be much of a goalscorer, a player that before even signing myself and at least one other agreed 8-10 goals this season would be a decent total from, has already gotten 5 goals. What do you expect from £1.2 mil? He has more goals this season than £2 mil Simon Cox and one less than ~£1.8 mil Billy Sharp, and to be blunt, he offers far more to the team than they do. What on Earth do you expect from him?!

Steve Howard brought others into play, was less mobile than Sammon and cost us less, oh and He scored goals...

The familiar excuse about Connor Sammon bringing others into play, therefore He is unable to score 15+ goals is nonsense.

Shaun Barker - injured, but we still was in a relegation battle with him in the side.

Frank Fielding - currently sat on the bench playing second fiddle to a league two signing

Paul Coutts - average, a 17 year old is showing him up

Connor Sammon - for the fee paid, you could get three le fondres....

Why can't people fact check their posts, it would make posting a much better experience:

Jake Buxton - Has been solid from his first appearance, has the odd off day, but ultimately he's performed admirably for a player most wrote off on first site after signing from Burton - A good player

Shaun Barker - He's been injured, but it's hardly the club's fault, he had a great injury record before arriving here. We were in a relegation battle as he battled against an injury, playing on injured, not exactly his fault. We were also in the playoffs in November with him at the back that season - A very good defender forus

John Brayford - I agree, a good signing, hasn't stopped people for slating him early this season

Gareth Roberts - Retiring soon, is that the best you've got for him? Giggs is turning 39 next year, don't let age decide a player's "quality". I doubt he'll play on for much longer, but he's been our best leftback in years - A good player

Jamie Ward - Appeared in 37 of 46 games last season, hardly the most injury prone player we've had, Commons averaged 32 a season, I don't hear you complaining about that now - A quality player

Theo Robinson - He's not a great player, but he scores goals, much like the ALF you mention later, make up your damn mind! - A good player

Jason Shackell - That's not what people said when he was sold - A good player

Frank Fielding - Frank was injured, and Legzdins has been good, why can't people credit good performance, rather than assume poor performance - A quality player

Craig Bryson - I agree, a good signing

Michael Jacobs - I agree, a good signing

Paul Coutts - ???, I don't understand, they have played different positions this season, and Coutts has formed a crucial partnership with Brayford that has allowed both to shine - A quality player

Richard Keogh - I agree, a good player

Connor Sammon - Make up your damn mind, one moment you're slating Theo for only scoring, then you complain about a striker who is about more than goals only scoring at a good rate. You know what his rate translates to over a whole season? ~12 goals, not a bad effort, and not something that is easy to match for £1.2 mil in this division. How many did Le Fondre score last season, as a striker who offers less to the team as a whole? What? 12 goals, I'll be darned?!

Steve Howard brought others into play, was less mobile than Sammon and cost us less, oh and He scored goals...

The familiar excuse about Connor Sammon bringing others into play, therefore He is unable to score 15+ goals is nonsense.

Excuse?

Excuse for what?

Some people who watch football are clever enough to understand that just because a player plays high up the pitch, goal scoring may not be the most important part to his game.

Also what makes you say he won't score 15+?

He is on 5 already and was short of match fitness for probably the first 5 to 10 games he played.

Howard cost us around £1 mil, and was a great signing. He score what... 16 goals. If Sammon keeps up his current rate (including a scoreless patch) he'll get around 12 goals... Not a huge amount of difference. I'd save the straight comparisons to the end of the season. I doubt Sammon will get 12, let alone 16, but we can't exactly compare yet.

Well Albert you obviously answered my question, I thought ramblur was quoting the current wage bill against burleys who was here for how long ? Hence why I wondered if there was any dead wood in burleys figures that would have inflated it, as he hadn't got time to clear the previous managers high earners.

As for the average wage, once again I'm sure your right, I just thought given the current sign up to FFP there might have been a stance towards the lower wage, obviously I don't have your knowledge in this area.

Now, you may not have noticed this, but FFP has yet to come into the play in any real sense, and more importantly, it can be avoided in key ways. But thanks for playing.

As for the wage bill, we had been cutting costs at that point, rather than blowing huge sums in the Premier League, so it's fair to assume that he didn't need to cut the wage bill to a third... but no, keep on your current thread of thought, I can see it becoming relevant when logic ceases to exist.

Paul Coutts - average, a 17 year old kid is showing him up

Connor Sammon - for the fee paid, you could get the equivalent of three le fondres....

Hughes is currently showing everyone at the club up.

are you going to slag off all of our players?

It is an excuse if your saying the style Sammon plays is stopping him from scoring more goals.

Who cares about his current strike rate, the argument is the fee involved was over the top.

Wigan paid Killie something like 600,000 and after one goal league his price doubles? How does that work out?

I expect a player with some ball control and an ability to finish. I've said it enough time in other threads, but for 1.2 million i expected much more. I havent really seen much of this 'bringing others into play', his control is usually so poor the ball bounces straight off him, admittedly i havent really seen him in our better home performances. He done well Saturday though, the first time i've seen him play well.

Ok he's scored 5, a very poor finish on Saturday that he got away with and another one where he was miles offside.

Nigel has made good and bad signings.

for his budget i think he;s done quite well and would like to see him with a large budget, every manager has made poor signings ans some a lot worse than clough has made e.g every paul jewell signing, Jo to man city need i go on.

he may have over spent on sammon but we were desperate for a striker every one was calling out for one.

Have to say some of Sammons performances have made me think he's exactly what we need. But also he's been clumsy and wasteful and as good a target man as Jamie Ward.

He's been inconsistent so the debate on him is to be expected.

I think Nigel is average in transfers. Has flops and has gems. Look at Redknapp, a 'wheeler dealer' who 'broke Spurs into a serious challenger for honours'. Yes, he bought some cracking players. He bought some massive flops on huge money too.

If a manager does well people tend forget what he wasted. If he struggles then its all 'Carroll and Downing' instead of 'Suarez' or whatever.

Transfer fees don't always tell the full story. Some freebies cost a fortune.

How is He showing everyone at the club up? Your basically calling the other ten players aload of **** then.

or calling him an exceptionally talented footballer. Have you seen him play? he is by far our best player. in what is a team with average to good players, and theo.

No it was all referring to burley, no hidden agenda, just a question....thanks for the answer

Sorry,simply misinterpreted your last point-never assumed there was an agenda.

To clear something up,I compared to 10/11 purely because this was the last available year to compare staffing numbers (which were also given in 04/05).Management and coaching had risen by 21 (41/20), Grounstaff etc had fallen by 9 (21/30) and admin risen by 2 (74/72)..

Current total wages will no doubt be a lot less than 10/11 (lot of high earners left in interim).

It is an excuse if your saying the style Sammon plays is stopping him from scoring more goals.

Who cares about his current strike rate, the argument is the fee involved was over the top.

Wigan paid Killie something like 600,000 and after one goal league his price doubles? How does that work out?

Maybe because he has spent a year at a Premier League club training with better players and under a good manager?

One way of looking at the success of Clough's buys is to look at the value of our team now compared to what it was. Obviously this involves a lot of guesswork on what players are worth.

I would definately say that our team is much more valuable now than it was back then. Obviously I would ignore Hendrick and Hughes as they werent bought but even still i think the team is worth a lot more.

We finally have a settled team where I dont expect to see 8 of the 11 starters change year on year. We are building a team rather than continually rolling the dice and patching up the holes with loan players.

Archived