Views on NC's signings as DCFC manager

jimbobram

It's ok calling it 'some stupid plaza' but you have to understand that this is the sort of idea that can secure is a secure income stream for many years to come and it has to be funded somehow.

Like yourself, if Hughes was sold, I too would like to see NC given a war chest, if that is what he wanted.

That being said, how would you feel if we sold Hughes and re-invested the money on a new Claude Davis and Robert Earnshaw?

Clough is not an idiot like Davies though, looking at his signings apart from 1 or 2 they have all been very good. He signs players who fit have the same mentality and give everything. He never panic buys. Earnshaw gave nothing apart from something for fans to abuse

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clough is not an idiot like Davies though, looking at his signings apart from 1 or 2 they have all been very good. He signs players who fit have the same mentality and give everything. He never panic buys. Earnshaw gave nothing apart from something for fans to abuse

But how will NC perform if he has money to spend?

I remember a great manager we once had called Arthur Cox who made some great signings when given little money but failed to achieve when given a bottomless pit of money.

If NC wants to sign players that fit the mould that he seems to like then I don't think he will require much money.

But so could every championship team.

Commons was already ours, and the other two were targets very early on, before they'd even become 100% established. Sharp and Commons seemed almost at arm's reach, while in truth it probably would have taken a lot to get Hooper.

But how will NC perform if he has money to spend?

I remember a great manager we once had called Arthur Cox who made some great signings when given little money but failed to achieve when given a bottomless pit of money.

If NC wants to sign players that fit the mould that he seems to like then I don't think he will require much money.

He knows who he wants to buy if he had big money and we all agree with him. examples, Hooper and Sharp, we would love them to play for us and if we had the money Nigel would have gone for them. He doesnt seem the type of manager to spend money just because his got it. Will leaving is always going to happen because his premier league quality. So weather Nigel has the money now, or has it in 2 years time isnt going to make a diffrence apart from the fact that if we have it now we can strengthen to years early. #InCloughWeTrust

He knows who he wants to buy if he had big money and we all agree with him. examples, Hooper and Sharp, we would love them to play for us and if we had the money Nigel would have gone for them. He doesnt seem the type of manager to spend money just because his got it. Will leaving is always going to happen because his premier league quality. So weather Nigel has the money now, or has it in 2 years time isnt going to make a diffrence apart from the fact that if we have it now we can strengthen to years early. #InCloughWeTrust

But he has also spent £1.2 million on Connor Sammon (which some believe to be a bad signing) and would probably have spent the same on John Eustace if given the funds (which again some would say would be a bad signing)

Just to be clear, I am in your camp and believe the signings he has made to date have been very good given the resources expended.

But how much did we get back for them players?

Money is only wasted when we sign someone and then have to pay them off to leave a la Claude Davis!

I dont agree with that logic, are you saying had we let Clod see out his contract it therefore would not have been a waste ?

Martin & Maguire played how many games for Derby, throw in Croft, Tyson, and even Bailey, that have arguably not improved the team, and could have been better spent elsewhere....with hindsight of course.

Clough has made some good, some poor and some average signings, but the poor ones have been a waste of money.

I dont agree with that logic, are you saying had we let Clod see out his contract it therefore would not have been a waste ?

Martin & Maguire played how many games for Derby, throw in Croft, Tyson, and even Bailey, that have arguably not improved the team, and could have been better spent elsewhere....with hindsight of course.

Clough has made some good, some poor and some average signings, but the poor ones have been a waste of money.

No, I am saying a transer fee is not wasted if money is recouped by selling the player on.

How many of the poor signings that he has made have failed to bring in a transfer fee when they left?

No, I am saying a transer fee is not wasted if money is recouped by selling the player on.

How many of the poor signings that he has made have failed to bring in a transfer fee when they left?

I think Moxey is the only one that could be argued was sold for a profit or break even, the rest at a loss ?

Over the 4 years he has been here, how many players has he moved on for a profit, even taking the current team, how many would you say, Bryson, Brayford, Ward, and Theo would be the ones that spring to my mind.

I would say his transfer record is very much hit and miss.

I think Moxey is the only one that could be argued was sold for a profit or break even, the rest at a loss ?

Over the 4 years he has been here, how many players has he moved on for a profit, even taking the current team, how many would you say, Bryson, Brayford, Ward, and Theo would be the ones that spring to my mind.

I think we recouped money for Martin and Maquire too.

Given the fact that these were very cheap signings anyway I don't think any would have incurred great losses.

Other poor signings he has made have usually been shipped out on loan pretty quickly, therefore, saving on any big wage bills.

I think on the limited resources he has been given he has found some gems.

I still believe Shackell may have made us a tidy profit but will wait until the accounts are published before saying any more on that.

In terms of the current team I think you could add Legzdins, Keogh and Coutts to your list, which would give us 7 out of our starting 11 being worth more than what we paid for them.

I would struggle to name any manager that has not made poor signings during their time.

Players we've paid transfer fees for:

Barker - Good

Moxey - Okay and from what I heard profit?

Martin - Worth a punt at £100k

Bailey - Had a good season and a bit, would be surprised if we couldn't get at least half what we paid back

Brayford - Good

Bavies - Had a good season last year

Naylor - Worth a punt at £100k

Shackell, Ward, Fielding, Bryson Legzdins - Good

Maguire - Poor choice

Keogh, Coutts, Jacobs, Sammon - Good

And the rest were Frees so worth a punt...

Very hit and miss? He's had pretty much a perfect record on the transfer market, especially compared to those who came before him. He's made barely any bad signings while here, and they were all quite cheap. How on Earth has his record been "very much hit and miss"?

If you exclusively deal in the bargain basement lucky dip, you are occasionally going to end up with a handful of sawdust and polystyrene chips. The thing is, those type of losses are not going to kill a club once in a while because the investment wasn't huge in the first place.

On the other hand, if you are a 'cheque book' manager, just one duffer could set you back £5m, even in this division - and that's going to amount to something like 25% of your club's entire annual turnover. Even if you know what you are doing, you are reliant on the player fitting in, having the right character and basically doing what you want him to do on the pitch.

Just signing Keogh and Barker means that Clough is in credit to the tune of about £4m. Throw in Brayford, Robinson, Bryson, Ward, Coutts, Fielding, Legzdins etc etc etc and he's well up.

Hit and miss? Not a chance.

Very hit and miss? He's had pretty much a perfect record on the transfer market, especially compared to those who came before him. He's made barely any bad signings while here, and they were all quite cheap. How on Earth has his record been "very much hit and miss"?

Chris Porter, Croft, Hendrie, Russell Anderson, David Martin, Maguire, Tyson, Cywka, Naylor, just ones I can think off top of my head, oh and Pringle.

No dig at clough, and you may think that these players were good, or didnt affect the cash flow in any way of form and all played for free, but IMO they are poor / average signings, if your veiw he has a perfect record....fair enough :-)

Archived