Derby County v Leeds United

froggg

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A deserved victory and the kind of controlled performance we've become accustomed to seeing at Pride Park in recent months. Although strangely we seemed determined to let Leeds back into the game late on with the defensive substitutions, running the clock down, having a picnic by the corner flag and not showing any attacking intent whatsoever.

As we were the better side for the majority of the game, it would have been a travesty if it had ended all square and it's a shame we just seem to try and shut up shop rather than continue playing positively sometimes. It ended up 3-1 but could have been 4 or 5 if we'd kept playing in the right manner. Thankfully, Davies scored the all-important third to put the game beyond doubt but it's fair to say we ran the risk of squandering the win late on and not for the first time either. Our best form of defence is most definitely attack.

The first half was quite one-sided and how Leeds managed to go into the break on level terms was quite puzzling. We had completely nullified them up until that point but of course at this level, you switch off for one moment and you can get punished and we were. The confidence gained from their equaliser seemed to carry through into the second half but once we settled down we were full value for our lead when it arrived and it could have been more.

Hughes was the best player on the pitch by some distance and I must spare a word for Sammon's performance too, the best I've seen from him in a Derby shirt.

How we could do with a win next Saturday at Ashton Gate to really build some momentum.

A deserved victory and the kind of controlled performance we've become accustomed to seeing at Pride Park in recent months. Although strangely we seemed determined to let Leeds back into the game late on with the defensive substitutions, running the clock down, having a picnic by the corner flag and not showing any attacking intent whatsoever.

As we were the better side for the majority of the game, it would have been a travesty if it had ended all square and it's a shame we just seem to try and shut up shop rather than continue playing positively sometimes. It ended up 3-1 but could have been 4 or 5 if we'd kept playing in the right manner. Thankfully, Davies scored the all-important third to put the game beyond doubt but it's fair to say we ran the risk of squandering the win late on and not for the first time either. Our best form of defence is most definitely attack.

The first half was quite one-sided and how Leeds managed to go into the break on level terms was quite puzzling. We had completely nullified them up until that point but of course at this level, you switch off for one moment and you can get punished and we were. The confidence gained from their equaliser seemed to carry through into the second half but once we settled down we were full value for our lead when it arrived and it could have been more.

Hughes was the best player on the pitch by some distance and I must spare a word for Sammon's performance too, the best I've seen from him in a Derby shirt.

How we could do with a win next Saturday at Ashton Gate to really build some momentum.

Spot on..

I had an argument with MrRam towards the end - I wanted to watch some attacking football, and I was really peed off when I saw Jacobs (i think it was him) running down the wing wanting to cross it to Sammon, who was screaming at him to go into the corner, which he did, and some people were booing and I was like FFS Derby. We did lose it eventually, and they had a bit of a soft attack and then, well, Special team........ 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' /> and the shirt came off..... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' />

I had an argument with MrRam towards the end - I wanted to watch some attacking football, and I was really peed off when I saw Jacobs (i think it was him) running down the wing wanting to cross it to Sammon, who was screaming at him to go into the corner, which he did, and some people were booing and I was like FFS Derby. We did lose it eventually, and they had a bit of a soft attack and then, well, Special team........ 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' /> and the shirt came off..... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' />

nearly as toned as me is Ben Davies.

This is bbc sports subtitle to the match report.

'Derby gain only their second victory in six games as they end Leeds' three-match winning run with a 3-1 win at Pride Park.'

Make it sound like it's a massive shock we've beat leeds. Cnuts.

It really doesn't make sense that a team would boo a side trying to preserve a lead by taking the ball into the corner.... Maybe its just my age...

Personally I've enjoyed the way we've been playing recently. It's been positive, we've been having a go at teams and not showing them respect.

I didn't boo the time wasting but it was frustrating, almost embarrassing to watch. In my mind, trying to run down the clock, retain the ball near the corner flag and generally sit back and soak up pressure is the kind of thing you'd expect to see if we were 1-0 up at Old Trafford and up against it, not at home to a fairly ordinary Leeds side.

In the last 10-15 minutes, we certainly could have been more ruthless in my opinion and put some real daylight between the sides, rather than inviting pressure and almost surrendering the initiative.

This is bbc sports subtitle to the match report.

'Derby gain only their second victory in six games as they end Leeds' three-match winning run with a 3-1 win at Pride Park.'

Make it sound like it's a massive shock we've beat leeds. Cnuts.

Well I'm bored, waiting for the FLS.......not expectin Maneeeeesshh to have owt nice to say.

Personally I've enjoyed the way we've been playing recently. It's been positive, we've been having a go at teams and not showing them respect.

I didn't boo the time wasting but it was frustrating, almost embarrassing to watch. In my mind, trying to run down the clock, retain the ball near the corner flag and generally sit back and soak up pressure is the kind of thing you'd expect to see if we were 1-0 up at Old Trafford and up against it, not at home to a fairly ordinary Leeds side.

In the last 10-15 minutes, we certainly could have been more ruthless in my opinion and put some real daylight between the sides, rather than inviting pressure and almost surrendering the initiative.

Its all about opinions.....

I thought we spent the last 10 minutes taking the game to them and scored a superb late goal to kill the game.......oh well!

Its all about opinions.....

I thought we spent the last 10 minutes taking the game to them and scored a superb late goal to kill the game.......oh well!

I agree completely Utch.

We neutralised them completely and let them think that by crowding our half they might snatch a point. As well as a strong defence we were able to take advantage of their lack of defenders to slip the ball into the net to hammer home our superiority. A great end to a great game!

And great refereeing too I thought!

Great win, great performance.

Sammon was absolutely outstanding. Ran the Leeds backline ragged, tracked back, was intelligent with the ball in the main, and weighed in with a goal. Looked every inch a £1.2m striker, took his goal extremely well.

Most significantly, IMO, was Hughes performing so well in a midfield two. He normally needs Hendrick and Bryson to look after him in the middle but he was the main man in the middle today. Maybe it's a sign of him maturing after a few games, but he was making tackles and putting himself about as well as being our main creative player.

Hendrick was excellent too, the break Clough gave him has turned out to be very good management.

Robinson was frustrating again, I'm just not convinced he can perform for 90 minutes on a regular basis. I'd be tempted to give Bennett or Doyle a start soon. Sure Robinson won't want to be a regular sub but he seems most useful off the bench.

Happy days overall.

Agree with that though bear in mind that Robinson is playing only for his finishing and only two goal line clearances prevented him from scoring twice. He offers nothing else but I can see why Clough plays him.

Archived