Derby County v Leeds United

froggg

Was talking about Sammons goal today... brilliance or lucky?

I'm a big fan of Sammon, I like his style of play as a striker - however, I would never class him as 'tactful' more of a player who will put his body through anything and move.

His goal against Leeds I can't work out...

First of all, the run off the ball - was fantastic left the defender caught in no-mans land.

His first touch to let it run through his legs is absolutely class watching it again... really, well done.

The shimmy to beat his man, and get his shot away... again, first class.

Now for the controversial shout, the actual shot... did he slip or did he simply throw Paddy Kenny off and placed it? if it's the latter, such a clever goal.

I think he'll now start scoring more, certainly looks a lot more upbeat about his chances and scoring is an art of being confident infront of goal, any owd turnip can swing a leg at a ball, but the bold movement off the ball, and the decisive touches in the box is the the difference... and if the finish was 'meant' then, it shows incredible composure and intelligence infront of goal.

A few times we've seen him this season, either half a second to late to a ball in the box or trying to get a shot away early and just losing out.

Anyway, feed the fish.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a big fan of Sammon, I like his style of play as a striker - however, I would never class him as 'tactful' more of a player who will put his body through anything and move.

First of all, the run off the ball - was fantastic left the defender caught in no-mans land.

His first touch to let it run through his legs is absolutely class watching it again... really, well done.

Now for the controversial shout, the actual shot... did he slip or did he simply throw Paddy Kenny off and placed it? if it's the latter, such a clever goal.

I think he'll now start scoring more, certainly looks a lot more upbeat about his chances and scoring is an art of being confident infront of goal, any owd turnip can swing a leg at a ball, but the bold movement off the ball, and the decisive touches in the box is the the difference... and if the finish was 'meant' then, it shows incredible composure and intelligence infront of goal.

A few times we've seen him this season, either half a second to late to a ball in the box or trying to get a shot away early and just losing out.

Anyway, feed the fish.

I'll admit he done well up until the shot, actually surprised me with what he done before the shot. But the finish, was never in a million year, anything more than a scuff that if Kenny had stayed still he would have saved comfortably. If anyone thinks he deliberately put it straight down the middle, anticipating Kenny would dive to his right, they're very much deluded.

Sammon done ok Saturday, should have scored more than one, but he done alright.

Definitely not intended. Not taking anything away from him as he did really well to create the opening in the first place but he fell over.

One thing about him that has surprised me is how quick he is over 20-30 yeards. Don't get me wrong he'll never beat Theo or Wardy in a race but for a big, bulky bloke he's surprisingly nippy...

A car load were at Derby-Leeds then made the Wolves-Brum game on saturday..didn't they YoungUttoxRam? No excuse baggie boy!

some people have the sense not to do these stupid things which we do! Was nice to see us win and sit with a crowd full of brummie's and watch them lose. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Anyway, feed the fish.

At the match I said he had definitely scuffed it.

Watching it again on the FLS it was not scuffed.

Like you said it was either a very intelligent goal or just quite possibly the worst shot ever!

At the match I said he had definitely scuffed it.

Watching it again on the FLS it was not scuffed.

Like you said it was either a very intelligent goal or just quite possibly the worst shot ever!

The Fish himself was quoted on the official site saying

Meanwhile, the 26-year-old admits his fifth goal of the campaign was not the cleanest of strikes, but Sammon says he is just happy to see the ball hit the back of the net, in whatever way it comes.

He added: “I haven’t hit it as cleanly as I would have liked, but fortunately it has wrong footed the goalkeeper.

The Fish himself was quoted on the official site saying

Meanwhile, the 26-year-old admits his fifth goal of the campaign was not the cleanest of strikes, but Sammon says he is just happy to see the ball hit the back of the net, in whatever way it comes.

He added: “I haven’t hit it as cleanly as I would have liked, but fortunately it has wrong footed the goalkeeper.

That cleared that up then!

I really don't care, and I'm surprised so many seem to.

The best moment of the game against the Dirties came after Will tore through their defence leaving man after man in his wake - and then he pulled the trigger, hit it right out of the screws and Paddy Kenny saved it.

Any shot on target has a chance of going in, and by and large that's all a striker concentrates on. If he catches it flush, it can be saved - equally if he hits it with a stick of celery like Sammon did, it can make the keeper look like a fool and end up in the onion bag.

Job done.

Archived