Tom Naylor

DcFc Dyycheee

I think he wants to give Gjokaj a chance but was wary that against Bolton that would leave us too inexperienced in defence. I think he should have given Gjokaj a go myself, but it sounds as though Davies and Brayford both played well out of position so it was probably the right decision.

The quote is from today's DET loan article

"We have Valentin Gjokaj, who is a centre-half, and he is chomping at the bit for a chance. We would have no problems playing him. He has done fine in the under-21s and probably deserves his chance."

See what he does vs Watford.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Boycie

Priority has now moved again to the defender we have been missing all season - a quality old head to play at CB alongside Keogh. I know the place has to be kept open for Barker's return but we could give someone a short term contract or get a loan in. If Barker does make a full recovery we will have a really good pairing - though it will be interesting to see who plays RCB........................

Meantime the lack is costing us so many games / points .

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Boycie

Priority has now moved again to the defender we have been missing all season - a quality old head to play at CB alongside Keogh. I know the place has to be kept open for Barker's return but we could give someone a short term contract or get a loan in. If Barker does make a full recovery we will have a really good pairing - though it will be interesting to see who plays RCB........................

Meantime the lack is costing us so many games / points .

I think that Keogh is a lot of the problem these recent games rather than the person partnering him.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Clearly isn't good enough...

For those who think that couple of games in the side where he was decent is evidence to the contrary need to take a look at the bigger sample size of his loan stints.

I feel sorry for the lad, another one who Clough has a dislike to and has shown him the door. I thought Naylor played well in the games I saw him at right back and to say hes a centre half he hasnt had a chance. The game that I think Clough holds against the lad is the Scunny game when they dumped him in at left back. Good look Tom 

These loans are a chance for players to shine. Go out impress and play some football! For me where the players go on loan says a lot.

Newport seems his level (league 2), same with ball, Atkins, gjokaj etc. if they go to league 2 and impress then enter Cloughs plans again!

It's all lovely wanting everyone to be a success at derby, reality is it will never happen. Some people disappoint, some over achieve and impress, there's no room for sentiment in the end though.

I feel sorry for the lad, another one who Clough has a dislike to and has shown him the door. I thought Naylor played well in the games I saw him at right back and to say hes a centre half he hasnt had a chance. The game that I think Clough holds against the lad is the Scunny game when they dumped him in at left back. Good look Tom 

Welcome to the forum Tom.

:D

Why is it that whenever Clough decides that a player isn't good enough, or he is surplus to requirements, 'its another one that he has taken a dislike to'? Why does there have to be anything personal in it?

We can't afford a squad of thirty odd players, some of them have to be sold. Its business and it can be tough, decisions have to be made and that's part of the reason why managers get good money. Every manager releases players, why should Clough be any different? Where is the evidence that Clough dislikes Naylor, Robinson, Tyson etc etc on a personal level? They are employees of the club, they are not supposed to be his mates.

I thought Naylor performed admirably during his call up to the first team, but there has obviously been some glitch with his progression! 

I do wish him the best of luck, and, by some miracle gets himself back into the first team picture will support him thoroughly. You've got to remember that these players are watched in training day in and day out by the management, therefore know their quality inside out. 

Ive never seen anything other from him (other than the scunny game at left back) that proves he can't cut it at this level, he has always looked competent, it's a shame but this is understandably going to happen. 

Archived