Derby County v Barnsley

froggg

We were excellent tonight. Barnsley didn't seem very interested in doing anything but ruining our football, but we powered through it and quality won. As a result, it wasn't that pretty, but anyone could tell the best team won tonight.

A number of candidates for MOTM tonight, and for me its between Hughes and our CBs. I'd give it to Hughes. This was not the sort of night a player like him should thrive but tonight he blew all fears he can't make his mark on a physical game out of the atmosphere with a brilliant display. He also made both goals.

A very happy trip back down to Kettering in time for the election results.

C'mon Obama.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still angry about the P'Boro result.

I'm not saying everybody should beat P'Boro away because they aren't much worse than anybody else. But every team will see P'Boro away as a chance to get an away victory. A good chance. And it's often these sort of fixtures we manage to lose all too often.

But I'm almost over it after getting 6 pts where I would of liked 4.

We are doing very ok. The odd slip Burnley (h) P'Boro (a) still bugs me knowing that 4 pts from those two wouldn't be beyond us and yet would make a big difference in a tight league.

Still, I think that's being harsh.

But harsh is still true

Nathan Tyson is winning me over.

Great strike from him.

Didn't play that great this match, but got the win!

Keogh was class.

Hughes was class.

Theo was poor.

Hendrick was poor. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

2 tough away games coming up, would take 1 win from the two.

COMEEE ON YOUUU RAAAAMS!

I thought Barnsley were good tonight - not the football stoppers they were made out to be! I just think we were average tonight until the 75 mark and then went piss poor... I thought we were in danger of chucking it away until Tyson slammed the ball into the back of the net! One of our worst performances of the season without a doubt but we managed to get the win which is good trait especially in this league, we got promoted on them with Billy Davies mind.

Ratings:

Lego - 7

Brayford - 7

Keogh - 8

O'Connor - 7

Roberts - 6

Coutts - 6

Hughes - 7

Hendrick - 6

Bryson - 6

Sammon - 7

Theo - 6

Tyson - 9 - relative to how long he was on the pitch, was fantastic!

Jacobs - 8

Freeman - n/a

A good all round performance. Not the best, by far, but we played some good stuff and deserved the win. Sammon was by far the better of the two strikers, but him and Robinson (who was poop) wasted too many opportunities.

Lego - 7 - wasn't massively troubled, but did well

Brayford - 7 - better attacking than defending

Keogh - 7 - not his best game but still very good

O'Connor - 8 - one of his best games.

Roberts - 7 steady eddie

Coutts - 7 - was solid all around

Hughes - 8 - excellent setup for the 2nd goal

Hendrick - 7 - did his job well

Bryson - 7- the usual

Sammon - 7 - worked hard and shat on their defence

Theo - 6

Tyson - 7 - that goal was fantastic!

I thought we were a bit lacklustre today but it bodes well that we still won the game. I think we put a lot into Saturday's performance and only three days removed from that, it seemed to tell.

Barnsley, to their credit, made it difficult for us. They were organised at the back, comfortable in possession, dangerous on the break and did a very good job of taking the sting out of the game. For long periods, I thought to myself it's going to be one of those nights where we're left frustrated. It looked like a draw, which wouldn't have been unfair, or maybe Barnsley would nick it.

But we kept at it and kept at it and finally got our breakthrough. It was a good delivery from Hughes and Keogh was unfortunate not to score but O'Connor did well to follow the ball in. And after that, it was quite disappointing but not at all surprising that we sat back and tried to hang on for the lead but we completely surrendered the initiative and almost the game.

Thankfully, Tyson put the game beyond doubt. What a lovely finish. A confident, hungry Nathan Tyson is a dangerous Nathan Tyson. A run in the side can't be too far away if he keeps it up.

We can't afford to get complacent. We will need to play better on Saturday if we're going to win, that's for sure.

O'Connor was my man of the match.

We were excellent tonight. Barnsley didn't seem very interested in doing anything but ruining our football, but we powered through it and quality won. As a result, it wasn't that pretty, but anyone could tell the best team won tonight.

A number of candidates for MOTM tonight, and for me its between Hughes and our CBs. I'd give it to Hughes. This was not the sort of night a player like him should thrive but tonight he blew all fears he can't make his mark on a physical game out of the atmosphere with a brilliant display. He also made both goals.

A very happy trip back down to Kettering in time for the election results.

C'mon Obama.

Careful, you sound a little like a Gump lol

Good game to win as Barnsley came for a draw and wasted every second they possibly could, Keogh & O'Conner commanding at the back..Bryson hit a 40yd pass to an advancing Brayford down the right wing first half that was worth the entrance fee alone superb... Tyson & Sammon both missed chances rescued by Tyson in the end, he looked sharp, as you'd expect as he's not played, and a well taken goal just when barnsley might sneeeeeeeek something a good 3 points..

I'm still waiting for my dad to ring me telling me all about last nights game and how good Barnsley were........

...........I'm still waiting.....

....nope, still no word........ 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

foookin love having the bragging rights me. Tough **** Daddy dearest 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

I thought we were a bit lacklustre today but it bodes well that we still won the game. I think we put a lot into Saturday's performance and only three days removed from that, it seemed to tell.

Barnsley, to their credit, made it difficult for us. They were organised at the back, comfortable in possession, dangerous on the break and did a very good job of taking the sting out of the game. For long periods, I thought to myself it's going to be one of those nights where we're left frustrated. It looked like a draw, which wouldn't have been unfair, or maybe Barnsley would nick it.

But we kept at it and kept at it and finally got our breakthrough. It was a good delivery from Hughes and Keogh was unfortunate not to score but O'Connor did well to follow the ball in. And after that, it was quite disappointing but not at all surprising that we sat back and tried to hang on for the lead but we completely surrendered the initiative and almost the game.

Thankfully, Tyson put the game beyond doubt. What a lovely finish. A confident, hungry Nathan Tyson is a dangerous Nathan Tyson. A run in the side can't be too far away if he keeps it up.

We can't afford to get complacent. We will need to play better on Saturday if we're going to win, that's for sure.

O'Connor was my man of the match.

Good assessment, thought Barnsley were very poor up front, they only looked like scoring when we went one up and then went into panic mode for some reason - odd seeing we had dominated the game up til then. Would have been a total injustice had they equalised.

Barnsley came for a point and after about 10 minutes it was clear that the game was going to be about whether we could break them down and how long it would take.

Credit to the team for keeping on going, and credit to Nigel for making positive substitutions in Jacobs when we started dropping off after going ahead, and then Tyson. Fully expected to see Bucko, but Jacobs was the right call and helped us keep some forward momentum in the closing minutes.

I'm still waiting for my dad to ring me telling me all about last nights game and how good Barnsley were........

...........I'm still waiting.....

....nope, still no word........ 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

foookin love having the bragging rights me. Tough **** Daddy dearest 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Didnt you used to support Barnsley?

Didnt you used to support Barnsley?

Support? Not really, not like I do Derby. I got took to matches at Oakwell in the 80's but I'll be honest and say I couldn't name you one player from back then, so I went but didn't really pay attention. It wasn't until I met Dav that I took a real interest in football, but it wasn't Barnsley.

I wouldn't want to see them relegated though, but I do always want us to beat them.

Support? Not really, not like I do Derby. I got took to matches at Oakwell in the 80's but I'll be honest and say I couldn't name you one player from back then, so I went but didn't really pay attention. It wasn't until I met Dav that I took a real interest in football, but it wasn't Barnsley.

I wouldn't want to see them relegated though, but I do always want us to beat them.

Fair.

I like Barnsley, and Doncaster, considering i hate Yorkshire i dont mind those two clubs.

Archived