Doomed to be a Championship club - pros and cons

Cisse

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say we're closer to relegation than promotion..

I don't think for a minute we'll be sucked into a relegation battle but all it would take is a long term layoff for the likes of Ward, Bryson, Hughes or Keogh and we'd then really start to struggle..

Bad luck, poor runs of form and refereeing decisions can also play a part but I feel we have many average players and if our better players get injured I worry who is going to stand in for them..

If we field a side like the following because of injuries or suspensions or whatever I really feel for us..

Fielding Brayford O'Connor Buxton Roberts Coutts Hendrick B.Davies(or Doyle) Jacobs Theo(or Tyson) Sammon

Basically taking out Hughes, Keogh, Ward and Bryson it looks a below average NPC side7relegation struggler.. So if we ever go into a game with 2 or more of the key 4 missing we're really likely to struggle..

On the other hand if we keep those 4 and improve another 4 players to their level we'd be in a with a playoff shout.. You tell me which is more likely? Bringing in another 4 or losing those 4?

Moneywise is a nightmare. The longer we are here, the less we make, the less we make, the less we spend, the less we spend, the longer we are here. No exposure etc etc.

Footballwise, brilliant if you're a Cardiff/Hull. You can enjoy going all over the country and take true belief you can win every time. You don't have to play damage limitation and hope for a draw against anybody. It's great.

But not how it is now. We hope to get anything at all away to supplement our wins at home. We need to push on a bit to really experience the fun to be had in this league.

Oh, and we don't have to play Stoke.

It's a lottery league, we're no better or worse than most sides in this division. Anybody can beat anybody, any team can go on an impressive run and look to push on (Crystal Palace atm) and some sides can hit rock bottom and look like going nowhere (Ipswich or Bolton perhaps). Chances are most sides at some point this season will have a thread on their forums questioning their ambition and whether they're going anywhere, usually after a poor defeat similar to what we've suffered today. Sorry for being neutral but that's what I think.

Are we moving forwards? I'd say yes, but perhaps too slowly. We're certainly a better team than three years ago, but there are undoubtably areas in which the squad could be made better (I'll leave it to others to discuss these).

But hey, it could be worse. Ipswich have been in this league since 2002, and they're going backwards.

After 16 games we have 26 points, (included the two games V Leeds and the remaining Forest match in there as those points are guaranteed).

Probably not enough for the play offs but most of us expected that. Still on for a decent top 10 finish and a serious push for promotion next season.

If Mr. Appleby would care to give Nige £3m in January we could bring that forward by a year!

You won't be on this forum very long if your poetry doesn't improve...

Now that's harsh. How many Scandinavian poems have been on this forum that are better than mine ? I admit I ain't no Steve B but with a little practice I just might challenge him in the future. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' />

It depends on how long it takes for the board to come to the realisation that DCFC cannot be run like a business.

To achieve promotion and then stay in the Premiership they will have to put aside all of their business practices and morals they've had since getting out of nappies and spend more than what they earn.

The banks will no doubt support this as they seem more keen on lending money to football clubs than they do to lending money to those really in need and we will lose money year on year but at least we will be in the Premiership.

Great, I can't wait. Losing to the top 4~5 home and away, trying to scrape results at home against those mid table clubs and having a target of simply reaching 40 points.

The negativity on here after we lose is incredible. If we went up that negativity would be something we'd have to become more accustomed to.

Woah. Why has this 3-0 defeat to Peteboro' made everyone decide, above everything else that's happened these past few seasons, that we're a mid-table side? Never read so much stuff to that effect in one night.

It's a bit like constantly putting your girlfriend down all the time, but she breaks up with you for forgetting to put the bins out one night after 4 years of verbal abuse.

Weird.

Woah. Why has this 3-0 defeat to Peteboro' made everyone decide, above everything else that's happened these past few seasons, that we're a mid-table side? Never read so much stuff to that effect in one night.

It's a bit like constantly putting your girlfriend down all the time, but she breaks up with you for forgetting to put the bins out one night after 4 years of verbal abuse.

Weird.

But, were there any 'sexual' problems ?..

When i saw the team sheet, the thought did cross my mind that - in the context of watching derby for many many years - it was a bit of a sh-t team.

Still i didn't expect a 3 nil defeat even though we rarely seem to do well there.

As for the original question - we will be mid-table at best until there is some decent investment in the team.

I'm not knocking Gse's investment in the club.....but we need investment in the team.

Starting with a couple of good strikers.

Archived