Attendances

davenportram

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a personal note, I've not been in a financial or geographical position to be a season ticket holder since the early 90s but I don't consider myself disloyal. I haven't started following another team.

My priorities no longer include going to football. My interest is there but the inclination to travel a couple of hours, spend all of my disposal income watching something that I probably won't enjoy has gone.

I know I'm going to get so much more from an afternoon in the park with my daughters.

It's difficult to see Derby County getting any of my money in the foreseeable.

[size=4]

Disloyal... Not insulting anyone...

Like it.

[/size]

[size=4]I don't think you saw my first post man.[/size]

[size=4]"We've been crap for the last 4 seasons and attendances have shown that. Money is obviously another issue, but if we were in the Prem, we'd be sold out week-in week-out. Goes to show who the loyal fans are."[/size]

[size=4]Basically saying, that if we were in the prem we'd be sold out now, but cause we're in the Championship, we aren't selling out. Even last season, we sold what, 32,000 first game of the season? Opening game this season? 27,000-6,000 away. where are those 10,000 fans that never turned up this time around? I mean, a[/size]re you loyal if you only watch Derby when they're in the Prem? Imo, no.

Maybe I am wrong. I'm certainly not saying you're not a fan, I'm just saying people who can be considered 'glory hunters', are not loyal fans. And I don't understand how that could insult anybody. I mean if you're making the decision not to watch derby, based on who they're playing, then you're not loyal. Simple as that really.

[size=4]Also, I saw your other post. I didn't say your're not loyal if you can't afford it etc. The only reason I said people weren't loyal fans was if they acted like 'glory hunters'. Thus, not people like yourself. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />[/size]

I think a lot of fans have woken up and smelt the hummus. Of course the attendance at Pride Park is going to go down say when we were relegated, and its only really been the past 2 seasons that I've really noticed attendances go down, I agree with networker1884 that a lot of fans have been glory hunters but I think those sort of fans left when we got relegated. I've been going for 10 years now and I remember suffering under Phil Brown, but real fans stick with their club through thick and thin if you'll pardon the pun. It has to be the fact that we haven't got anywhere for 3 seasons now, who wants to pay £400 to go watch a mid table team? And I don't know how the board can justify raising prices when we aren't performing very well if you'll pardon the pun, if that's not twisted logic I don't know what is.

I think a lot of fans have woken up and smelt the hummus. Of course the attendance at Pride Park is going to go down say when we were relegated, and its only really been the past 2 seasons that I've really noticed attendances go down, I agree with networker1884 that a lot of fans have been glory hunters but I think those sort of fans left when we got relegated. I've been going for 10 years now and I remember suffering under Phil Brown, but real fans stick with their club through thick and thin if you'll pardon the pun. It has to be the fact that we haven't got anywhere for 3 seasons now, who wants to pay £400 to go watch a mid table team? And I don't know how the board can justify raising prices when we aren't performing very well if you'll pardon the pun, if that's not twisted logic I don't know what is.

Smelt the hummus...makes me laugh every time...

[size=4]I don't think you saw my first post man.[/size]

[size=4]"We've been crap for the last 4 seasons and attendances have shown that. Money is obviously another issue, but if we were in the Prem, we'd be sold out week-in week-out. Goes to show who the loyal fans are."[/size]

[size=4]Basically saying, that if we were in the prem we'd be sold out now, but cause we're in the Championship, we aren't selling out. Even last season, we sold what, 32,000 first game of the season? Opening game this season? 27,000-6,000 away. where are those 10,000 fans that never turned up this time around? I mean, a[/size]re you loyal if you only watch Derby when they're in the Prem? Imo, no.

Maybe I am wrong. I'm certainly not saying you're not a fan, I'm just saying people who can be considered 'glory hunters', are not loyal fans. And I don't understand how that could insult anybody. I mean if you're making the decision not to watch derby, based on who they're playing, then you're not loyal. Simple as that really.

[size=4]Also, I saw your other post. I didn't say your're not loyal if you can't afford it etc. The only reason I said people weren't loyal fans was if they acted like 'glory hunters'. Thus, not people like yourself. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />[/size]

Never thought I'd hear (some) Derby fans being accused of being Glory Hunters! If you've got the strength of character to support a club like Derby, even if you don't go to many matches, you'd never be a glory hunter in my eyes!

More than anything, the fact that individual ticket prices haven't fallen in line with the financial climate or ironically enough, demand is the reason why attendances are falling.

Buying a season ticket or a 6-12 game plan is great value for money if your circumstances allow it but otherwise it's an absolute minefield.

To buy an individual adult ticket, the average price is probably upwards of £25 and prices range anywhere between £10 and £35 and for the standard of football, it is not really justifiable. There is no value for money in such conquests.

It is a sign of times though. Attendances are falling pretty much everywhere and perhaps it has taken us longer to feel the impact. I think we'll still be amongst the most well-supported clubs in the division. An average of 22,000 is nothing to be sniffed at in the current climate.

You could attribute it to the current regime who have overseen quite an uninspiring time at the club but that's hardly a new phenomenon at Derby County is it.

No doubt a select few are staying away because of the current regime and a perceived lack of ambition, but the club don't give even the most disenfranchised or disinterested of fans any incentive to return with their pricing infrastructure. Because no doubt they'll be thinking 'it's a new season, maybe things will be different, let's pop along to the first game of the season' but then they see the prices and think twice.

I don't think it's a question of loyalty, it's a question of circumstances and I wouldn't consider anyone less of a fan for spending their money elsewhere.

What I worry about as much as the price of tickets is the age of people who go to games.

Look around at Pride Park - how many teenagers do you see? And how many middle-aged men do you see?

A massive proportion of our fanbase is 30+ year olds whose loyalty has been built on the Clough era or Jim Smith days. Their income has grown since then as the country has got richer and their demand for tickets has pushed the price up.

Then you have the people like me who support Derby because their parents were around back then.

But how many young people go to Pride Park because it's something to do on a Saturday? How often do you see a group of lads under 20 all going to the game together? It's worryingly low. I know so few people who go to the football at all, let alone have a season ticket. They all watch it on Sky, or even just MoTD.

Don't worry about attendances now. They'll fluctuate between 20,000-30,000 throughout the 2010s. Worry about attendances in the 2020s when the majority of our fan base will be too old or too poor to keep going to the football. And it's not just a problem for us, it will be all the clubs in England.

What I worry about as much as the price of tickets is the age of people who go to games.

Look around at Pride Park - how many teenagers do you see? And how many middle-aged men do you see?

A massive proportion of our fanbase is 30+ year olds whose loyalty has been built on the Clough era or Jim Smith days. Their income has grown since then as the country has got richer and their demand for tickets has pushed the price up.

Then you have the people like me who support Derby because their parents were around back then.

But how many young people go to Pride Park because it's something to do on a Saturday? How often do you see a group of lads under 20 all going to the game together? It's worryingly low. I know so few people who go to the football at all, let alone have a season ticket. They all watch it on Sky, or even just MoTD.

Don't worry about attendances now. They'll fluctuate between 20,000-30,000 throughout the 2010s. Worry about attendances in the 2020s when the majority of our fan base will be too old or too poor to keep going to the football. And it's not just a problem for us, it will be all the clubs in England.

I think this is a good point. I think the club are aware of it also, hence the ticket give-aways.

My kids are still toddlers essentially, so I don't really know but how many 14 or 15-year-olds have the sort of money it costs for a match ticket, let alone the commitment of a season ticket? Who's going to commit to the ordinariness the club espouses when they can get a half bottle of vodka and go to the park for a fraction of the price?

Mediocrity comes in many forms. Some are cheaper than others.

Tickets for the SE corner are £10 so if that doesn't tempt you then you aren't really that interested in going at any price.

I went to watch lincoln and that cost £15 so - in the context of the above offer - the supposed excessive cost / standard of football argument doesn't stand up either.

Yea if you buy really early or game plans it's cheap enough but it's not just price anymore the world doesn't work Monday to Friday anymore, since I left school I've always wanted a season ticket was first thing I wanted to buy but then you relise the shitty jobs you get when you leave school almost can garentee make you work weekends so you can afford em but can't get to the games

Archived