Attendances

davenportram

Its the lack of atmosphere.

It doesnt really matter if we win or lose, we're going to pick up enough points to avoid relegation, and we're not going to get promoted (we all know with this squad we'd get hammered every week if we did fluke a promotion anyway). So everyone sits there twiddling their thumbs and have a little groan when the opposition scores, wave their arms about a bit when we score (then sit down and go back to playing on the phone as soon as the goal music ends). There's no passion anymore, it doesn't seem to matter if we lose at home to Boro or Burnley (we can always use the wagebill excuse to justify why we lost), if you moan about shipping 5 goals at home to someone like Ssausagehorpe people tell you to stop being a drama queen. The problem for us oldies is we remember when it did used to matter, it was more important than life or death as Shanks once said, we used to celebrate winning a corner as if we'd wom the F.A. Cup. remember the Forest game last season? That's how it should be, it shouldnt be like going to the pictures, sitting in silence watching the entertainment, you might as well go and watch a netball match.

It doesnt matter anymore, shame really.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that strictly true? Matchday tickets are always charged at a premium. You can get some good bargains if you look hard enough.

Who has the time to do that? Buying a ticket for DCFC has now become more of an ordeal than purchasing a rail ticket. Total lottery.

I don't like any of these schemes, its all ********, exactly like the railways with all their bulls**t complicated tickets - back in the real world the product is still severley overpriced and the system confusing to the average person. Genuine lowering of prices and a simple system would encourage more fans in but would it increase revenue? Arguably not as they'd probably have already done it, football is so obviously about milking those that do go and will go for as much as they can get away with. Otherwise we'd have full houses with everyone paying a tenner.

As for our attendances, whilst I accept the financial climate is as poor as ever, the people I speak to who no longer go really have lost almost all interest. The noises coming out the club are pathetically uninspiring these days. I bothered this year purely because I knew I'd be in the midlands for the majority of the season, had my situation meant I was even slightly put out by the fixtures I wouldn't have bothered. I've already decided I'm probably not going to renew next year, I'd rather spend time with my kid(s).

^

See what I mean?

No problem with your reasons SillyBilly but that's exactly attendances are down.

Fans that normally try to get season tickets stop trying if they feel they are only missing out on another season of 15th. They stop inconveniencing (is that a word?) themselves. Usually they might sit in traffic each way losing an entire Saturday for football. Or they'll accept missing 5-10 games through work.

Now they figure just to pick and choose matches around their lives.

If we were a Cardiff (fighting play offs every year) you watch how little effect the economy has on attendances then. People would find the money. Find a babysitter. Try and swap shifts etc.

It started with away attendances. People thought of better ways to spend Saturdays and their money than watch Derby scrap a 2-0 defeat away. Then even more people lost the buzz because their mate did. And so on.

Away first

Now at home.

People are bored and are just doing things now that used to come second to matchday Saturday.

I'll go to whatever we can afford. But I can't knock those who are bored and are choosing to stay away for a bit. It is boring.

And there's goal music

And no atmosphere.

Who has the time to do that? Buying a ticket for DCFC has now become more of an ordeal than purchasing a rail ticket. Total lottery.

Not many people it seems from looking at the attendances.

I completely agree with having a simple ticketing system, after all we're paying for the privilege. However, there are savings to be made, they are promoted on a weekly basis on the official site:

[url=http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/digonex-deal-of-the-week-190912-378135.aspx]http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/digonex-deal-of-the-week-190912-378135.aspx

The problem I see is the last minute fans who come to a game on a whim. Pay on the day prices are shocking and are a huge deterrent. No ticket should be priced above £25 in my opinion. However, I feel we are clutching at straws, at the end of the day if performances improve, attendances should rise.

Not many people it seems from looking at the attendances.

I completely agree with having a simple ticketing system, after all we're paying for the privilege. However, there are savings to be made, they are promoted on a weekly basis on the official site:

[url=http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/digonex-deal-of-the-week-190912-378135.aspx]http://www.dcfc.co.u...912-378135.aspx

The problem I see is the last minute fans who come to a game on a whim. Pay on the day prices are shocking and are a huge deterrent. No ticket should be priced above £25 in my opinion. However, I feel we are clutching at straws, at the end of the day if performances improve, attendances should rise.

Agreed. Out of principle I wouldn't pay on-the-day ticket prices. I don't buy food at the cinema (not that I go anyway these days), I don't pay to take a leak at a train station for 20p and I wouldn't pay the rip off ticket prices. Its called getting value-for-money, if I don't think I'm getting it I won't go, it applies to anything in my life regardless of how much I've got or not got in my pocket. Give the fans a sensible ticket price and they'd come back. Problem is the whole of football has gone mad on wages so it could never happen.

I think the major issue is sheer apathy. By way of example I live in Oxford and used to think nothing of travelling home and away to watch the team, either with my mate or alone, even during the worst of the Maxwell / Three Amigos eras. Its a 230 mile round trip for us but I used to look forward to any game I went to. If I couldn't make it I listened on the radio or Ramsplayer and discussed it afterwards with my mate - I lived and breathed it. Trouble is, the lack of ambition and progress at the club has sapped the enthusiasm out of me over the last few years. Its the same old, same old every season now; we know that we don't have a squad good enough to get promoted and that we won't get relegated. The Burnley result at the weekend passed me by almost without registering - my mate and I didn't even bother exchanging texts during and after the game as we once would have done. The last time I went to Pride Park was to the corresponding fixture last season - we lost that 2-1 as well. Its like Groundhog day.

The ticket prices are too much in the current economic climate for the standard of football on offer and these days I can think of more important things to spend my much reduced money on. I hate feeling like this but the reality is that there are lots of Rams fans like me who are drifting away - I just hope the club take notice of this.

I had a season ticket with my dad from when I was about 9. My dads not a massive Football fan, but 11 years ago the prices weren't too bad and it meant we could do the whole father son saturday afternoon at the match thing. As expected my ticket got more expensive as I got older, but so did my dads, eventually it got too much (didn't renew last year).

In the last season we had season tickets we were both at the stage where it felt like a chore to go and watch another dissapointing performance with no atmosphere what so ever. Not renewing saved us a huge amount of money. I still get to some of the games but I'm not forking out a stack of money to watch us play the likes of Burnley, I want to go to the games where there's a great atmosphere not some clapping and ***** music.

I think the major issue is sheer apathy. By way of example I live in Oxford and used to think nothing of travelling home and away to watch the team, either with my mate or alone, even during the worst of the Maxwell / Three Amigos eras. Its a 230 mile round trip for us but I used to look forward to any game I went to. If I couldn't make it I listened on the radio or Ramsplayer and discussed it afterwards with my mate - I lived and breathed it. Trouble is, the lack of ambition and progress at the club has sapped the enthusiasm out of me over the last few years. Its the same old, same old every season now; we know that we don't have a squad good enough to get promoted and that we won't get relegated. The Burnley result at the weekend passed me by almost without registering - my mate and I didn't even bother exchanging texts during and after the game as we once would have done. The last time I went to Pride Park was to the corresponding fixture last season - we lost that 2-1 as well. Its like Groundhog day.

The ticket prices are too much in the current economic climate for the standard of football on offer and these days I can think of more important things to spend my much reduced money on. I hate feeling like this but the reality is that there are lots of Rams fans like me who are drifting away - I just hope the club take notice of this.

Seems like a recurring theme, but I don't personally think it's the standard of football, if anything todays footballers are technically much better and fitter than when I was younger (although a lot of the individual skill has been coached out, you wouldnt get a Charlie George nowadays).

My mrs never knew why I went to football, she'd say it was just a load of blokes kicking a ball around, she didn't understand what it was like being in the crowd on the Ozzie end, but now that's all gone it has been reduced to watching a film at the pictures. The reason its considered expensive now is because you get nothing out of it, a couple of drinks with your mates or family and that's it.

Seems like a recurring theme, but I don't personally think it's the standard of football, if anything todays footballers are technically much better and fitter than when I was younger (although a lot of the individual skill has been coached out, you wouldnt get a Charlie George nowadays).

My mrs never knew why I went to football, she'd say it was just a load of blokes kicking a ball around, she didn't understand what it was like being in the crowd on the Ozzie end, but now that's all gone it has been reduced to watching a film at the pictures. The reason its considered expensive now is because you get nothing out of it, a couple of drinks with your mates or family and that's it.

To be honest I think I'm less enthusiastic about football generally. I don't get half as worked up about England when they play in major tournaments as I used to, don't watch any Premier League or Champions League football at all, and only watch The Football League show if we win.

I miss the old days. The excitement I felt seeing the BBG for the first time in 1982, watching us knock Forest out of the FA Cup in 1983, when the FA Cup was actually still a big deal, being on the Popside with thousands, being disappointed with a 2-2 home draw against Man Utd in the Baiano/Wanchope days at PP. Those days seem like a thousand years ago now. Football just doesn't offer the same buzz to me.

A lot of thats to do with the money, unless you've got a rich billionaire owner then there is absolutely no chance of ever recreating that excitement again, and even then, like Man City the achievement is belittled because you've 'bought the title'.

Like i say, even if we did go up, we'd get hammered every week, and we'd just end up in the same boat the following season, or we'd somehow stay up and end up like Fulham for a couple of seasons before spiralling again. It's that lack of hope thats gradually strangling football.

Also the overkill from sky has obviously a lot to do with it. I haveso little interest in the Prem now I couldn't even name ten players and tell you who they play for. I couldn't tell you who won the FA cup last season, that's terrible for someone who used to eat, drink and sleep football.

a bit awkward seeing as now we're playing some great football.....

So good we are 20th 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> .

We are plying slighly better football but I wouldnt quite call it great.

People who I know are generally not going after years of no investment in the team, the fans are putting money in yet the owners keep cutting costs. The football for the last 4 years has been pretty dreadfull and people have had enough. People havent as much spare cash. People seem to either love Clough or really dislike him and wont go until he leaves, (well I know about 5 people of that attitude)

Archived