Badge Man tribute v Forest on 6 mins live on SKY

therams69

I'm sure the Badge Man was a lovely gentleman and a loyal Derby County fan. I never met him or came across him to be particularly touched by his death. His passing is very tragic nonetheless and it is fantastic that a tribute was paid to him during the Huddersfield and Charlton games.

But would any other Derby fan receive not one but three tributes and all this media attention to boot? I appreciate he was a popular figure but scores of people associated with the club will have passed away over the years without the same recognition and were no less deserving.

We've had the opportunity to pay tribute to the man and done him proud. Why muddy the waters with what looks like nothing more than a shameless publicity stunt and using a tragedy as a vehicle to strengthen an altogether different cause: proving to Nottingham Forest and the watching world we have amazing supporters? In my mind, we have nothing to prove.

Would this be happening if we were playing Crystal Palace and the Sky cameras were nowhere to be seen?

No disrespect intended it's a lovely gesture but that's just the way it comes across.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please no more about the badge man. With greatest respect to him ex players have died recently with less being made of it. It's starting to get embarrassing TBH

What a horrible thing to say.

Yeah, players. Players who were paid to play football for a few games or so. And when they do die, they get a minute's silence and reports in the media.

But the badge man PAID to watch Derby play for many, many years. Without people like him, there is no Derby. Fans are more important than players.

Still going to Derby games at the age of 86. Admirable. A Derby fan who was alive when we won the FA Cup - they're a dying breed, you know.

How horrible to read that a fan gave a life to the Rams, to be told that a minute's applause and the odd report in a local newspaper is "embarassing".

Shocked to see that. I really am.

Would this be happening if we were playing Crystal Palace and the Sky cameras were nowhere to be seen?

Probably not, but this is a tribute, not a private funeral. The louder the better.

Dunno how old you are - probably in your 20s I'd say.

If you were an iconic fan and were still going to matches home and away to your dying day in the 2060s - wouldn't you prefer to be remembered at a game against Forest with the opportunity of being on television? Or would you rather wait for us to play Palace in midweek?

I'm disgusted by some of you. Douglas supported Derby for 80 yrs. He must have seen so many ups and downs in his time. If only he wrote a book of his memories.

I am proud that a fantastic tribute is being paid to him at Forest. He deserves every second of it. I'm sure he will be smiling down on our fans that day.

It's not about proving our fans are the best. It's about paying tribute to a supporter that every single club in the country would have been proud to have as there own

R.I.P. Douglas Else aka The Badgeman

Please no more about the badge man. With greatest respect to him ex players have died recently with less being made of it. It's starting to get embarrassing TBH

Um....we never had any official tribute for les green....that was a bit poor.

hopefully his family will know that derby fans of that era still remember him with much affection.

Appreciate that you may think this is the right thing to do, however I personally would think twice about doing this against Florist.

Given some of the songs that happened during the last match and the arguments that followed, I can see some people getting upset by the reaction of their fans, hope Im wrong.

Probably not, but this is a tribute, not a private funeral. The louder the better.

Dunno how old you are - probably in your 20s I'd say.

If you were an iconic fan and were still going to matches home and away to your dying day in the 2060s - wouldn't you prefer to be remembered at a game against Forest with the opportunity of being on television? Or would you rather wait for us to play Palace in midweek?

I'd be surprised if I was remembered at all to be honest. But to me it wouldn't matter if it was Forest on television or against Aldershot in the Capital One Cup, it'd still be a great honour to be recognised by your club in such a way.

I don't envisage the Badge Man gave his loyal support over the years so people could put him on a pedestal. The beauty of being a football fan is that we are all equals and all things being equal, is it right that he receives three separate tributes where other people associated with the club received much less sometimes nothing at all?

I'd be surprised if I was remembered at all to be honest. But to me it wouldn't matter if it was Forest on television or against Aldershot in the Capital One Cup, it'd still be a great honour to be recognised by your club in such a way.

I don't envisage the Badge Man gave his loyal support over the years so people could put him on a pedestal. The beauty of being a football fan is that we are all equals and all things being equal, is it right that he receives three separate tributes where other people associated with the club received much less sometimes nothing at all?

Who at the club gave what he gave? Can you name anyone? If anyone ever said "name a Derby County fan", he would be right up there near the top of the list. He'd been going to games for 80 years. We don't have many tributes for fans like that because we don't have many fans like that. You would be remembered like that if you became such an iconic fan.

I don't go to many away games and sometimes miss home games despite my season ticket. I accept that I am not equal to Nick. Or the Badge Man. Or his son. Or the few hundred people who give up so much time and a massive proportion of their income just to give our players a bit of vocal support.

Of course you would like a tribute at whatever game - but if I went to most games, home and away, from now until the year 2080 - when I will be his age - I think it would be amazing to have a tribute at Nottingham Forest.

Isn't life a bit empty if you put that much in to something that doesn't want to remember you? There are just so few fans that put as much in to Derby as him.

Who at the club gave what he gave? Can you name anyone? If anyone ever said "name a Derby County fan", he would be right up there near the top of the list. He'd been going to games for 80 years. We don't have many tributes for fans like that because we don't have many fans like that. You would be remembered like that if you became such an iconic fan.

I don't go to many away games and sometimes miss home games despite my season ticket. I accept that I am not equal to Nick. Or the Badge Man. Or his son. Or the few hundred people who give up so much time and a massive proportion of their income just to give our players a bit of vocal support.

Of course you would like a tribute at whatever game - but if I went to most games, home and away, from now until the year 2080 - when I will be his age - I think it would be amazing to have a tribute at Nottingham Forest.

Isn't life a bit empty if you put that much in to something that doesn't want to remember you? There are just so few fans that put as much in to Derby as him.

It's all relative to circumstances though isn't it. I don't dispute the fact that he was a loyal supporter of the club but so are many others.

I don't know personally any Derby fans outside of my immediate family and friends but in my eyes, whether you've been to one game or one hundred, been going for 80 years or 8 minutes, travelled 4,000 miles or just 400m to get to the game, we're all equal and we all go because we love the club. It shouldn't be turned into a contest.

I don't think there is anything wrong with showing respect to the gentleman and that has been fully and fittingly observed in the previous two games and no doubt too for the Forest game. It's great but will everyone get the same treatment?

It's all relative to circumstances though isn't it. I don't dispute the fact that he was a loyal supporter of the club but so are many others.

I don't know personally any Derby fans outside of my immediate family and friends but in my eyes, whether you've been to one game or one hundred, been going for 80 years or 8 minutes, travelled 4,000 miles or just 400m to get to the game, we're all equal and we all go because we love the club. It shouldn't be turned into a contest.

I don't think there is anything wrong with showing respect to the gentleman and that has been fully and fittingly observed in the previous two games and no doubt too for the Forest game. It's great but will everyone get the same treatment?

You're confusing equality with treating everybody the same.

Is it the same system with players too? When Andrejs Pereplotkins dies, should we hold a minute's silence and have the players wear black armbands? If not, why is every single fan equal but not every single player? Surely whether you played 1 minute or your whole career with Derby, you're still a Derby player.

It's not a contest, and no one is saying that it is. But surely at Derby County we should always make a tribute to those who played a major part in it. Players, managers, fans, whoever.

I don't know why we want to debate this. A chance to celebrate a man who supported the Rams through thick and thin, and was a link with the FA Cup winning side, and whose life overlapped with Steve Bloomer's. What are you trying to prove here? That we shouldn't remember him or make a tribute because we don't do it for every fan who dies?

I like the fact that the supporters are recognising his passing as he was an iconic character / fan only ever spoke to the chap once & he was really nice always had the time for anyone that wanted to speak to him.

But I do also think that if were playing birmingham that weekend instead of forest on TV it perhaps wouldn't have been happening & some will see this nothing more than a self gratifying stunt to 'get one over' on forest, which unfortunately due to the actions / chants of some fans last year RE; Doughty will more than likely provoke similar chants from the home fans as retaliation which will cause a massive amount of bad blood once again.

It's not a contest, and no one is saying that it is. But surely at Derby County we should always make a tribute to those who played a major part in it. Players, managers, fans, whoever.

I don't know why we want to debate this. A chance to celebrate a man who supported the Rams through thick and thin, and was a link with the FA Cup winning side, and whose life overlapped with Steve Bloomer's. What are you trying to prove here? That we shouldn't remember him or make a tribute because we don't do it for every fan who dies?

And haven't the fans and the club done exactly that in the previous two games?

I'm not trying to prove anything. I think it's fantastic to pay tribute to a supporter who has passed away and it was great that happened during the Charlton and Huddersfield games.

But I don't quite understand the reasons behind doing yet another tribute when other fans no less deserving probably haven't and will not get the same treatment. It's just my personal view.

That doesn't mean I won't fully get behind the tribute on the day, because I will.

Nick massive respect for what you do mate but I don't think you'll ever please anyone like I said its a great gesture for a top bloke but there is always people that are going to question it & I also think its going to provoke a rather unsavory reaction from some of the home crowd (theres always going to be some idiots booze fueled / lack of brain cells) that will try to spoil it

Archived