Nigel's Happy - No Loans

Day

NIGEL Clough says Derby County's squad is stronger than it was 12 months ago.

Conor Sammon, Richard Keogh, Paul Coutts, James O'Connor and Michael Jacobs have been signed this summer.

Promising young players Valentin Gjokaj, Kieron Freeman and Michael Hoganson have also been added.

The transfer window closed at the end of August and now the window for emergency loans is open but Clough is "very happy" with his squad.

"We are and we are delighted with the options we have got within the squad," said the Rams manager.

"As long as everyone stays fit, we will go with what we have got for now.

"We think the squad has improved but we will not know that until we have played 40-odd games.

"We think we have added some good players. We are pleased with the quality of the players and certainly the character of them as well.

"To get Conor (Sammon) in before the window closed was the big one for us.

"We said from the end of last season, and even from March or April, that we needed a striker. Conor has come in and we hope he fits the bill.

"We also needed a wide midfield player to replace Paul Green and a centre half to replace Jason Shackell, and we got Paul Coutts and Richard Keogh and a young player in Michael Jacobs.

"And then there is James O'Connor, who has stepped in and been magnificent."

Midfielders Ben Davies and James Bailey and defender Tom Naylor are still available to go out and Clough thinks the emergency loan market might hot up next week.

"We are carrying two or three players over and above probably what we need at the moment," said Clough.

"The window for emergency loans is open again and we will see if there is any interest in those players.

"It is just about them getting some games because we are covered in those positions at the moment and the team have played well. So, it is going to be difficult for them to work their way in.

"We have had a couple of calls about the players but nothing definite.

"Clubs are probably thinking about the 93 days, the maximum for an emergency loan, because if you take a player on loan now, they will miss the last three games in December.

"If they wait a little longer, they could have the players on loan until January 1, which would allow them to play in the Christmas matches."

Notts County are keen to take Davies back to Meadow Lane and Clough remains surprised that there has not been more interest in Bailey.

"I am, given James passing ability," said Clough.

"We keep emphasising that he has done nothing wrong. It is just that Jeff Hendrick, Will Hughes, Craig Bryson and Paul Coutts are doing very well."

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-16893184-detail/story.html?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a fan of loans unless it's decent youngsters eager for first team experience and we already have plenty of that calibre on the books.

It's great to see our homegrown youngsters given their chance and not at the expenses of older loanees whose hearts are'nt really into it

I think people are making more of the Bailey thing than they actually need to.

I believe Clough. The midfield has been good this season. We showed against Watford and in the 1st half against Wednesday that our range of passing is, when we're on form, really good from the middle of the pitch.

I'm surprised he's not keen to keep him as back up, but who knows what's happening behind the scenes. Maybe Bailey has said he'd rather go out on loan and be playing games. You can't force someone to stay sat on the bench and expect them to positively contribute when they're needed.

I think people are making more of the Bailey thing than they actually need to.

I believe Clough. The midfield has been good this season. We showed against Watford and in the 1st half against Wednesday that our range of passing is, when we're on form, really good from the middle of the pitch.

I'm surprised he's not keen to keep him as back up, but who knows what's happening behind the scenes. Maybe Bailey has said he'd rather go out on loan and be playing games. You can't force someone to stay sat on the bench and expect them to positively contribute when they're needed.

Someone I know was at a DCFC event earlier this year and Bailey said he was disappointed not to be back in the side after losing his place through injury, and he just wanted to play. (Didn't mention anything about going on loan though).

Would be a good idea to get him playing because he could still do a very good job for us if Bryson or Hendrick get injured.

If Bryson or Hendrick are out you can move Coutts or Hughes into the middle and introduce Theo up top and move Ward back or keep Ward up there and stick Tyson on the wing - or vice versa.

The point being, Nigel has a few decent strikers he'd want to keep now but all bad Sammon and Theo can play behind the striker or on the wing.

Hughes is a CM really anyway and Coutts can/has played there, so I can see why we're happy with the squad as is. I am actually.

Wouldn't mind Bailey to be around but beggars cannae be choosers.

Agree wi' t'gaffer. Wouldn't consider a loan unless we got a month or more injury in midfield.

He probably thinks that the next batch of good young lower league ex-captain and/or POTY signings can be bought with money from selling Bailey and maybe Tyson. IMO.

Archived