Overrated films

AmericanRam

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All films that feel compelled to stick in a few brief moments of obligatory shagging. You get Sci fi films with it in. Can't they make a film without sex scenes for a change? We're not all pervs. If I want that kind of stuff I'll get a grot flick. I don't as it happens so I don't want to see it in every frigging film known to man!!

Oh and Star Wars in response to OP. The amazing thing about it is?

8 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

Going along with sage and his thread, which films in your opinion are highly overrated?

Avatar-Great graphics yes, but I felt the story, characters, etc sucked.

What you on about? I thought it was great, i watched it on a long haul flight a few years back and it caused me to have the best sleep ive had a plane ever :)

7 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

All films that feel compelled to stick in a few brief moments of obligatory shagging. You get Sci fi films with it in. Can't they make a film without sex scenes for a change? We're not all pervs. If I want that kind of stuff I'll get a grot flick. I don't as it happens so I don't want to see it in every frigging film known to man!!

Oh and Star Wars in response to OP. The amazing thing about it is?

I know what you mean, that erotic sex scene in ET was totally uncalled for :)

But seriously yeah i do get what you mean, i think its often done for the shock factor, take basic instinct and the famous uncrossing of the legs scene, was it required for the story? No, but it shocked, created news and probably added millions to the box office.

Sex does sell its a fact of life. Sometimes it is in context but does often feel shoe horned (horned :) ) in for the sake of it.

One example i think of is the Highlander films, they all had a sex scene in and I cannot think for a minute what it added to the story.

Talking of films with lots of sex and nudity in, i always remember when i was about 19 i had started dating a girl, and she stayed at my house, i was still living at home, she had bought a couple of films with her she had been lent, and for some reason im not sure of we watched one of these with my mum and dad, it was called the pit and the pendulum ( a newer version not the old one), well back then there was no internet or anything so i didnt really know what it was about....loads of sex and nudity (or thats how it seemed back then, though it is probably tame now), i have never felt so uncomfortable, i think everyone was the same, no one spoke or anything or looked at each other, never been so happy a film was over lol.

35 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I know what you mean, that erotic sex scene in ET was totally uncalled for :)

But seriously yeah i do get what you mean, i think its often done for the shock factor, take basic instinct and the famous uncrossing of the legs scene, was it required for the story? No, but it shocked, created news and probably added millions to the box office.

Sex does sell its a fact of life. Sometimes it is in context but does often feel shoe horned (horned :) ) in for the sake of it.

One example i think of is the Highlander films, they all had a sex scene in and I cannot think for a minute what it added to the story.

Talking of films with lots of sex and nudity in, i always remember when i was about 19 i had started dating a girl, and she stayed at my house, i was still living at home, she had bought a couple of films with her she had been lent, and for some reason im not sure of we watched one of these with my mum and dad, it was called the pit and the pendulum ( a newer version not the old one), well back then there was no internet or anything so i didnt really know what it was about....loads of sex and nudity (or thats how it seemed back then, though it is probably tame now), i have never felt so uncomfortable, i think everyone was the same, no one spoke or anything or looked at each other, never been so happy a film was over lol.

So what' this girls name?  She sounds...... interesting :ph34r:

A lot of proper film fans would want to kill me for saying this but most of Kubrik's films bore me to tears.  2001, Barry Lyndon, Eyes Wide Shut, Clockwork Orange, Sparticus, they all send me to sleep.  The two exceptions are The Shining & Full Metal Jacket.

The Sixth Sense,  Talk about over hyping a film.  Blah, by the time the kid had uttered "I see dead people" i was already wanting to flip the channel and i should have because what followed was a major disappointment, full of clichés and cheap Hollywood emotional string pulling, 

i guess there's something about numbers i don't like.

Seven is probably the worst film i have ever seen.  Critics described it as the dawning of a new era of suspense films, a masterfully crafted film with superb acting, but it really pissed me off.  Nothing new here, fine actors with a horrible script and a useless director who thinks he's Hitchcock.  It would have been tolerable i guess if not for one fatal flaw, it takes itself seriously while in no way being believable.

I tried to watch Inception last week, having been told at the time how great it was, and then forgetting to ever watch it.

Got about an hour in and was so bored I looked it up on Wikipedia, read the rest of the plot and then turned it off and did something more interesting (the ironing maybe?)

Di Caprio is probablty one of the most over-rated actors going too

Well if Mozza has gone there and I'm kicking myself for totally forgetting these but every single James Bond film. The lot. 

Especially the one where he shocked his own heart in the car. If I had popcorn I would have stuck the bucket on my head and went to sleep.

Think people love the character so much they are blinded by how awful the films are. 

Just now, David said:

Well if Mozza has gone there and I'm kicking myself for totally forgetting these but every single James Bond film. The lot. 

Especially the one where he shocked his own heart in the car. If I had popcorn I would have stuck the bucket on my head and went to sleep.

Think people love the character so much they are blinded by how awful the films are. 

I think the older ones are ok but the new ones with Daniel Craig are just embarrassing. He's never even looked like a bond or have the aura of a bond. Wrong choice for me but again I'm not a bond fan either.

I know Alan Partridge is because he held a bondathon once. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Ronin

Taken (all ov em!)

Star Wars

Star Trek

Jurassic Park

Star Trek Beyond was utter pants, into Darkness was alright, Star Trek loved it.

Wouldnt say they were hugely rated anywhere though 

13 minutes ago, David said:

Star Trek Beyond was utter pants, into Darkness was alright, Star Trek loved it.

Wouldnt say they were hugely rated anywhere though 

Thats odd i preferered beyond, star trek was ok and into darkness pants.

16 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Thats odd i preferered beyond, star trek was ok and into darkness pants.

Agreed Into Darkness was utter sh** compared to Wrath Oh Khan, which it was shamefully riffing on, and ripping off.  I like Beyond, but out of the Kelvin Universe films, the first is still the best...

Archived