Wider and longer pitch .Next season

At the last match my mates and I were told by our local friendly pitch side steward that the half time grounds men had told him the pitch was to be dug up the next day and removed. With a longer ,wider one relayed to replace it . Could this have anything to do with a new manager,new style of play ?. Anyone else heard anything?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we drove past the iPro the other day on the way to the railway station the Memsahib noticed huge amounts of sand/stuff being deposited on the car park. I wondered whether this was anything to do with the new pitch (which I had heard would be semi-artificial and of a revolutionary world-best design)

Derby County signs multi-million pound deal for six SISGRASS pitches

Derby County is set to install a part artificial pitch in its home ground - the same surface that will be used for the 2018 World Cup final.

The Championship team has signed a multi-million pound deal with Cumbria-based Sis Pitches to install six SISGRASS pitches at its iPro Stadium and Moor Farm training facility.

Paul Clement, the former Derby County head coach, recommended the pitch to the club's board after testing the surface at St George's Park - England's National Football Centre in Burton-on-Trent.

"This kind of pitch allows us to play the football style we want and has a very even roll and bounce. It has the 'give' we are looking for and meets all of our requirements," said Clement, who left his post yesterday (8 February).

Derby will wait to install the pitch until the end of the 2015/16 season, although work on the training facilities are scheduled to start in the spring.

SISGRASS is reinforced natural grass which is made up of 95 per cent natural turf injected by synthetic yarn which acts as the "anchor point for the natural grass root". For this project more than 150 miles of synthetic yarn will be injected into the pitches.

The surface will be used at Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow for the 2018 World Cup final - the first time the showpiece game will be played on anything but 100 per cent natural turf.

John Vicars, chief operating officer for Derby County FC said: "We want the best quality surfaces right the way across the club and in SISGRASS we have chosen what we believe to be the highest level of innovative reinforced natural turf.

"The club trialled the SISGRASS pitches recently at St George's Park and the quality was particularly impressive. The coaching staff and players felt comfortable on it and that is extremely important for us."

For the original article, visit www.sportsmanagement.co.uk.

Like this article?

Share & Support the Turfcare Industry.

Want to post a comment in response to this article? 

Login or Register for free if you are not a Pitchcare member.

This article was written

by Matthew Campelli in Synthetics, and Football on 9 Feb 2016

51 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Dig a whole pitch up instead of repainting the lines a few feet away?

Sounds a bit like the sketch in Porridge where Fletch tells McKay where they've put all the soil from the escape tunnel.

'we dug another tunnel and put it in there'

apart from the fact it gets dug up and re laid every season.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

When we drove past the iPro the other day on the way to the railway station the Memsahib noticed huge amounts of sand/stuff being deposited on the car park. I wondered whether this was anything to do with the new pitch (which I had heard would be semi-artificial and of a revolutionary world-best design)

I think all the sand is to recreate the playing surface from the BBG from the 70's we will piss the league next season now. 

56 minutes ago, Chilwellram said:

A PART artificial pitch the same as the one that will be used for the 2018 World Cup final in Moscow is to be installed by Derby County at the end of this season.

So I guess it's a Partificial Pitch, then? ;) 

Archived