The Olympics Thread

-JW-

Can't remember who the guys were playing but it was the gals from USA v Spain. One of the 'mericans got sinned for elbowing and when she came back on she just swam over her. I thought she'd bloody drowned

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lochte perhaps not getting enough credit?

Phelps overshadowing him a bit? Lochte built a massive lead in the relay and barely got a mention and he has been #1 here.

No, he's not is he, sadly.

Don't think he will until Phelps retires, but then again, Ian Thorpe is coming back to compete for the next couple of years (he says) so it might not be all plain sailing for him anyway.

No, he's not is he, sadly.

Don't think he will until Phelps retires, but then again, Ian Thorpe is coming back to compete for the next couple of years (he says) so it might not be all plain sailing for him anyway.

didn't Phelps say this would be his last Olympics?

didn't Phelps say this would be his last Olympics?

Yep, he's done after this one.

It's Thorpe himself who's said he's coming back.

Yep, he's done after this one.

It's Thorpe himself who's said he's coming back.

He's taking it year by year I think, said he's concentrating on the world championships next year for now and I presume he'll probably take it from there. Hope he does well, proper legend in the swimming world but he can't wear his famous scuba styled suit, they banned that kind of swim wear. Can anyone remember when there was a fad, I think from the Americans, of swimming the majority of the race underwater? They changed the law so you're only allowed a maximum of 15 meters. Should probably introduce some underwater racing, they were breaking world records in the butterfly. They might've done it for all strokes.

Congrats to the British dude in the breastroke (I hated breast), didn't let the leader get away and had it been a 205 meter event I reckon he could of taken him. Must of been close to breaking the old world record himself.

Velodrome starts tomorrow, sweet.

The GB teams making a few finals in the rowing this morning with confidence & ease. Finals are tomorrow I think.

We just dominate some events don't we? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Oh - and heres some news for all Wiggo fans - especially Swiss with his man crush 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> - he could be racing through the Derbyshire countryside next month.

From today's Telegraph -

He could be heading for Derbyshire in September when the Tour Of Britain route will take the riders through the County. His Sky team, managed by Ilkeston's Dave Brailsford, have been confirmed as being among the entries for the event, although the composition of the squad has not yet been confirmed.

The race will pass through Ilkeston, Coxbench, Little Eaton, Duffield, Turnditch & Ashbourne.

The week long race, which begins on Sunday, September 9th will see the cyclists cover more than 1,349km. Peter Hodges, spokesman for the Tour Of Britain, said it had not yet revealed wether Wiggins would be competing this time, as teams wait to confirm their riders.

The tour will pass through Derbyshire on Monday, September 10th, as part of stage 2 of the race, from Nottingham Castle to Knowsley, in Merseyside.

The cyclists are expected to pass through Ilkeston shortly before 10.30am, Coxbench at about 10.40am, Duffield at 10.50, Turnditch shortly after 11am and Ashsbourne at about 11.15am. Rolling road closures will be put in place.

Several other leading teams have already signed up for the race,including Liquigas-Cannondale, whose rider Vincenzo Nibali took third place in the Tour de France last month.

Other teams set to compete include Endura Racing, Team IG Sima Sport, Rapha Condor, Team Raleigh-GAC and Team UK Youth.

Archived