Do we actually need a striker?

trekkie_ram

I know we're on about strikers but it'd be great if Will Hughes could get a few goals, looking forward to seeing a bit more of him too next season.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think signing Coutts will at least allow Clough to be more patient in his pursuit of a striker as this will for sure free up Ward to play up front / just off the target man. Then as the "good loans" only become available towards the end of August we can wait and see how that is working out and who is available (at the right "price") that would really improve us. Though personally I am not a fan of loans but can see they can tide you over for a period until your new target (is available (for free!)) / young player has developed sufficiently.

We don't need a striker like we need a centre back. We definitely need one of them.

I'd like us to have a striker and without another one we can forget a top six finish. Not even saying we don't have the talent, but our squad is so thin some of our more talented strikers will often get sent out to the wing, and wingers may get put up front (Clough has already publicly flirted with the idea).

Goals/ appearances:

Jamie Ward - 9 in 50

Nathan Tyson - 0 in 23

Theo Robinson - 12 in 52

Callum Ball - 3 in 29

Mason Bennett - 0 in 9

So together our strikers have scored 24 in their combined 163 appearances for Derby.

Yes, we need a striker.

Yes, too much potential and not enough goals. I know working it out as an average may be unfair for a number of reasons (position/subsitutions etc.) but its 6.77 goals per season as an average for the lot. Derisory. I expect Mason to come good eventually and Ball is a prospect but its a big gamble. I'd expect a winger alone to grab 7 goals+ for a decent side.

How could I forget Conor Doyle's 0 in 19? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

The long and short of it is, we need someone to score goals. We know goals aren't going to come from midfield and with Davies leaving it puts a lot of pressure on the likes of Robinson, Ball and Bennett to hit the ground running. Tyson, for me, will never score goals at this level, he's just not composed enough. Sammon would be a great signing IMO.

Goals/ appearances:

Jamie Ward - 9 in 50

Nathan Tyson - 0 in 23

Theo Robinson - 12 in 52

Callum Ball - 3 in 29

Mason Bennett - 0 in 9

So together our strikers have scored 24 in their combined 163 appearances for Derby.

Yes, we need a striker.

I think there's a bit of double counting there as a lot of those appearances wil be as sub but yes we need a striker.

Goals/ appearances:

Jamie Ward - 9 in 50

Nathan Tyson - 0 in 23

Theo Robinson - 12 in 52

Callum Ball - 3 in 29

Mason Bennett - 0 in 9

Yes, we need a striker.

Football is about scoring more goals than the team you are playing against. That is the be all and end all of football.

6.77 goals per game between the strikeforce sounds disastrously poor, and you'd have thought we weren't a very good team.

Fortunately, the Football League collects data which I find far more useful, placing teams in order of how good they are at scoring more goals than the opposition. We're the 12th best team at doing that, showing that we're not too shabby at out-scoring the opposition.

Our strikeforce has not got any worse, but our defence just has. We need a CB. Improve our defence on last season, and we actually get even better at out-scoring the opposition, because we conceded a lot of goals late on.

We've not got a top 6 strikeforce, but we don't desperately need a new striker like we desperately need a new CB.

Callum Ball looks like he has lost a stone or two, last year he looked very sluggish and like he was carrying abit too much lard. If he gets a few chances in pre-season I can see him impressing, his mobility has been his main downfall. If he sorts that out then I believe we have a good young striker on our hands.

Subs & not all appearances playing up front, I pretty much just ignored your post to be honest, another case of 'stats can say what you want'.

Fair point, but you can't argue with Steve Davies scoring 10 league goals last season as a striker. Do you believe we can get by without replacing his goals? Who is going to step up? Jamie Ward hasn't scored double figures in the league since he was at Chesterfield in League One. Tyson hasn't scored 10 in the last three seasons combined. I wouldn't want to put that pressure on Ball and Bennett.

We've not got a top 6 strikeforce, but we don't desperately need a new striker like we desperately need a new CB.

I agree we need a CB, but when Davies leaves we're 10 goals short. Without Davies' goals last season we would have scored 40 league goals. I know it's hypothetical and you want to judge us on beating the team in front of us but we scored a pitiful amount of goals last season, the same number as Pompey. My point is, we need both.

I agree we need a CB, but when Davies leaves we're 10 goals short. Without Davies' goals last season we would have scored 40 league goals. I know it's hypothetical and you want to judge us on beating the team in front of us but we scored a pitiful amount of goals last season, the same number as Pompey. My point is, we need both.

You're turning football into a game of numbers, and that's not what it is. We wouldn't have scored 40 goals without Davies. We may have scored less than that, possibly more.

We don't know what playing Ward up front will be like now we don't have to play him wide, and we don't know how good the young players will be again next season. We may even play a formation which needs only one striker which works for us. We don't need a 20 goal striker, we need a striker that can make the team play and ideally, we need a player on the pitch to get 20 goals.

We can live without another striker and do just as well, is my point, and although we all want another one it's not the same kind of necessity as a CB. 3 isn't enough there.

Archived