Do we actually need a striker?

trekkie_ram

Nigel Clough has been saying for a few years that he wants a new striker, and we have missed out on a few (Connor Sammon & Chris Wood(?)). It's all that gets talked about on here, use the Shackell money on a top striker (I've probably said it too, but it feels more like a reflex than an idea I concur with).

We have on our books:

Jamie Ward - Jacobs plays on the left. I anticipate Ward playing up front this season (NC said it too).

Nathan Tyson - I have my fingers crossed that he stays injury free, and has a great season.

Theo Robinson - Love him or hate him, he works hard and makes things happen.

Callum Ball - Needs game time to improve, looked competent at this level, plenty of potential.

Mason Bennett - Touted by many as the next big thing, must play more this season.

*Steve Davies - Decent striker, probably won't be here.

Effectively what we had last year, take Steve Davies out and replace with Jamie Ward and it's the same number. Mason can travel to midweek away games without worrying about school. With the exception of Tyson they are all young, hungry players who are constantly improving.

My question in the thread title, do we actually need a striker? Where would he fit in. Yes I'd be very happy with Connor Sammon on loan, but we can only field so many players, how can Bennett & Ball develop if we have 6/7 strikers for 2 positions.

Would Nigel try to move on Theo or Tyson? Or perhaps let Ball go out on loan if we got a Sammon type player? We seem to have lots of options in midfield and attack, and on their day they can be great players.

Surely if we get one in, then we need to lose one?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theo could potentially get us our 20 goals but we need a player that holds the ball up well, I think the main reasons our midfield don't score enough is because of that. Ball isn't ready yet so we need somebody else instead of him so he can go out on loan. Ideally somebody good in the air if were going to play with 2 'proper' wingers.

But do we need to move someone on if we get a new Striker? (Other than S.Davies, who will almost certainly leave anyway).

Who would you move on? (I'm expecting Tyson's name to come up a lot, but would we sell him? Who would buy him?)

bennett will be better this season as he can train full time with the squad, ball is a year more experienced and will be there or there abouts, so in theory squad wise no

but if we want to push on and get closer to the play-offs then yes

it all depends if there is one avaliable that wants to come, if there isnt theres no point moaning about it

But do we need to move someone on if we get a new Striker? (Other than S.Davies, who will almost certainly leave anyway).

Who would you move on? (I'm expecting Tyson's name to come up a lot, but would we sell him? Who would buy him?)

Depending on whether Bailey goes or not and whether Coutts is considered a winger or centre mid. We only really have Jacobs and Ben Davies as wingers, Tyson and Ward will still probably play most of their games out on the wing rather than up front, but will obviously be back up as strikers too. That only really leaves Ball Davies and Theo. Ideally I think Ball needs experience at League one and Davies will probably go so I don't think anybody needs to go.

The list you have done there includes everybody who can play up front but in reality they're covering other positions too.

Its a bit soon for Bennett yet. We really do need a hold up player, Theo Ward and Tyson are all fairly similar we need a different option.

Depending on whether Bailey goes or not and whether Coutts is considered a winger or centre mid. We only really have Jacobs and Ben Davies as wingers, Tyson and Ward will still probably play most of their games out on the wing rather than up front, but will obviously be back up as strikers too. That only really leaves Ball Davies and Theo. Ideally I think Ball needs experience at League one and Davies will probably go so I don't think anybody needs to go.

The list you have done there includes everybody who can play up front but in reality they're covering other positions too.

Its a bit soon for Bennett yet. We really do need a hold up player, Theo Ward and Tyson are all fairly similar we need a different option.

Including Jamie Ward & Nathan Tyson as wingers also comes up with six wide men (Jacobs, Bavies, Hughes, Coutts). I would expect Coutts to play on the right, and if we are short of a central midfielder, I think Will Hughes is more likely to play there than Coutts. I also didn't count Connor Doyle as either striker nor winger, so make that seven options in both lists.

Maybe we do need a better striker for holding the ball, but we definitely don't lack numbers up front. We definitely need a new centre back at some point though, we're threadbare at the back, one injury and we run out of options, two injuries and we start playing midfielders in defense. A striker is a luxury, not a necessity, Connor Sammon would be ideal though.

I don't think Bennett will get many minutes next season in the first team, especially it we bring in a new CF. He'd have a new CF, Tyson, Ward and Robinson in front of him, so I'd rather him play week in, week out for the under 18's and play every 2 weeks mid week for the reserves, that should be enough to keep him progressing as well as training everyday, which Ball has had for the past 3 seasons. I'd send Ball out on loan to try and get him playing 30 odd games this season, he needs to be more aggressive with his attacking play, and that will only come with game time, which he won't get a lot of, and as he's too old for the under 18's, he'll only really have the reserves to play in.

Tyson - Try and get rid / back up

Robinson - Challenge for 1st team

Ward - Challenge for 1st team

New CF - Challenge for 1st team

Ball - Loan out

Bennett - Develop / Back up

Including Jamie Ward & Nathan Tyson as wingers also comes up with six wide men (Jacobs, Bavies, Hughes, Coutts). I would expect Coutts to play on the right, and if we are short of a central midfielder, I think Will Hughes is more likely to play there than Coutts. I also didn't count Connor Doyle as either striker nor winger, so make that seven options in both lists.

Maybe we do need a better striker for holding the ball, but we definitely don't lack numbers up front. We definitely need a new centre back at some point though, we're threadbare at the back, one injury and we run out of options, two injuries and we start playing midfielders in defense. A striker is a luxury, not a necessity, Connor Sammon would be ideal though.

That leaves us with 4 strikers Theo, Davies, Bennett and Ball.

Obviously as Clough has a small budget he's getting players who can play as many positions as possible so he has a lot of cover.

In reality I don't think you can count Bennett he only turns 16 tomorrow and will play probably 10 games more than likely as a sub.

Conor Doyle well I really don't understand why he's still here i assume he gets paid 1 bag of KP nuts a week thats why, but I hope unless he improves massively he won't even get on the bench.

So I still think if Steve Davies goes he very much needs to be replaced.

Yeh don't think theres any doubt that we need a CB. Ideally you need 2 players in each position so that means 8 midfielders I'd say those are Coutts, Bryson, Hendrick, Ward, Jacobs, Davies, Hughes & Tyson (If Bailey is sold) so theres your 8 as I'm guessing Hughes and Coutts are versatile, they're centre mid cover that can play on the wing.

If Bailey does stay I think we'd have to think about selling Tyson.

That reply went all wrong for some reason half of it went in your quote....

Yeh don't think theres any doubt that we need a CB. Ideally you need 2 players in each position so that means 8 midfielders I'd say those are Coutts, Bryson, Hendrick, Ward, Jacobs, Davies, Hughes & Tyson (If Bailey is sold) so theres your 8 as I'm guessing Hughes and Coutts are versatile, they're centre mid cover that can play on the wing.

That leaves us with 4 strikers Theo, Davies, Bennett and Ball.

Obviously as Clough has a small budget he's getting players who can play as many positions as possible so he has a lot of cover.

In reality I don't think you can count Bennett he only turns 16 tomorrow and will play probably 10 games more than likely as a sub.

Conor Doyle well I really don't understand why he's still here i assume he gets paid 1 bag of KP nuts a week thats why, but I hope unless he improves massively he won't even get on the bench.

So I still think if Steve Davies goes he very much needs to be replaced.

If Bailey does stay I think we'd have to think about selling Tyson.

Yes we do need a striker but one that offers something different to what we have at the moment.

Jamie Ward - Never convinced when he plays upfront

Nathan Tyson - He has never scored goals regularly outside League 2, not good enough

Theo Robinson - Love him or hate him, he works hard and makes things happen. Agreed

Callum Ball - Not convinced, I think a loan spell in League 1 could benefit him.

Mason Bennett - Touted by many as the next big thing, must play more this season. Agreed

*Steve Davies - Decent striker, probably won't be here.

Goals/ appearances:

Jamie Ward - 9 in 50

Nathan Tyson - 0 in 23

Theo Robinson - 12 in 52

Callum Ball - 3 in 29

Mason Bennett - 0 in 9

So together our strikers have scored 24 in their combined 163 appearances for Derby.

Yes, we need a striker.

Archived