'Demand based' Pricing For Tickets...

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think tickets will be cheaper on the day of match because if that's the case every body will wait till the day of the match if anything can see prices being highest on the day like they are now because of the 3pound charge for buying on the day. which I don't why it's almost as if they want to discourage people from buying on the day

Don't think tickets will be cheaper on the day of match because if that's the case every body will wait till the day of the match if anything can see prices being highest on the day like they are now because of the 3pound charge for buying on the day. which I don't why it's almost as if they want to discourage people from buying on the day

I don't agree - I think they're heralding this as they recognise that the way they do it now does discourage people from buying on the day. With a proper system in place they'll encourage early sales, not late sales. If you want to see the game you'll have to buy early otherwise you'll be taking a chance of not getting a seat.

I don't agree - I think they're heralding this as they recognise that the way they do it now does discourage people from buying on the day. With a proper system in place they'll encourage early sales, not late sales. If you want to see the game you'll have to buy early otherwise you'll be taking a chance of not getting a seat.

So what don't you agree on as you say the system in place now does discourage buying on the day, which you agree with. Then you say the new system will encourage early sales rather than late which is pretty much what I said

Full BBC story

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18424590]http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18424590

Derby County unveil "demand-based" ticket price plan

Derby County are introducing "demand-based" ticketing for the coming season with prices fluctuating according to the opposition, the team's form, kick-off times and even the weather.

Prices will still initially be graded according to the game's importance.

But the idea is that tickets will be cheapest when they go on sale and rise as demand rises nearer the game.

Continue reading the main story

“This will help identify the best price for tickets and provide fans with more price options, flexibility and the best value for money”

Tom Glick

Derby County chief executive

Derby say fans will get the "best value for money" and insist season-ticket holders will still get the best deal.

The new scheme, which will be implemented by pricing technology experts Digonex, is the first of its kind for an English football club,

but has been used by clubs across the major sports in North America.

Each home match will be placed into one of four categories with tickets in each category starting at a different "base price".

The theory is that to see Derby play one of the most attractive games of the season against fierce rivals Nottingham Forest on the day of the game will cost more than it would to buy a ticket in advance to see the Rams play less appealing opposition.

But a number of other factors, including kick-off times and the team's form, will also determine the price.

Outgoing chief executive Tom Glick said the club are confident the scheme will "help identify the best price for tickets and provide fans with more price options, flexibility and the best value for their money.

He added: "We believe we will entice new fans to Pride Park as well as offering more options to existing supporters whilst re-engaging with those supporters who haven't attended matches as much as they would have wished in the last few years."

Use accessible player and disable flyout menus

Operations director John Vicars told BBC Radio Derby: "It's a new way of selling tickets as far as football in the UK is concerned. Most people will be familiar with the concept when they are booking flights and hotel rooms. It's the same principal.

"It's about the laws of supply and demand. Tickets will go on on sale for the first half of the season at initial on-sale prices and those prices will fluctuate on a daily basis.

Continue reading the main story

“I'm a little bit befuddled by this initiative really...Quite often I will just commit on the day, ring my mates and see if they want to go”

Ross Lowe

Derby supporter

"If you want to buy, you buy it at the initial on-sale and the prices will rise through the weeks until kick off when you will pay more for that ticket.

"The message is 'buy early to secure the best possible deal'."

Vicars said the club were mindful of concerns voiced last season that last-minute cheap offers were unfair on those who had bought season tickets.

The Rams have written to season-ticket holders to explain how the partnership will work as well as how their season-ticket package is broken down.

"Season-ticket holders will always get the cheapest football through their season tickets," Vicars added.

"The pledge is that no one will ever buy a cheaper ticket in their part of the stadium, so season-ticket holders will always get the best possible deal.

Vicars also said that he was confident a lack of demand would not see prices plummet, therefore penalising fans who had bought tickets well in advance.

Rams fan Ross Lowe had serious misgivings about the scheme, fearing it would mean having to pay more for his ticket as he is not in a position to buy too far in advance.

"I'm a little bit befuddled by this initiative really," he told BBC Radio Derby.

"I'm not in a position to buy a half-season ticket at the moment because I can't commit and I don't know if I will be able to make all those Saturdays.

"Quite often I will just commit on the day, ring my mates and see if they want to go."

So what don't you agree on as you say the system in place now does discourage buying on the day, which you agree with. Then you say the new system will encourage early sales rather than late which is pretty much what I said

This is how I see it, but it's all presumtion until we hear more details.

If you plan 2-3 months in advance (or more) and buy, you'll get the lowest rate, which we'll say is near to the average ST price (but slightly above).

If you wait till a week or two in advance, you're at the mercy of the market. If it's a popular game the price could have gone up significantly (or even be unavailable), and probably will be more like the normal ticket price we'd get today.

If you take a punt on the day of the game and it's not selling particularly well, prices might have dropped back to the early bird prices.

That's how I hope it will work anyway. Might as well let people in for just above ST price as have an empty seat.

This is how I see it, but it's all presumtion until we hear more details.

If you plan 2-3 months in advance (or more) and buy, you'll get the lowest rate, which we'll say is near to the average ST price (but slightly above).

If you wait till a week or two in advance, you're at the mercy of the market. If it's a popular game the price could have gone up significantly (or even be unavailable), and probably will be more like the normal ticket price we'd get today.

If you take a punt on the day of the game and it's not selling particularly well, prices might have dropped back to the early bird prices.

That's how I hope it will work anyway. Might as well let people in for just above ST price as have an empty seat.

Spot on I thinkm apart from it being based on average ST match price.

The club have assigned categories to all matches and have worked out a cost for each game within the season ticket. ST holders will be given a break down of how much each match cost within their season ticket price. (ie so many bronze at £x, silver a £y etc...

The baseline ticket price for each game will be no less than the equivalent season ticket match price.

It seems to me a way of applying variable ticket discounts to attract the most fans in - if the price is low and a lot buy it will be raised until such a time that take up slows agian when it may be reduced.

Well you learn something new every day 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' />

On the subject of the new pricing policy, I treat all publicity from management that the policy is for the fans benefit to 'offer us choice and flexibility' with the pinch of salt it deserves, they've done the maths and its obviously a more effective revenue generator. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

This is the kind of move I was expecting from Glick and friends (didn't say Yanks) when they first came in. I think this might create more interest in Derby matches that otherwise would not create too much fuss. Hope I get a good deal on my tickets since I will be buying them as soon as it is possible.

What Digonex are saying

In full: http://fcbusiness.co.uk/news/article/newsitem=1845/title=derby+county+selects+digonex+to+provide+demand+based+pricing+for+tickets

Snippet:

Digonex sees DCFC as part of a wave of forward-thinking sports teams seizing on demand based pricing as a competitive and strategic opportunity to transform their franchises.

“Recognizing the current challenges of the economy worldwide, we know that demand pricing is the fairest system to create a long-term fan-base,” said Jan Eglen, Ph.D., CEO of Digonex.

“We find that focusing on better pricing helps teams engage fans in a meaningful way. Staying in sync with an ever-changing marketplace is the best way to provide great value to fans while increasing tickets sales.”

The SEATS integration with Tickets.com will allow DCFC to automate the acceptance of price recommendations from Digonex and eliminate the need for time-consuming manual price updates.

“We are happy to work alongside Digonex to provide Derby County with true fan-driven demand pricing capability,” said Derek Palmer, Managing Director / EVP, International for Tickets.com.

“We have worked with the company on similar and successful projects in the US and are pleased to be involved in what will be a landmark first in English football. The Digonex SEATS platform continues to provide us with a high quality, time-saving, technologically advanced solution for our clients.”

The club have written to ST holders? We haven't got our letter yet - has anyone else got theirs?

Fixtures are out monday so maybe the letters will arive after that. The games scheduled for midweek will affect the initial band that they are placed in.

Fixtures are out monday so maybe the letters will arive after that. The games scheduled for midweek will affect the initial band that they are placed in.

The letters where posted on Monday, they use UK Mail to deliver them to the Royal Mail, and it takes 5-7 days for UK Mail to do that.

Archived