Lescott - 6/10

Johnson - 4/10

Milner - 3/10

Parker - 4/10

Gerrard - 7/10

Downing - 1/10

Young - 7/10

Welbeck - 5/10

Strength in defence, I expect 2 very close banks of 4 in the style of Mike Bassett's famous 'Mr. Clutch Cup' win.. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

Would you say you're going into this with an open mind about how England will do Ambitious? I've never seen someone attempt to score player ratings before the game has kicked off.

FWIW - I semi agree with Downing. He wouldn't get near my sunday league team until he learns to put his foot in. Think you'll end up being a bit harsh on Parker and Milner and I fancy Glen Johnson will cause them problems going forward.

1-1 and we'll look tired in the heat.

Young FGS

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Milner..... The most boring player since........ Well, since Gareth Barry.

Downing has had plenty of bites of the cherry over the years. Why?

I think Parker could be Englands hero. Very disciplined. Knows his strengths. But he'll need to be good to carry overrated players like Johnson, Walcott, Downing, Young and the England version of Gerrard

I rate Milner, I don't understand what people don't like. Yes, he's no Gazza, but he's 'solid' (just like Gary Neville was thanklessly described for many years). Milner works hard, has some pace, can beat a man, he can cross a ball and he is very much two footed.

I'm happy with the XI Roy has picked, I'd probably choose Jagielka over Lescott, but as Lescott was in the original squad, I'm not surprised he has the nod. I'd rather Gerrard be out injured, and have Lamps in my team, but I'll take what we've got. Defoe, Carroll and Walcott are all decent impact options from the bench, pace, power and goals. The one thing I don't want to see is Carroll coming on and giving away a free kick everytime it gets a little physical.

Edit: No red cards either please.

2nd Edit: Anyway, off to work I go, fingers crossed we'll be able to watch it, but I won't hold my breath.

Why have I missed where these other teams have won or got to a final in the past barring one tournament ??

1990 was the last and only time we got to the semi final whilst not playing in England, I think you should have said this is the only england team that has not been over hyped in living memory.

We still have players in the squad that are playing at the top for their club, lets hope for once we can carry that form onto the international stage, something we for some reason fail to acheive.

I understand where you're coming from but for me, player to player ability wise its just awful.

Ox starting for instance, played 16 premier league games scored 2 and scored 1, he does look bright fair enough but come on, Matt Oakley had a better record for us in the premiership.

I do have an open mind for this competition, but I can't hold back my worries that we have too many unproven players in this side, not only at international level but also club level along with that, just too many average players.

I'm excited but going to miss the first half as I have classes.. All the guys here (neutrals) say we have no chance, I sadly agree with them but I'm looking forward to a major non the less..

I don't know why, but I'm more excited now than about the WC 2010... I think it's because I know that we have no chance and I'm looking forward to seeing Ribery, Nasri and Benzema rip us apart..

So 4-1-4-1 ugly defensive formation it is..

Johnson-----Terry--------Lescott--------Cole

----------------------Parker----------------------

Milner-------Gerrard---------Young--------Ox

-----------------------Welbeck--------------------

With Parker occasionally stepping up and Young breaking behind Welbeck.. This is by far the worst England team in my lifetime, it looks so bad.. It would struggle to finish in the top 6 in the PL..

Archived