Winning season

smiffy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What defines a 'winning season' finishing in the top half of the table?

But yeh, I was saying to my bezi the other week that this is the longest we have gone in living memory that we haven't pushed for the top. I hope we dont stagnate as an 'ok' second tier team that may one day enjoy a few seasons in the top flight. I hate it when people at the club say things like 'stoke / cardiff' should be our role models.

What defines a 'winning season' finishing in the top half of the table?

But yeh, I was saying to my bezi the other week that this is the longest we have gone in living memory that we haven't pushed for the top. I hope we dont stagnate as an 'ok' second tier team that may one day enjoy a few seasons in the top flight. I hate it when people at the club say things like 'stoke / cardiff' should be our role models.

I mean lose more games than we win.

Or win more than we lose? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

That's what my expectation was for this year. Win more than we lose with a solid mid table finish, still could happen. We just haven't turned enough losses into draws. Boro on Saturday a good example.

Yeah 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Another poor lack lustre season for me, we could even end up lower than 14th, which would be worse than Cloughs first season in charge, Im welcoming the end of this season and looking forward to seeing some decent football at the Euros.

If you're in the PL you can naturally expect more losses than wins..

But now I've gotten accustomed to seeing more losses than wins in the 2nd tier.. Over the past 13 years or so we've only won more than we've lost in 2 seasons..

On a side note, being a playoff team you can't go losing more than 14 games (this season Blackpool have the most with 11).. We suffered our 15th loss of the season against Brighton, March 20th.. After that loss we still had 8 games remaining.. Goes to show that we were never really pushing the top 6

Surely points gained shows progress?

Why, is it better to say finish 2nd one season with 80 points, and the next get 82 points and finish third ?

We have gained more points from playing better teams in the top half than in Cloughs first year, the reason for this is that the quality of the teams at the top is poorer, the problem is that other teams around us have done the same, therefore more points same position = no progress.

Why, is it better to say finish 2nd one season with 80 points, and the next get 82 points and finish third ?

We have gained more points from playing better teams in the top half than in Cloughs first year, the reason for this is that the quality of the teams at the top is poorer, the problem is that other teams around us have done the same, therefore more points same position = no progress.

I would say it is the opposite - we can't expect other teams to sit and stagnate. Quality at the top is poorer? West Ham/Leicester have premier league squads even though their form hasn't been too good. Southampton, Reading and Brighton have done fantastic and the usual suspects such as Cardiff are up there.

We are going in the right direction and long may it continue.

I think personally points as the points we have amassed this season has prevented us looking over our shoulders. Position is relative in this division. At the end of the season there will be about 6-8 teams all within 3 points of each other. We could then look at a game here and there where we dropped points which cost us a higher position. (Peterbrough is a prime example, Cardiff by all accounts we had the better of the game but could not score, Boro last Saturday theres 3pts minimum if we drew all of them). It depends on your point of view.

For me I have taken heart and it is the same argument under a different thread that a young squad/team has gained valuable experience in the Championship without having to face a relegation battle. I am just hoping to see the progress continue next season.

PS. If you think you will see good football in the Euros I think you will be disappointed I can't remember the last International game which was entertaining.

I would say it is the opposite - we can't expect other teams to sit and stagnate. Quality at the top is poorer? West Ham/Leicester have premier league squads even though their form hasn't been too good. Southampton, Reading and Brighton have done fantastic and the usual suspects such as Cardiff are up there.

We are going in the right direction and long may it continue.

But we arent going in the right direction, which is my point, we are 14th, 2 seasons ago we were 14th, next season we could be 10th with fewer points, will you then say its progress again ?

In the season we finished 14th, Newcastle and West Brom had far better squads than any team, the top 6 were IMO far better, and therefore the teams in mid table were not picking up as many points from these, this year IMO the league is of a poorer quality.

But we arent going in the right direction, which is my point, we are 14th, 2 seasons ago we were 14th, next season we could be 10th with fewer points, will you then say its progress again ?

In the season we finished 14th, Newcastle and West Brom had far better squads than any team, the top 6 were IMO far better, and therefore the teams in mid table were not picking up as many points from these, this year IMO the league is of a poorer quality.

Wage bill is down compared to 2 seasons ago - can you realistically expect Jenson Button/Lewis Hamilton or any other top F1 driver winning the championship in a Sauber/Force India car? No.

Archived