Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

He does sound fed up with the move, and he doesn't sound happy with the way it was conducted either.

I think it goes down as one of the worst decisions we could of made this summer, but we need the money to press on and he is a player who's value would probably not going to rise again due to his age. Its a shame, but, we need to press on now and hope to god Cloughs got

a rabbit in the hat so to speak.

Agree with every word mate.

I'd rather see Shack leave on a free as we use him to try and make the PL than worry about what he might go for In 2 years time.

Besides, in 2 years time we could of made the PL and made the sort of money that means half the squad can play out contracts.

But clearly the board aren't too confident of making the PL.

Good to know they have faith. What Appleby says doesn't seem to match a club trying to cut costs over and over.

Unless it really was a football decision?

League 1 is closer with the tactic we use in my own opinion. Derby Accounty

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish people would stop digging up the same old 'big club' rubbish.. Shackell has moved on to a club with serious ambitions and a decent chance of promotion this season.. That's a hell of a lot more important than staying at club with next to no plans of promotion who equally pay you less regardless of how the fans percieve the size of the club.. (we're not big club, never have been, never will be!)

This is a step up for Shacks..

On the deal itself, it's abit bizarre.. I can only assume that we needed him off the wage bill and we have a defender lined up in his place.. Wait and see, it isn't beyond the realms of reality that we replace him with a better player for cheaper.. Remember, the likes of Gorkks was only signed for $500k.

The only problem now is that it's clear as day that wages are a stumbling block for any potential signing.. We have to be looking at lower league players or those from abroad to fall in line with our wages.. Proven or experienced NPC defenders are out of bounds really.

How have Burnley got serious ambitions? they're not investing anything and dependant on premier league parachute payment and the only reason they can afford to fund such a move is because they have sold their best player for 7million.

The bloke from BBC Lanc said this will without a doubt be Burnleys biggest signing this summer, they're not big spenders and not in a position to offer silly wages, they have however got 7million for one player and already told fans that they can only expect to see a small proportion of that pumped back into the team, hence why the other 2 signings have come from lower leagues.

That isn't 'real' ambition, they're in the same boat as us but sitting on a big lump sum from sales and on their last? parachute payments and thats why they can go out and spend money, none of it is investment.

Could anyone give me a big summary on the whole interview? Can't listen as I'm on my mobile?

He did't want to leave, but he knew that Derby wanted some money, so he thought it might be the case of selling him, he went to see the gaffer (Clough) and Cloughie said his piece and Shack didn;t want to stay nomore, so off he went....

Listening to that interview was bloody depressing. It is very clear that Shackell did not force a move at all and the management wanted to 'cash' in for 1.1 million. Yes we have seen worse times in 2001 and 2005 etc however that interview was painful to listen to because it looks like the club forced Shackell out for less than 2 million and I feel sorry for Shackell. He didn't exactly sound enthusiastic at moving away, more like a forced move.

Could anyone give me a big summary on the whole interview? Can't listen as I'm on my mobile?

Shackell told [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/sport/index.shtml]BBC Radio Lancashire: "I knew Derby were quite keen to get some money in so I thought it could be a possibility.

"I had a great year there last year and I got on really well with the lads. It's a fantastic club and I really did enjoy my time.

"But if the club wanted to cash in, as they say, it left me in a difficult position. I'm not going to hang about somewhere where you're not sure where you stand.

"Once I met the gaffer (Eddie Howe) and his team, I was very impressed and I was really looking forward to coming down.

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18704229#story_continues_2]Continue reading the main story

[indent]

“The last four or five years have been crazy and I'm looking forward to getting settled somewhere”[/indent]

Jason Shackell

"The last four or five years have been crazy and I'm looking forward to getting settled somewhere. Hopefully I'll be here for a few years to come.

How have Burnley got serious ambitions? they're not investing anything and dependant on premier league parachute payment and the only reason they can afford to fund such a move is because they have sold their best player for 7million.

The bloke from BBC Lanc said this will without a doubt be Burnleys biggest signing this summer, they're not big spenders and not in a position to offer silly wages, they have however got 7million for one player and already told fans that they can only expect to see a small proportion of that pumped back into the team, hence why the other 2 signings have come from lower leagues.

That isn't 'real' ambition, they're in the same boat as us but sitting on a big lump sum from sales and on their last? parachute payments and thats why they can go out and spend money, none of it is investment.

Of course they're going to say that.. They're hardly going to say 'We've got $7mill and we're going to spend it all' as every club will jack up the prices of their players when Burnley come calling...

They already had a solid team from last season.. One that looked like it could push for the playoffs for the majority of the season.. Burnley have got ambition as they don't sell their best players unless it's for good money and they reinvest in decent players.. They'll be looking for the top 6 this season and they'll make more signings..

Burnley are actively looking at a top 6 place, how can you say the same for Derby? We're losing our better players whilst forever selling to lower the wage budget.. Burnley aren't, and can offer higher wages.. Yes they're not multi-millionaires and throwing money around like Leicester, but their approach is far more likely to see them in the playoffs than our approach.. It's a step up whatever way you look at it..

He will get a loyalty fee and a nice pay rise + a long term contract he hasn't done bad out of this.

yes but he didn't exactly sound enthusiastic at moving in the interview. It cannot be nice being told to leave a club, yes the long term contract with money will help.

yes but he didn't exactly sound enthusiastic at moving in the interview. It cannot be nice being told to leave a club, yes the long term contract with money will help.

Most players who get a better deal would be off ASAP, blus Burnley isn't THAT far away from Derby.

Of course they're going to say that.. They're hardly going to say 'We've got $7mill and we're going to spend it all' as every club will jack up the prices of their players when Burnley come calling...

They already had a solid team from last season.. One that looked like it could push for the playoffs for the majority of the season.. Burnley have got ambition as they don't sell their best players unless it's for good money and they reinvest in decent players.. They'll be looking for the top 6 this season and they'll make more signings..

Burnley are actively looking at a top 6 place, how can you say the same for Derby? We're losing our better players whilst forever selling to lower the wage budget.. Burnley aren't, and can offer higher wages.. Yes they're not multi-millionaires and throwing money around like Leicester, but their approach is far more likely to see them in the playoffs than our approach.. It's a step up whatever way you look at it..

Burnley I think will do well but they aren't exactly going out and buying proven upon proven player paying out ridiculous amounts of wages and in most cases have got quite lucky with their dealings. I like the way they play, the team they have and the way they conduct their business, they're sitting on a lot more income than we are currently bringing in and in turn that has allowed them to try and maximise their potential with the budget they have. We are trying the same thing but on a much tighter budget, come the end of the season I would care to bet our losses will be bigger than theirs.. Last season we reported a 7.7million pound loss, them only 4. We're playing further outside our budget than them. (or was at least)

Burnley I think will do well but they aren't exactly going out and buying proven upon proven player paying out ridiculous amounts of wages and in most cases have got quite lucky with their dealings. I like the way they play, the team they have and the way they conduct their business, they're sitting on a lot more income than we are currently bringing in and in turn that has allowed them to try and maximise their potential with the budget they have. We are trying the same thing but on a much tighter budget, come the end of the season I would care to bet our losses will be bigger than theirs.. Last season we reported a 7.7million pound loss, them only 4. We're playing further outside our budget than them. (or was at least)

Theres no proof that proven upon proven player is the key to getting promoted.. Jewell and his 20 odd signings proved that..

I was going to mention Burnley in that context, they seem to be a very well run club.. Maybe they're not stupid like Leicester or maybe they don't feel the need to buy 3 players for $2mill a piece to try and gain promotion..

The winger they bought from Leyton Orient could be a diamond and Shacks is a great signing for a reported $1.1mill.. A solid defender that can win you games..

I'm merely trying to point out that our ambition is clearly on a different level to theirs.. We don't seem to have any ambition at all.. And just out of curiosity, who now is our top earner and what does he earn? Tyson? Are we trying to have a wage cap at $6k a week?

Theres no proof that proven upon proven player is the key to getting promoted.. Jewell and his 20 odd signings proved that..

I was going to mention Burnley in that context, they seem to be a very well run club.. Maybe they're not stupid like Leicester or maybe they don't feel the need to buy 3 players for $2mill a piece to try and gain promotion..

The winger they bought from Leyton Orient could be a diamond and Shacks is a great signing for a reported $1.1mill.. A solid defender that can win you games..

I'm merely trying to point out that our ambition is clearly on a different level to theirs.. We don't seem to have any ambition at all.. And just out of curiosity, who now is our top earner and what does he earn? Tyson? Are we trying to have a wage cap at $6k a week?

I can't stress enough, the point I am trying to make.

Their income is far greater than ours, therefore have a lot more room to play with and even though their wagebill will be bigger and their squad will be bigger their losses will still be a lot smaller than ours. This isn't ambition, this is just using what they have, however we're trying to cut down to a more reasonable size in terms of losses, which is the true indication of ambition in my opinion - for instance festers owners were ambitious but because of this made nearly a 20million pound loss!!

They aren't investing more than us, infact they're investing a lot less but they have the income to spend whereas we don't.

They're a better placed club financially due to parachute payments and player money received so therefore can afford to go out and spend more than us.

Archived