Baseball Ground....

ramblur

I think the atmosphere will need no drumming up on Sunday, it will be the normal local derby atmosphere. Only 300 tickets left now, so as long as the weather holds out we should be in for a sell out, even though we've had to sell part of F*rests allocation for them.

But wouldn't it be great to recreate a BBG 'Chelsea' for the benefit of those who never experienced it,Donny?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That 'clap clap clap, DERBY, clap clap clap, DERBY' chant was phased out because of the 'SHYT' retort. The chant, all over the country, has been phased out.

Manure tried it out at PP I think with their 'united' version, Derbys reply was instant. (that cup game)

Shame, because it is a great chant.

We could drown out the 'shyts' during the 'clap clap clap' phase with 'COUNTY', suppose?

That 'clap clap clap, DERBY, clap clap clap, DERBY' chant was phased out because of the 'SHYT' retort. The chant, all over the country, has been phased out.

Manure tried it out at PP I think with their 'united' version, Derbys reply was instant. (that cup game)

We could drown out the 'shyts' during the 'clap clap clap' phase with 'COUNTY', suppose?

Wash your mouth out! No Derby fan would ever refer to us as COUNTY!!!

Doesn't a vocal group nearby pointing and chanting "Yes you are,yes you are,yes you are" work?

Eh now, don't be silly!

Isn't it as silly as "County"?

How about a big chant (acting as a cue for the Derrrby chant) of:-

Let's all sing our name now,Let's all sing our name now,

(pointing over) You are shyt,you are shyt.

If they want to chant shyt after that,then all the better.

If they try to come up with alternatives,then just react and change the wording to "you are shyt,you are crap" etc

• 1 month later...

Last season there which was my first season ticket and the first in prem.

Asanovic ripping teams apart with his driving runs through the midfield.

Jacob Laursens thunderbolt against schmeichel also deserves a mention

Daveo what's happened to this forum why can't we get full version from mobiles anymore or quote posts from mobiles.

I'm using the mobile version on't IPhone, seems to work alright?

As for the BBG. Went as a young kid, unfortunately have no memory of the place. Born a few decades too late.

mud and more mud 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> a great leveler, and then there was the atmosphere, it clung to you,you couldn't not get intoxicated by it,whether it was good or bad.... And no barrier to stop fans going on the pitch after a famous victory which I did, but I was a young teenager then..... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' />

Wading in the toilets

Gigar smoke

Franny Lee and Norman Hunter having a slight disagreement

C Stand litterally bouncing

Noise

Steve Buckley almost bursting the net with a free kick

Invading the pitch (usually) after a match

Bloody great steel cages to stop us invading the pitch after a match

Much of what's already been said.

Graduating from the boys' pen to the popside (like changing school).The crackling atmosphere of the popside,especially during the glory days/the fella with the megaphone walking round trying to shift fans to let more in during the really big games/cascading down following a goal,near miss,or horseplay (quite dangerous looking back,though I never heard of anyone getting hurt).On the flipside,that infamous bottleneck of a popside exit-hearing women screaming ahead and trying to push back (yelling "push back","push back")to ease the pressure ahead.How nobody (as far as I know) ever got crushed is a mystery to me.There was humour later on (when the crowds dropped off) when some jokers took to bobbing up and down whilst exiting,chanting "merrrr,merrr".

John Robertson conducting the "we hate Forest" chant,when lining up on the half way line.Sam standing up to take a massive round of applause that he obviously didn't realise was aimed at Brian.Trying to watch a game whilst dodging ripped out seats from above (on a rare occasion that I opted not to stand on hallowed ground-serves me right)

Barry Hutchinson's semi circular run after scoring a goal.Kevin Francis playing on the wing,lighting up a gloomy period when there was little to cheer.

Loved every second of the Baseball Ground, the mid 70's on the Popside were for me, the ultimate football experience. Excitement, cameradie, superb football, humour, characters on the terrace and on the pitch.

It was my teenage years, coming of age, learning to fight and drink, belonging, the noise, the banter, the violence, the fear and the sense of history of the old stadium.

The wooden stands, the crush barriers, the surge, the chanting of every players name during the warm up and the cheer when we got the wave back.

Even the walk up to the ground from the town and station was an event in itself and all part of it.

The day they put seats on the popside was a bigger blow for me than the move to Pride Park. Once that sense of anonymity, of a place where working class lads could meet up and feel they were somehow an important part of a great football club, something died a little.

The other night against Forest was a glimpse of what it was like before all seater, sterile stadia. We had that feeling every match back in the 70's, todays youngsters will only taste that atmosphere very occasionally.

When we were rumoured to be on verge of signing Ken Wagstaffe (what a player-Chilton wasn't bad either,in fact that Hull side was pretty good),preparing the chant "Wiliie,Wiggy,Waggy".

Archived