Baseball Ground....

ramblur

Went down the other day for the first time in years, my god what have they done to it....

A load of shitty houses, called euphoria? The only thing they have done is call it Baseball Drive. Whoever buys one of them sheds must be high on summit never mind euphoric! Starting from £160,000..... bargain.

Apart from the statue which I quite like, the whole thing needs knocking down and grassing so local lads can play football on it.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing that strikes me is the amount of cr*p everyone came out with regarding the new ground.

"Best ground in the UK"

"Close as you can possibly be to the pitch"

"The noise will reverberate around the ground"

That's the biggest shame for me. They'll never replace the BBG, but the feeble attempt that they came up with is the biggest crime of it all, along with the lies that suckered fans into believing it would be the best thing to ever happen to Derby.

Soul well and truly sold in the name of "progress".

Nice one Ramblur......

ruined me day mind, had loads to do before going work later, now I've got to watch it all the way through!

Sorry Uttox,should have mentioned the length of it.Got caught out myself-was expecting 10 mins,but got to bed very late.Memories eh,cascading down the popside after a goal/near miss/those at the top just acting the goat.

Enjoyed Ian Hall's(what a nice guy) anecdotes -a player racing off to catch a train,how times have changed.

Great times, Ley Stand Row F seat 63, with my dad and grandad. We still have 3 generations go to games but now it's my kids with me and my dad.

Great memories, fantastic atmosphere, the night match's were something special (well the ones I was allowed to attend).

35'000 packed in to a ground that should have really only held 20'000. Great times though and hopefully my kids will get to enjoy similar memories in the not too distant future, with a bit of luck and a few quid invested.

I loved it - particularly the walk through town with my old man on a match day (parking in the DRI car park and trekking through Normo park). I also loved the intimidating, ramshackle (no pun intended) look of the place and the feeling you got when you walked out onto the terraces - used to make the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Got me thinking about my first ever game, Everton. It must've been '88 or '89-ish, seem to remember it being around Xmas time too. My Granddad was a scouser and spent the whole game trying to get me into the Toffee's. Think they won, but I was sold on Derby from that day, regardless...

Come to think of it, anyone know where to look up old fixtures? I'd be keen to know exactly when that game was...

same here mate, used to get in for free, me uncle was a steward 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

and me,not free though 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' />

I am just old enough to remember going to the BBG my 1st season ticket was the last season there. Sat in the toyota stand, near the score board and away fans, with my mum. Best match for atmosphere, that I can remember is West Ham that season, for the whole of the second half we sang 'we are derby, super derby' other than when ace went down in the box and scored the peno then went straight back to singing it after the celebrations.

My 1st game was against Sunderland 89-90 season, I believe, was only 4, was stood in the popside, about 5 mins into the game we were next to the green barrier/gate and saw my uncle on the other side and we asked if we could be let through and he said just jump on the pitch and go round!! Like that would happen nowadays!!

Ahhh some great memories.

Just watched the whole thing right through. Thanks you Ramblur. Very emotional. Just goes to remind us all that we are a family at Derby County. When we pull together we are great and can be great again. All our current players should watch this just to help them really understand who they are representing.

UTR

Absolutely 'spot on' !!

First game was 68-69 v Bolton. We won 5-1. Two things stood out that day, the brightness of the white shirts (at the start of the game) as there was no advertising then, AND the 'beautiful game' that we played.

Genuinely brought a tear to my eye.

My first season was the promotion season under Jim Smith - I remember the Palace game like it was yesterday. I managed to get a year or two under my belt at the BBG - I loved the old Ramtique and listening to my Dads stories in the old wooden bar areas.

I just wish I could have experienced the place in its hey day and was a little bit older to appreciate the football we played under Smith (I was 11 at the time). Sadly this reminds me of how much football has changed even since the 90s - it must be even worse for the older lot.

I have just got home from a 2 hour/stock the house up with enough food so we could survive a nuclear bomb dropping on us/shopping trip to the hypermarket and was wandering around in a daze just day dreaming about the baseball ground.

It was, and always will be, the best football stadia ever built.

I recall when they were selling us on the idea of pride park with the "just like the bbg, steep sides, intimidating ,etc etc" rubbish, and like someone already said, this was obviously untrue after maybe 2 minutes of the first game. So so sad, i know people will say we had to move etc etc but they really did rip the heart out of the greatest football club in the world when they moved us into this industrial unit.

Every player in the squad should be sat around their giant tv screens now watching that film, maybe then they will have some idea what it means to wear that beautiful shirt and what it means to us to beat those inbreds this weekend.

Thanks for posting this, as you can see, its got me all emotional for the big trip over.

As we used to say at the baseball ground ....

DERRRRBY . . . DERRRRBY...DERRRRBY...

That long slow chant of Derrrby - Derrrrby - Derrrrby all round the ground was nothing short of spine tingling. If only we could get it going round pride Park with ALL joining in..................... Would still sound fantastic!

Anyone got a link where we can hear that again? Get the SE Corner on it! Get Nick on it!

Been saying it for ages-even the self conscious join in -doesn't preclude the singers having their songs during or in between.

My first game was against Leeds i think.. i really cant remember.. I had two seasons as a season ticketer.. 01-02 and 02-03 i was 8 back then... i never got to go to the BBG, but got a farewell tour 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />.. I was at Oakwell the other night and relised how much charecter is in the ground compared to PP

Agree. Once the younger set of supporters heard the effect it would be there to stay!

Drummer providing the bang,bang,bang in between the Derrrrbys would be good (otherwise 3 stamps/claps).Wouldn't that set a great tone just before ko on Sunday?

I think the atmosphere will need no drumming up on Sunday, it will be the normal local derby atmosphere. Only 300 tickets left now, so as long as the weather holds out we should be in for a sell out, even though we've had to sell part of F*rests allocation for them.

Archived