Conor Doyle injured? It just gets worse!

Catch 23

Injury is set to scupper Conor Doyle's chance of breaking into the Derby starting XI.

Doyle suffered a hamstring tear in a reserve-team match last week and will be out for four to six weeks. Rams boss Nigel Clough was planning to use the 20-year-old on the right-hand side of midfield between now and the end of the season.

"It is a blow for Conor and bad timing because as soon as we got to the safety mark, points-wise, we were going to take a look at him on the right," said Clough. "With John Brayford out and Paul Green probably having to stay at right-back as cover, it was an ideal chance to take a look at Conor once we had sufficient points in the bag.

"He has done ever so well in training but now he is likely to be out for most of the rest of the season."

Doyle's only start this season came in the defeat at Peterborough in November. He has made five other appearances as a substitute, the last of which was in the goalless draw at Millwall last month.

Meanwhile, Derby are still waiting to discover the extent of the knee injury that captain Shaun Barker suffered against Nottingham Forest on Tuesday night. However, it is clear the problem will rule out the defender for the remainder of this season.

[url=http://www.eatsleepsport.com/derby-county/injury-blow-for-doyle-1397225.html]http://www.eatsleepsport.com/derby-county/injury-blow-for-doyle-1397225.html

Don't know the accuracy of this, but apparently Clough was going to give Doyle a run on the right. He's another who gets unfairly criticised, I haven't seen enough of him to offer an opinion, but maybe he just needs a run in the side or some confidence to play.

Click on the link, also, and look at the most recent match reports. It's as if we ceased to exist after May 2008 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' /> .

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen a professional player look so scared on the pitch as he did against Peterborough, it looked like he was about to cry! Seems a hard working lad but from what i've seen he doesn't warrent a place in the starting 11. Would rather see Ball, Bennett, O'Brien, Hughes, Naylor get some game time once we have over 50 points.

To be honest, there was a touch of irony about the thread title...

indeed - but i'm not sure nige sees it that way.

can we play tyson on the left and ben davies on the right? - or is that silly.

seems to me our current formation in terms of wide players only suits someone who is currently injured.

I originally thought Davies on the left was a bad thing but the more I think about it - I can see Clough on this one.

Davies isn't going to run down the league taking people on - his only chance is to cut back inside to put a cross in - so best to have him cut back onto his right instead of his left.

Its a limited ability player but thats what DCFC has right now!

Doyle, Tyson and Bavies (who's done alright since in his third chance) seem to be judged a little differently from Cywka, Maguire and Addison.

Pearson too could do no wrong.

Clough gets on my nerves. Fluck what happens in training. You don't get PTS at Moor Farm. I'd imagine Taraabt doesn't have a great attitude to training. Good job Warnock didn't offload him asap.

If your face fits around here.

Why do people have to be so harsh all the time?

Doyle came to us from college football in Dallas. He's improved quite a bit since he joined us, has also broke into two international youth squads (take a pick) and worked his socks off to get into the first team. One bad game and everybody calls for his head.

Gutted for him, seems to always happen to our players at the worst possible times. Hope he gets another chance to prove himself in the not so distant future.

I originally thought Davies on the left was a bad thing but the more I think about it - I can see Clough on this one.

Davies isn't going to run down the league taking people on - his only chance is to cut back inside to put a cross in - so best to have him cut back onto his right instead of his left.

Its a limited ability player but thats what DCFC has right now!

Limited ability player that is near the top of the assist table despite having only started 26 games......

Archived