What is the best Rams game you ever went to and why?

Brammie Steve

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has to be that Chelsea game for me.For all the stick in the muds in the stands to start stamping their feet and chant "Derrrby" was memorable and deafening-I bet even Sam and Sydney were tapping their feet when nobody was watching! Of course it all came about because fans realised they were witnessing the start of something big.Can't remember a great deal of the game,but I do vividly recall Jimmy Walker racing the length of the pitch to get a block in on Ian Hutchinson.

Apart from that,all those games under BC where we launched everything but the kitchen sink at the opposition for the first 20 odd minutes,and watching even the great Liverpool buckle under the strain.

Another vote for the 1968 Chelsea match ,proof that a crowd could win a football match .That was the game when we believed we we on our way .Pride Park never has and never will have anything close to the atmosphere at that game.Sadly not on the box and not even covered on radio Derby at the time, they had their top ten Derby goals listed I think Dave Mac's from this match was number 8 but there was no original commentary just Graham Richards talking it through.

Derby 2 - 1 Middlesborough - We only had 10 men, atmosphere at Pride Park was amazing. Anybody that say pride park is dead doesn't know how it can be!

I remember this one, pride park was absolutely rocking! Didnt wanchope get sent off for a few handbags with andy townsend? Remember everyone feeling a massive injustice and we went on and won it! Remeber when we scored the place erupted! Best atmosphere iv ever known at PP

some great memories here, yes your right shilts, beats watching the cr*p we have to put up with over the last four years.

for me its probably

1. Derby 2 Florist 0 fa cup 83.

2. Derby 2 middlesboro 1 as mentioned, phenomenal atmosphere, the best ive ever been too at PP jonathan hunt with the winner after choppy sent off.

3. No one has mentioned this one, but 4 -1 derby v plymouth- last game of the season 88, 1-0 down at half time and finishing second, then what a display second half, with bobby davison scoring the best goal ive ever seen in the flesh to equalise. 'pick that one out of the net steve cherry'. vintage from callaghan, gregory and micklewhite too. what a celebration after the game with the first division trophy.

3. No one has mentioned this one, but 4 -1 derby v plymouth- last game of the season 88, 1-0 down at half time and finishing second, then what a display second half, with bobby davison scoring the best goal ive ever seen in the flesh to equalise. 'pick that one out of the net steve cherry'. vintage from callaghan, gregory and micklewhite too. what a celebration after the game with the first division trophy.

ooh that Davo finish - never to be forgotten

This will sound odd, but the game against Arsenal at the Emirates when we lost 5/6-0.

Our fans were amazing that day,the 'We Are Derby' chant went on for about 15 minutes and even when they scored their fifth we carried on with the chant. Made me proud to be a Ram when we could outsing 60,000 fans when losing 5-0.

Best game on the pitch would probably be the Southampton 2nd leg at Pride Park, so many twists and turns in that game.

Good to hear that it is possible to be positive in the face of a huge defeat. A friend of mine went to the 7-1 defeat at Anfield in the early 90s. The fans who went were amused to hear someone say that Radio Derby's number should be changed from Derby 616161 to Derby 717171. Perhaps someone can find a positive from yesterday,s 4-0 defeat at Southampton. Ladyram's husband was there, perhaps he can think of one! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

BTW I remember listening to Radio Derby in 1987 when the Plymouth match was being played. RD was commentating on an important Burton Albion match (could have been the FA Trophy at Wembley against Kidderminster Harriers where they drew, then lost 1-0 at the Hawthorns a few days later in a replay which I went to) at half time the reporter said "if things stay as they are Derby will not be going up as champions. Then a few minutes into the second half he reported "sensational news from the Baseball Ground, Derby County have scored 3 times in the space of 5 (or possibly 7) minutes.

If I had been at the match I am sure I would have it as one of my best matches too!

PS the FA Trophy replay was a bit of a classic by the Brewers too. Inspired performance by their goalie!

For me it has to be the 3 - 1 win v Chelsea in 68/69. I have never experienced a football atmosphere like that since then. At the time we were in the second division and Chelsea in the first. We drew down there and then went a goal down at the BBG. Dave Mc brought us back into it before we ran away with it..... orgasmic. We did a job on Everton the next round before Swindon brought us back down to earth.

Always thought that those two games were the turning point for the club

Archived