What is the best Rams game you ever went to and why?

Brammie Steve

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either one of these games. Hard to pick one in front of the other.

[size=4]The Baseball Ground[/size]

[size=4]English Division 2 (Old)[/size]

[size=4]22nd January 1983 Derby County 3 Leeds United 3 due to it being my 1st game seeing the mighty rams at The Baseball Ground.I was taken with my dad,[/size][size=4]and travelled from Hull, and an exciting game it was, and even though the dirty Leeds fans were ripping out the wooden seats and causing a load of bother, I'd had my first experience at the mighty Baseball Ground.[/size]

[size=4]English FA Cup[/size]

[size=4]29th January 1983 Derby County 2 Chelsea 1 I was back again at The Baseball Ground the following week, with my dad and older brother (a Chelsea fan) to see the rams do the business, [/size][size=4]whilst the Chelsea fans repeated what Leeds fans had done the week before. I enjoyed the journey back to Hull a lot more than my older brother![/size]

[size=4]During that season Peter Taylor had just returned to The Baseball Ground, the second win of the season didn't come until December, but a long unbeaten run from the end of January to the end of April secured the rams safety. Unfortunately the following 1983/84 season the club went to the high court, but after much work behind the scenes, Derby were saved and the winding-up petitions lifted. But on the field there was no way back. The Rams ultimately finished third from bottom, five points adrift of safety, and nine years after winning the league they were in the third tier of the English game. [/size]

[size=4]When I think back to these times and read some of the whinging dross on here, I soon realise we are doing alright and that's alright with me.[/size]

[size=4]Up The Rams.[/size]

I have the dvd as well it really makes me laugh 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> for me it would be between 1) derby vs southampton play off semi final second leg, the atmosphere was unlike anything i have heard before and the game had everything, including idiakez missing the penalty 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

2) the play off final, for the occasion and seeing my team win at wembley is every football fans dream 3) forest 1 derby 2 the best derby forest game in recent years for me.

We played Wigan away on boxing day, me and brother got stuck on the M6 and got to the ground 5 mins before half time. Saw a guy I know, he said we was 1-0 down and playing like ****, **** it early pint, went to watch second half and we won 2-1 Rasaik and Tommy Smith, I remember running a length of a row to jump on a some lads to celebrate.

Derby 2 Arsenal 1 - It was the year they beat Liverpool in the final game of the season. They'd gone 0-1 up, Nigel Callaghan equalised for us, and then Phil Gee scored an absolute screamer to make it 2-1.

Derby 4 Southampton 0 - Whenever I think of TBE's golden era, I always think of this game. Eranio, Baiano and Wanchope, all on fire. 0-0 with about 20 minutes left and then all hell broke lose, we got the first goal, and then just kept going, and going, and going.

Derby 3 Sheff Wed 3 - Simon Donnelly scored in the 90th minute to make it 1-3 to Wednesday. By the time the final whistle sounded a few minutes later we'd pulled it back to 3-3 and Christie narrowly missed getting a winner.

Yeah, I remember this well as I went corporate with a work associate who was a Wednesdayite. He went to the toilet with Wednesday 3-0 up, came back and it was 3 a piece with Christie bearing down on goal for the winner.

The best game ever has to be v Benfica European Cup under floodlights at the BBG, I was 7 years old and thought those days would last forever.

In modern times, I thought the Friday night (was it 5-1) v Peterborough, when Billy was in charge was up there with the best.

The win away at Donny last season was special too, some really good football from both teams.

Derby County 2 - 1 Leicester 1993/4(or 5) Was my first league game, atmosphere was amazing. Remember walking out at one of the goal ends and seeing the pitch, BBG, was massive to me. Can remember gasping audibly and a few people having a laugh with my dad about it. Good times!

Derby 2 - 1 Middlesborough - We only had 10 men, atmosphere at Pride Park was amazing. Anybody that say pride park is dead doesn't know how it can be!

Derby 3 - 0 Arsenal - Taking the piss out of Ian Wright and David Seaman all game, Seaman taking it all in good fun.

Derby 3 - 3 Middlesborough - Georgi Kinkladze, Malcolm Christie and Branko Strupar changing the game around in the 2nd half. Once we scored the first goal we just knew we'd come back.

Derby County V Sunderland - can't remember the score line, but it was really loud in the stadium that day (Pride Park can be loud ladies and gennulmen).

--

Games I couldn't attend.

Forest 2 - 3 Derby - Listening on the radio that day was amazing, never been so involved in a game I couldn't see. Watching the highlights that night, amazing.

That Arsenal is my favourite game of all time. Loved the banter with David Seaman. Seaman what's the score? Seaman, Seaman what's the score? To which he laughed and stuck 2 fingers up at us. Then he got the England's number 1 song. The Ian Wright bit was funny as we sang Ian W@nk w@nk w@nk and in The Sun's report it said Derby fans were brilliant and even sang a song to Ian Wright and David Seaman.

Palace away last season for me!! 1-1 I think it was... In London for 9am on the ram-page, all day bender, bout 17 of us, London bridge n met some millwall fans in the boozer ( they playing Cardiff) was full of derby fans, got on the tube to the ground and singing all the Way there, went into a pub that was full of palace, emptied the fruity £70, ended up singing in there too, went to the match, and completely took the piss out the palace fans, back to the tube station after and came across a load of palace boys giving it the big un, so we just took the piss and ended up having a laugh n joke with them, a big sing off ( we won) on the tube back n a load of Cardiff fans got on one carriage, us derby lot in the middle and millwall on another, police were all over that tube/ overground or whatever they called it, there was a silence as the train left millwalls station, then all of a sudden a loud chant of ... Oooh when the rammmmmmssss gooooo marching in broke out n then it was a friendly banterous journey between the 3 teams ending up England v Wales, 2 moments of when it could of really kicked off but never just turned into fun n banter,

After the train we had the Leicester square fun where we met a busker and that's how we started the 3 little birds song for dcfc, also won a further £55 in ladbrokes on roulette,

Great day, left derby at 7am returned absolutely wasted at 1.30am n straight into derby!

Palace away last season for me!! 1-1 I think it was... In London for 9am on the ram-page, all day bender, bout 17 of us, London bridge n met some millwall fans in the boozer ( they playing Cardiff) was full of derby fans, got on the tube to the ground and singing all the Way there, went into a pub that was full of palace, emptied the fruity £70, ended up singing in there too, went to the match, and completely took the piss out the palace fans, back to the tube station after and came across a load of palace boys giving it the big un, so we just took the piss and ended up having a laugh n joke with them, a big sing off ( we won) on the tube back n a load of Cardiff fans got on one carriage, us derby lot in the middle and millwall on another, police were all over that tube/ overground or whatever they called it, there was a silence as the train left millwalls station, then all of a sudden a loud chant of ... Oooh when the rammmmmmssss gooooo marching in broke out n then it was a friendly banterous journey between the 3 teams ending up England v Wales, 2 moments of when it could of really kicked off but never just turned into fun n banter,

After the train we had the Leicester square fun where we met a busker and that's how we started the 3 little birds song for dcfc, also won a further £55 in ladbrokes on roulette,

Great day, left derby at 7am returned absolutely wasted at 1.30am n straight into derby!

Looks as though the match spoiled your day 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Most of the 80's was like that for me, we used to hire a Transit from Atwall van hire near the BBG and park outside the Beau Brummel in Chadd, sometimes there'd be 4 or 5 of us, most times there'd have been 10 - 15 in the back, singing all the way there and back. Every game something bizarre would happen, so many memories, even the division 3 games were great when we took over grounds like Lincoln who had a home average of less than 1,000 and we turned up with 8,000. Great times.

Play-off semi vs Saints for me. Best atmosphere there's ever been at Pride Park, no question - not to mention it being a thriller of a game.

Play-off final was alright I suppose, but too tense to have been an enjoyable day (well until the final whistle went of course, at which point all hell broke loose and I remember going back to the huge pub opposite some tube station in the roughest part of North London, packed with Rams fans, dancing on tables. Not to mention the traffic jams on the motorway on the way back, loads of banter between the cars of Rams fans - had a chat with about 4 people I knew in different cars whilst doing 2 mph in the outside lane.

Then there's the away days - there's been some good 'uns.

Bristol City 2008, last away of the season - for some reason everyone got in the ground dead early - before 2 o'clock the end was packed, and our fans were class that day - shame we lost and played ****.

Millwall in the cup 2009. Not for the game which was a boring 1-1 draw, but for the banter, humour, laughs and mischief on the way there. Immense.

Forest this year just for how incredibly funny it was.

Blackpool this year. Away win, good following and absolute mayhem in Blackpool for 3 days.

Burnley this year as well was a great weekend, although the game was dire.

Leeds opening day last year. Quality all dayer, fights all over the shop, a win, fun and games on the trains, good laughs.

this one wern't bad either..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KJLrwfjZG4

Yeah great match , great atmosphere. Rather odd highlights; they show the fgoals plus some quite random action.

I remember a screamer of a free kick from Rioch somehow the keeper got something on it. Really we battered Real , the first pen was not really a pen but I thought we had decent shout for another one.

Yeah great match , great atmosphere. Rather odd highlights; they show the fgoals plus some quite random action.

I remember a screamer of a free kick from Rioch somehow the keeper got something on it. Really we battered Real , the first pen was not really a pen but I thought we had decent shout for another one.

Dodgey keeper for our third

Was slightly confused when I saw a free kick being taken from inside the box - but then i rememebr that much forgotten offense of obstruction.

Watney Cup Final was good, especially as I was only 8 seeing Best, Law, Charlton & co. (also saw the 5-3 semi-final win v Fulham at Craven Cottage). But for atmosphere I think was probably the 4-1 Forest game at the BBG. Was right behind Shilton's goal as John Duncan bullied their defence and Gerry Daly was absolutely on fire that day. Crowd carried me from one side of the pitch to the other!

This was the one match that engraved DCFC through me like a stick of rock, what a sensation of elation for a 13 year-old! 4-1, says it all. Nothing else comes close (sadly!)

Weird or what? I was going to mention my most entertaining match. Mo55y (hiya bro) asks about the self same match and even Ror Mc mentions it in the course of his great Talksport interview!

My Bro and I were both there in 1971 or 1972. As he says, it was a Wednesday night and we were standing on the Pop side.

At about 7 20 pm there was the most almighty thunderstorm and the BBG pitch was like something out of World War 1 by kick off at 7.30.

The 2 teams waded out and we kicked off. By 8 40 Derby had scored twice. Then Coventry got 2 back. It went to 3-3 and Coventry got the winner. It was certainly incredible and despite Derby losing both teams were applauded off at the end. Anyone else remember this?

Archived