John McGovern - your thoughts...

Alex_LTLF

Forest fan in peace (I realise this isn't the best of times to be venturing onto this forum considering the weekend's fixture!), doing some research for a book.

Wanted to get your thoughts on John McGovern. Is very much a Forest man now but he did spend six years with you, what did your fans who were around at the time make of him as a player? And what did you think when he signed for us? Would you shake his hand as part of the Derby championship-winning side or shun him as our European Cup captain?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer, and don't bother trying to abuse me - with our current form I'm totally immune to any humuliation! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure that it's entirely relevant, but i watched a Brian Clough documentary where McGovern said something along the lines of "Not my kind of man. Would I go out for a drink with him, no. But to work for him? I'd walk across the Sahara Desert to work for him again". I don't know why, but that stuck with me far more than any of the 100% pro Clough comments. Apologies for that being entirely unhelpful and offering no insight whatsoever.

Not the best player in the world but a round peg in a round hole. He scored some very important goals for us from midfield although he had a funny style of running, he ran with a very straight back and neck, he looked like a figure from super striker if your old enough to remember that game.

He was an integral part of a team that won the championship for the frst time for us and reached a european cup semi final ( yes i know he won two elsewhere) so as far as i am concerned that gives him a certain legendary status cause we sure as **** won't be having that experience ever again

i

Good footballer, but, just watched his interview about gay footballers, and thought he came across a complete idiot. Really stupid.

I didnt think he came across as an idiot or stupid. I just don't think he was comfortable talking about gay footballers & Justin Fashanu's lifestyle. He was obviously aware that if he was to speak his mind, he may offend.

i

I didnt think he came across as an idiot or stupid. I just don't think he was comfortable talking about gay footballers &amp; Justin Fashanu's lifestyle. He was obviously aware that if he was to speak his mind, he may offend.

Exactly, if he spoke his mind he would have offended....like i said, he sounded like an idiot

Pretty succesful career int'it, not bad for saying nobody talks about him outside of the east mids.

We were a better team with him playing. Once went to Leeds where we lost 5-0 when he wasn't playing. We realised later that he would have blocked at least three of the shots if he'd been on the pitch. That was a main part of his midfield defensive role. He could "man mark" very well too. Cloughie used to tell him to stick to someone and he did it.

It took a long time but fans took to him eventually.

If people choose to earn money out of football playing for forest all well and good, it's not a problem to me, he never tried to wind up the Derby fan's..... unlike camp lee. He was a very important player for us during promotion and league campaigns and when his time comes he will be respected as a Rams great.

Archived