evolution

Leeds Ram

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe in a thing called love.

Subject of evolution. Pretty interesting actually, in relation to humans I mean.

How many different versions of human came together to be us? I read somewhere the other day that the modern 'white' human has 4% of neanderthal DNA within it. Not sure what that means exactly, don't we share 60% with banana's?

Watched a program a while back where they theorise that at one time, as many as 7-9 different species of human were co-existing on this planet. Pretty mind boggling. Also read somewhere that the Chinese are in fact evolved from a different species of human.

It's a small matter mind, at one time neanderthals mated with who we consider ourselves once upon a time. So all 7 - 9 humans can't be that different.

Then there is Gareth Bale of course.

I believe in a thing called love.

Subject of evolution. Pretty interesting actually, in relation to humans I mean.

How many different versions of human came together to be us? I read somewhere the other day that the modern 'white' human has 4% of neanderthal DNA within it. Not sure what that means exactly, don't we share 60% with banana's?

Watched a program a while back where they theorise that at one time, as many as 7-9 different species of human were co-existing on this planet. Pretty mind boggling. Also read somewhere that the Chinese are in fact evolved from a different species of human.

It's a small matter mind, at one time neanderthals mated with who we consider ourselves once upon a time. So all 7 - 9 humans can't be that different.

Then there is Gareth Bale of course.

There really aren't that many "versions of human" that lead to the modern human. The multitude of names you can come across would generally refer to the state of evolution at a point in history. Neanderthals were homoerectus (more primitive) whilst homosapiens (modern humans) were a later and more intelligent sub species that eventually replaced homoerectus as the dominant species and inevitably caused its extinction. Some interbreeding probably occurred in the several thousand years they coexisted, this would be no different in principle to effectively cross breeding two types of similar dog. The genome contribution of Neanderthals is pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things. As it is hypothesised we derived from two waves of immigration from Africa into Europe, first homoerectus then homosapiens with the later ousting the first then all modern humans show difference only relating to and in accordance with the divergence in genetic sequencing that you'd expect over thousands of years.

Theories exist as to why the chinese look the way they do. One of which is a contingent of early humans migrated north east into Siberia after leaving Africa. Over thousands of years they stayed there, developed a broad cushion on the face to keep it warm and smaller eye openings to protect the eyes from blizzards and the white snow and the reflections of the sun on it. The last ice age (10k year + ago) pushed them down south in varying distances. As "countries" and boundaries formed with isolated breeding then the result is todays modern world. This sounds more plausiable to me than saying they are a sub species as evolution on its very basis promotes change or variation due to need, why would the chinese develop a different facial structure without cause?

And we're related to every single thing on earth, every animal and plant can trace its lineage back to a single primordial cell. The amount of difference in our genome is just a measure of time since a pair of ancestors became isolated enough and over time different enough to warrant being called another species. If we left those Amazonians deep in the jungle by themselves long enough and came back in say 30k+ years chances are they'd be classified as a different sub-species and we may not even be able to procreate life due to genetic difference.

I'm from a state that tried to remove evolution from the textbooks and your allowed to leave the class if you don't want to learn about it. I mean I love Kansas but seriously, some super WTF moments. I still don't believe Evolution should be a religious debate such at is, because I choose to believe that God still made this world(not like a Bible literalist would) in his own fashion. Even if I don't always have the warmest of relations wiith the Big Guy.

I'm from a state that tried to remove evolution from the textbooks and your allowed to leave the class if you don't want to learn about it. I mean I love Kansas but seriously, some super WTF moments. I still don't believe Evolution should be a religious debate such at is, because I choose to believe that God still made this world(not like a Bible literalist would) in his own fashion. Even if I don't always have the warmest of relations wiith the Big Guy.

Always interesting to hear how things play over the pond. As long as they're allowed to walk out of church in the same fashion and not suffer discrimination then that is an entitlement I guess, I strongly believe these things shouldn't be pushed on to anyone, that is my major gripe with religion and so I wouldn't want science to follow suit. If the religious are confident in their position I don't see the harm in teaching alternatives, having said that removing things from the public arena wouldn't exactly be anything new though.

Always interesting to hear how things play over the pond. As long as they're allowed to walk out of church in the same fashion and not suffer discrimination then that is an entitlement I guess, I strongly believe these things shouldn't be pushed on to anyone, that is my major gripe with religion and so I wouldn't want science to follow suit. If the religious are confident in their position I don't see the harm in teaching alternatives, having said that removing things from the public arena wouldn't exactly be anything new though.

It's amazing what you'll hear, especially in the "Bible Belt" of America. I had a girl in high school tell me the world was only 6,000 years old or whatever and that Caveman fought Dinosaurs. WTF!? Granted she was a home school student that only took music class up at the High School. She was nowwhere near the average Kansan, but they're there in their little hidey holes.

It's amazing what you'll hear, especially in the "Bible Belt" of America. I had a girl in high school tell me the world was only 6,000 years old or whatever and that Caveman fought Dinosaurs. WTF!? Granted she was a home school student that only took music class up at the High School. She was nowwhere near the average Kansan, but they're there in their little hidey holes.

"Only in America" springs to mind ha! I work quite closely with several American universities which do research in my line of work and so speaking to the scholars there (men of science) its quite amazing to hear how some (not all by any means) have to conceal their actual views due to fear of being isolated or discriminated against. I've never had the pleasure (or misfortune) of being in true "bible belt" country, I don't think Disney Land Florida really counts.

"Only in America" springs to mind ha! I work quite closely with several American universities which do research in my line of work and so speaking to the scholars there (men of science) its quite amazing to hear how some (not all by any means) have to conceal their actual views due to fear of being isolated or discriminated against. I've never had the pleasure (or misfortune) of being in true "bible belt" country, I don't think Disney Land Florida really counts.

And women!! Has no-one ever heard of Marie Curie then - besides countless others who don't really get recognised??

We're not extinct yet ya know! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

And women!! Has no-one ever heard of Marie Curie then - besides countless others who don't really get recognised??

We're not extinct yet ya know! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Apologies 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Apologies 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Very good. Carry on, I'm enjoying this debate, it's fascinating - although there's one point I have to disagree with you on Silly - there's no way on this green earth I'm related to a tree! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Archived