evolution

Leeds Ram

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm back! Whilst you may believe that (and that is fine) its not the position of science at all. The dawn of time is 13.7 billion years ago, this has been independently verified by multiple methods of dating all yielding the same answer, no coincidence.

[url=http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/11feb_map/]http://science.nasa....2003/11feb_map/

The link above is the oldest image in the universe, this caused a massive stir about 10 years ago, it confirmed a big bang explosion beyond doubt. If god exists, he created the big bang, that is the only concession science can give to religion now.

The early universe contained only 4 elements which explains their absolute abundance everywhere in the universe, Hydrogen, Helium, Deuterium and Lithium (the lightest of elements). You and I (what makes us up) are the result of massive stars undergoing a supernova explosion and this didn't occur for another 200 million years post big bang after the weakest of all four fundamental forces (gravity) began the arduous task of accumulating matter in a scattered universe. Crudely put, if enough hydrogen accumulates together, pressure and temperature builds (logical), the hydrogen begins to fuse (Nuclear fusion) creating helium and a star is born. Throughout a stars life the helium begins to fuse together forming heavier elements. These heavier elements also will fuse again, this happens until Iron is formed. Iron is incredibly dense and sinks to the core of the star and begins to accumulate, the gravitational field of the star (if big enough) will distort due to the heavy core and will eventually collapse in on itself and cause a huge explosion (a supernova). Up until this point we have only half a periodic table (everything including and below Iron). Now we have the conditions to do some very unnatural chemistry, Iron is the most stable element in the universe and forcing unwilling neutrons and protons into its already stable nucleus forms the other half of the periodic table (allowing life as we know it). So the gigantic star explodes releasing its bounty of elements which will eventually form (with gravity's help) asteroids, planets, comets etc. These will most likely form in orbit around another giant celestial object (a star) forming a solar system which inturn will orbit in conjunction with other solar systems around a giant black hole forming a galaxy. Only the most gigantic of stars form black holes and the only the most gigantic of gigantic stars will form giant black holes. I think its amazing to know we're all essentially made of star dust, I find this more fascinating than saying God made us, if he did, he did so indirectly.

That's what I said!

Those 4 elements encompass everything.

I feel a little bit dizzy.

That's what I said!

Those 4 elements encompass everything.

I feel a little bit dizzy.

I'm not really sure what you mean by they encompass everything, probably the way I'm reading it that is confusing me? That'd imply (to me) that heavier elements are simply amalgamations of smaller elements, bit more complicated than that! Deuterium isn't really an element I should add, its an istope of hydrogen so many would call it as three but I didn't really want to complicate things.

I just wanted to show people in a simple paragraph how the universe and elements formed according to science. If I remember rightly you're into this sort of thing yourself so I'd imagine nothing I've posted is really new to you, more for the benefit of others who may be interested.

Infact I probably see what you mean BlacknWhites, that the four are essentially the building blocks of all others and were present from the off, all of which is true.

Infact I probably see what you mean BlacknWhites, that the four are essentially the building blocks of all others and were present from the off, all of which is true.

That's warrameant, although I could never articulate it quite as clearly and precise as you. I'm just a reader of wiki and watcher of TV, youtube etc..

I still to this day, whenever I think about the things we are made of and the things I look at, can't quite believe that it was always in existence. It boggles the mind. We have literally, in a sense, always existed since the dawn of time.

Even more amazing that the elements that were preseant from the start have evolved into something that can store information and communicate with itself, like it is now under the guises of blacknwhites and sillybilly, or youngram and boycie.

That's warrameant, although I could never articulate it quite as clearly and precise as you. I'm just a reader of wiki and watcher of TV, youtube etc..

I still to this day, whenever I think about the things we are made of and the things I look at, can't quite believe that it was always in existence. It boggles the mind. We have literally, in a sense, always existed since the dawn of time.

Even more amazing that the elements that were preseant from the start have evolved into something that can store information and communicate with itself, like it is now under the guises of blacknwhites and sillybilly, or youngram and boycie.

Tis amazing. The BBC does some fantastic documentaries these days, I learn loads every time I watch one! Think Professor Brian Cox has done a lot to show science is accessible to everyone to learn and enjoy. Watched this one last night, I'd recommend if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vv0w8/Horizon_20102011_Asteroids_The_Good_the_Bad_and_the_Ugly/

Tis amazing. The BBC does some fantastic documentaries these days, I learn loads every time I watch one! Think Professor Brian Cox has done a lot to show science is accessible to everyone to learn and enjoy. Watched this one last night, I'd recommend if you haven't already seen it.

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vv0w8/Horizon_20102011_Asteroids_The_Good_the_Bad_and_the_Ugly/]http://www.bbc.co.uk...d_and_the_Ugly/

Here's me thinking TV was crap tonight, I've got the BBG nostalgia youtube clip from ramblur to watch, and now this.

Getting down on friday!

Archived