public sector workers strike

Dangerous

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Half of my office were on strike, i booked the day off prior as i knew my little ones school would be closed. Had a brill day spending quality time with her.

i can see why they are striking, the ammount of super ann i pay each month out of my wages would more than cover my shopping bill.

I for one would not like a 60+ person teaching my children for example.

Not being agest but would they have the same enthusiasm and up to date curriculum knowledge of them younger, i know they are constantly updating their knoweldge but i know i wouldn't want to be putting in them kind of hours when im getting on in the years.

Wanna save some money Cameron get the f**k out of europe stop bailing everyone else and sort your own back yard out.

Anyway I'm going to give my serious two pence.

I am generally in support of the strikes today.

This is because I believe the pension reforms are unfair. Everyone should get a good pension. I find it sad that the private sector and public sector are divided because the private sector don't want the public sector to have pensions just because they don't have their own. This is self defeatist. Everyone should get a good pension.

Yes, I agree that some public workers are well looked after, such as tube drivers on £48k. But a lot of people aren't. They work minimum wage, and often part time. This year real income has decreased by 3.5% (Income has increased by 1.5% but inflation is 5% so this reverses the effect into -3.5%). By taking another 3% of people's incomes people are losing nearly 7% of their income. How is this fair when they already really poor?

As well as being unfair it is economic suicide. 7% less income is going to keep millions of people with less disposable cash to spend on the high street, where their money can be put back into the economy. Electronics stores have taken a battering, as have HMV and Arcadia. Also Thomas Cook. These are British businesses whose customers are ordinary people. A lot of people shop at Topman, HMV etc. So it is no surprise that these companies are struggling because ordinary people are being screwed over. Notice how luxury goods markets don't seem to have been affected?

It's morally, socially and financially a gash decision by the government.

I hate how the public sector is disregarded and scapegoated when tax evasion and tax avoidance combined costs us up to £90bn a year. Poor people are being made to pay for what the supersonically increasing salaried rich are not paying.

WorksopRam with his jobsworths comment

Daveo with his laziness comment

Dangerous with his public sector workers are highly paid comment

Some are these things, and some aren't - just like in the private sector.

they are highly paid for the work they do,they have been for years.

I do think the solution would have been to cut benefits.Then the workers would escape penalties.

Serious amount of brush tarring going on in this thread.

I work in the NHS, earn a very small amount of money, a lot less than I could if I had the same job in the Private Sector. Did I feel compelled to strike today? No, because by the time i'm at a pensionable age all the rules will have changed again, several times and in any case I get paid to do my job, if I don't like the deal i'm getting, i'll look for another one.

Do I agree with the strikers? No, because they should be damn grateful to have any job at all at the present, however they are only standing up for what is best for them - just like the students were earlier this year, just like the miners were all those years ago, so cut the name calling and stereotyping it just makes you look stupid and bitter.

Absolutely - there is a case I've heard of and I'll say right now it's not unique either - a bloke has currently worked in the public sector for 38 years and contributed over the years into his pension, only to be told it's not worth what he paid in. Who wouldn't feel robbed by that?

What governments have done to pensions is tantamount to theft. They get round it by changing the laws as and when it suits them to give them an excuse to raid pension pots. Gordon Brown did it in 93 didn't he? It's wrong, it's not their money to nick.

They're experts at embezzlement, just like Maxwell was.

My bin men are lazy feckers, if I don't pull the bin 6ft down the drive they won't take it, if I leave 1 extra bag by my bin they won't take it.

My comment about my bin men still stands, they are lazy feckers.

I don't know too much about all this.

I was just being hilarious.

While the strike has been claimed as about pension cuts, in reality it is a protest against government cuts in general. It is illegal for unions to strike over anything that does not directly affect their own members terms and conditions of employment.

Therefore they got together and all decided to hold the strike on the same day while claiming it was about the pensions.

Its a protest, a one day shout at the government to let them know that not every one believes the lie about the only way to save the world is to take money from the poor to give to the rich.

The right wing press, ably led by Rupe, have succeeded in destroying intelligent debate about economics and politics and convinced people that Public service workers have somehow created the problems in this country.

It is to our everlasting shame that our generation is being conned into allowing them to take back everything our grandparents fought for.

We have had over 30 years of regressive policies under the Tories and New Labour and now the Eton chinless wonders believe they can take us back to the days of doffing our caps and knowing our place.

I have worked all my life in the private sector yet I support the strikers and the Occupy london/new york/chicago/athens/barcelona etc,etc protestors with all my heart.

Every penny that is taken off ordinary workers leads to a race to the bottom.

Read the Mail, Telegraph, Sun etc by all means lads.... but when you read the political coverage just remember the vested interests of the owners of those papers.

If the public sector is booming it follows that the private sector does. (if the government decide to build a million affordable houses, guess who would do it, yes, the private sector, thousands and thousands of jobs created, thousands and thousands off the dole and paying tax, vat, fuel duty etc,etc, millions and millions saved on benefit payments).

The overwhelming evidence of the last 30 years is that countries whose public sector has been eroded have seen a lowering of living standards amongst the lower and middle sections of society.

Race to the bottom - look it up and read summat different than what they want you to.

Public sector workers are asked to contribute more to their pension each month - and yet, despite the increase in payments, they won't be getting a better pension.

Basically, public sector workers are paying a tax to pay off the debt.

Irrespective of how good their pension is in the first place - that's just not on. I support the strike, but unfortunately, Cameron was right - it turned out to be a damp squib. There wasn't really any major disruption. I had 5th period off today, that was about it for me.

Jeremy Clarkson, I have to say, sometimes makes me laugh - but that statement is just dreadful and shows his ignorance and indifference. It's really not surprising though when he's minted, why should he give a toss?

When you invite Jeremy Clarkson onto the One Show what do you expect?

Alot of what he says is the "shock" value abit like Frankie Boyle, his solution to most problems is to shoot/burn them all, that's Clarkson.

The One Show are the thickos here if they expected any different from him.

Think it's sad he's had to apologise as people haven't got a sense of humour.

The last national government to bow to union pressure and provide and maintain generous pensions to its public sector staff was Greece. The fiscal planning and spending cuts by the coalition may be unpopular but they are necessary given the circumstances we are in.

We've all dined on credit for the last 10 years or more, it's time to pay the bill, people in the private sector are.

Unison has said it is taking urgent legal advice over "appalling" comments made by TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson about striking public sector workers.

Speaking on The One Show on the BBC last night, the Top Gear presenter said people protesting about pension reforms should be "shot".

He added: "I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families."

Unison, which represents more than one million public sector workers, has called on the corporation to sack Clarkson.

The union said it was considering whether the comments should be referred to the police.

Dave Prentis, general secretary of Unison, said: "Clarkson's comments on The One Show were totally outrageous, and they cannot be tolerated.

"Public sector workers and their families are utterly shocked by Jeremy Clarkson's revolting comments. We know that many other licence fee-payers share our concerns about his outrageous views.

"The One Show is broadcast at a time when children are watching - they could have been scared and upset by his aggressive statements. An apology is not enough - we are calling on the BBC to sack Jeremy Clarkson immediately. Such disgusting statements have no place on our TV screens."

The BBC issued an apology over the comments, which sparked hundreds of angry comments on Twitter.

A spokesman said: "The One Show apologised at the end of the show to viewers

who may have been offended by Jeremy Clarkson's comments."

Clarkson also said: "I mean, how dare they go on strike when they've got these gilt-edged pensions that are going to be guaranteed while the rest of us have to work for a living?"

More to follow...

[url=http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16121698]http://news.sky.com/...rticle/16121698

Unbelievable

If the public sector is booming it follows that the private sector does. (if the government decide to build a million affordable houses, guess who would do it, yes, the private sector, thousands and thousands of jobs created, thousands and thousands off the dole and paying tax, vat, fuel duty etc,etc, millions and millions saved on benefit payments).

Doesn't that sound like a great idea to boost the economy Uttox, increase public spending...

No-one has a brain these days.

Lower the 50% income tax threshold to anything above £80,000 p/a.

Lower the income tax to 5% for anyone earning less than £15,000 p/a.

This will mean more spare income can be spent in Britain.

Directors of FTSE 100 companies rewarded themselves with a 50% pay increase on average this year. Tax more of that.

I can't believe actually believe that poor people should have to make the most sacrificial payments to reduce the deficit. It just shows the power of Murdoch's media.

While public sector pensions are better than private they are still poor, the private sector should demand better pensions. What is annoying a lot of people is that the contract they signed when going into the public sector is basically worthless, they will have to work longer, pay more and receive less in the majority of cases. Everyone should demand a better pension, the private sector pensions are appalling and something should be done about it. My folks put 100 pounds each a month in which isn't a small amount. The government are screwing people and are being unreasonable.

Whislt you clearly have a good grasp on what the basic arguement is, unfortunately I'm not 100% you know exactly how pensions work in the public vs. private sector.

Currently private sector enployees are obliged to provide some form of pension provision - be it a DC scheme, a stakeholder scheme or simply access via a third party. Really in the private sector the emphasis is on people to take action themselves but overall the general provision of finance and advice in the UK is decent. Forcing firms to do more puts a huge strangle hold on small to medium businesses

Historically the public sector pensions have been more generous to compensate for reduced wages. Unfortunately due to a combination of an aging population, previous public centre pension mismanagement and the mess the UK finds itself financially reforms along the line of what is happening (increased contributions & longer working) are necesary.

Whilst I sympathise a great deal with public sector workes, I cannot see an alternatvie. Yes, you can cry 'tax the bankers' but in practice this isnt that simple. Also, public sector pension reform is required for its long term stability. Public sector pensions have been excellent for years - look at how comfortably teachers, police etc have been able to retire after 30ish years service. Unfortunately this is just not sustainable anymore.

Again, whilst I sympathise, I think this is just a necesary evil that is required. As said in this thread previosuly - there will be a myriad of changes to public/private sector pension regulation over the next 20-30 years so this is probably just the tip of the iceberg

Archived